Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Rule: 89

I would change the text:

>[R 89]   When the use of a new acronym or apprviation is approved fo ruse
>in UBL documents, the acronyms or abbreviations MUST be taken from the latest
>version of the Pocket Oxford English Dictionary. If more than one value is
>provided it should be the first occurrence listed for a word will be the
>preferred item to be used.

Do we need something here to handle possible collisions with existing
abbreviations? What about abbreviations that make words that may/may not be
used elsewhere? Seems like this rule or the previous one that said they can
be added should state some additional requirements (assuming you agree we
should avoid these problems) Also what happens if we agree that we want an
abbreviation and one is not in the dictionary, should we state a method for
creating one, or should it be that we don't use the abbreviation?

I have seen a general rule for creation (when they don't exist other wise)
to be: "Drop all the vowels from the word."