Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Re: [ubl-lcsc] NDR Rule [R5]

Tim McGrath wrote:
> When we say clarity, we mean....
>
> a. the issue is not "XML names" but "UBL Names" - it is unclear what
> "XML names"(R5) and "Names" (R7) mean in this context.

I think it is clear (UBL names of the XML elements, or, to put it differntly,
but with the same meaning, the names of the UBL xml elements). But is not
*made* clear. Yes, the statement could be more precise.

> b. neither R5 nor R7 prevent punctuation characters appearing in the UBL
> Name (and by definition the tag name derived from it).  for example
> apostrophe is not a separator (R5), the OED says it is spelt "e-mail"
> not "email"(R7).  we believe we want to avoid anything but a-Z and 0-9
> ever being used in UBL Names.  this aids consistency of naming and also
> avoids some of the syntacially issues with programming applications that
> generate the schemas.
> It seems we can identify and exclude each character individually (and
> argue about what 'non letter characters' mean) or just say "we only
> allow a to Z and 0 to 9" and be done with it.

The problem, as I see it, and which you questioned in another message but
I will answer in this one because why not, the problem is that NDR is,
or will be, used not only for UBL in OED, but also for UBL or UBL derived
or UBL compliant or any other combination of UBL in other languages. When
I said in a previous message that "it is not in our purview" I meant not
ISO 8859 languages but others (such as Hebrew, Arabic, South East Asian,
Chinese, Japanese, Tibetan, Korean, etc. etc. etc.). I think that listing
the range of characters in ISO 8859 1/7/15 and then saying something like
"and their equivalents in other scripts" would be enough to give this
a non English centric flavour (see? I do know my OED too!) IOW what I'm
proposing is to say that we use the equivalent of [a-zA-Z] in a manner
that includes scripts other than the one used by English but remains firmly
rooted in the Latin script, which is the one most of us know.

However, if this is too controversial or will cause any delays, then to hell
w/it, let's just do l'anglais.