Subject: [Fwd: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Code List Schema]

Oops, meant to send this to everyone...

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Code List Schema
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 11:22:04 -0500
From: Eve L. Maler <eve.maler@sun.com>
To: CRAWFORD, Mark <MCRAWFORD@lmi.org>

It's not technically a schema, only because each code list producer that
uses our template will then have a finished schema of their own.  Our
rules just give schema construction advice, along with providing a
template for a schema document that they then will want to fill out.

I have been reluctant to call it a schema because it would imply that
we've invented a vocabulary for encoding code lists, something like the
ebXML Registry Information Model's <ClassificationScheme> schema.  We
need these code list producers to create a schema -- not an XML instance
that uses a specialized vocabulary.

Sorry if this is confusing; it's the nature of XML!

	Eve

CRAWFORD, Mark wrote:
> Eve,
>
> Is your reluctance to call it a schema because what we publish will have no details (such as using ISO 3166 as you did) but just a generic content model?   Or is there something else I am missing?  My understanding was that we would provide a standard schema that organizations would then use (populate) with their own details to create their own schema for publishing their code lists.  In this fashion, all code lists would be available in the same schema module structure - regardless of source.
>
> BTW, I have convinced the EPA that this is the right approach and believe that Navy and GSA will follow suite.  That should be sufficient traction to get it adopted by most federal agencies.  I will also be pitching it at the 7372MA meeting next week, at the ATG meeting in two weeks, and to X12 in Denver.
>
> Re doing the work, if no one else steps up, I may be able to have Jessica work it using EPA money.  Will keep you posted.
>
> Mark

Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 354 9441
Web Technologies and Standards               eve.maler @ sun.com