Subject: RE: [ubl-ndrsc] Digital Signatures

I apologize for entering the conversation late, but are we talking about the
document carrying a signature for itself?

What was signed must be either preserved or described.  We describe (through
canonicalization) in order to allow for certain changes to the source --
such as elimination of comments, or rearranging of attributes.  The nature
and degree of acceptable change is application-specific.

Choosing the signature representation and algorithm described in the X.509
certificate standard doesn't free us from this burden.  Regardless of
algorithm and signature representation, these steps will happen:

0. XML source document exists
[1. optionally: XML is canonicalized]
2. digest algorithm is applied to some representation of the XML
3. the digest is digitally signed
4. the digest, and signature are stored back into the infoset (0)

What advice does X.509 provide for (1)?  What advice does it provide for
(2).  It provides some advice for the format of (4) (DER encoded structures)
-- but how is that represented back into XML (UBL)?

The XML Digital Signature standard http://www.w3.org/TR/xmldsig-core/ and
its companion specification, Canonical XML
http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xml-c14n-20010315 prescribe solutions to 1,2,3
and 4.  Furthermore, there are working implementations of XML Dsig both Free
and commercial readily available.

My counterproposal, therefore, is to use XML Digital Signature... That is
_if_ we need to do digital signatures at all :-)