Subject: [ubl-ndrsc] NDR agenda item: major/minor version numbers in NamespaceURN's

Title: Message
We don't have a firm rule for expressing versioning information in our vocabulary(s).

The 0p70 schemas put version information in the namespace URI.  The NDR doc doesn't give a specific format for those -- just says [TBD version information].  In the 0p70 release I don't really understand the system we're using.  Here's the Order URN:

urn:oasis:names:tc:ubl:Order:1.0:0.70

It appears that there are two version components here: "1.0" and "0.70".  In the NDR doc we _hint_ at a major/minor scheme.  Is the "1.0" meant to denote a major designator, and "0.70" minor?

If those are respectively major and minor numbers, then I propose:

* change the number scheme so that the major number is a non-negative integer and the minor number is a non-negative integer

That'd make, e.g. the Order urn look like:

urn:oasis:names:tc:ubl:Order:0:7

That'd be major version 0 and minor version 7.  We'd go change the other URN's accordingly.

Bill Burcham
Sr. Software Architect, Standards and Applied Technology
Sterling Commerce, Inc.
469.524.2164
bill_burcham@stercomm.com