Subject: RE: [ubl-ndrsc] Digital Signatures

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Paul Thorpe wrote:

>>On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Burcham, Bill wrote:

>>> My counterproposal, therefore, is to use XML Digital Signature... That is
>>> _if_ we need to do digital signatures at all :-)
>>
>>If there is no authenication, who will trust the UBL documents outside of
>>their own organization.  The point of UBL is business to business communication,
>>right?
>>
>>Paul

I'd just like to add my 2 cents on the this last part.

The point is certainly valid that B2B needs authentication.
Yet the same could apply to security (ie encrypted content
on top of authentication), logging (accountability),
error handling, error recovery, integrity checks (e.g.
rudimentary CRC checks, checksums, or hash bytes for purpose
of checksuming, etc), and many other very nice to haves.

On the other hand, we see that many businesses today are
using the open Email protocol to send unencrypted quotations,
sales orders, invoices, etc across.  Some EDI installations,
I was told, use plain FTP, and the end-point business entities
are ok with that.  It may not be the best, but all other factors
considered, such as complexity of implementation, cost of
implementation, maintenance, inconvenience to customers or
suppliers, confusion due to difference in technical levels,
etc, business entities might still want to make do with the
most simplistic communication available.

I am guessing Bill Burcham's words about "_if_ we need to do
digital signatures" to mean if we need to do that *within*
UBL, instead of leveraging other standards work to apply on
generic XML contents.  I wonder if having UBL incorporate
and thereby endorsing use of certain mode or mechanism of
digital signature will be for the better or not.

Best Regards,
Chin Chee-Kai
SoftML
Tel: +65-6820-2979