Subject: Re: [ubl-ndrsc] Containers?

thanks Dan for encapsulating the overall concepts involved in this
debate.  i think you have described a common view and are correct in
claiming this is not an XML issue, but a conceptual design one.

my take on these points is:

a. the containers we have currently adopted are based on normalising the
business entities and their attributes into ABIEs, BBIEs and ASBIEs.
 this creates a conceptual model that can be expressed in XML or any
other data representation language including database schemas.  to
create 'documents' from these we create hierarchical paths joining the
ABIEs togethers, based on the context of the document in question.  for
example, an Invoice mights view a relationship as Line-Item-Package and
a Delivery Docket as Line-Package-Item.  thats the way it has been done
for 5000 years and we are not going to change this.
following this approach gives us nested hierarahcies of containers based
on recognised associations. i don't think we have had too many arguments
that this delivers useful models and resultant schemas.

- which leads to my next point:

b. some documents (emphasise the 'some') have a structural pattern.  you
cite the example of Order=Header+LineItem(s) {sometimes people like +
Summary as well}. i agree these are patterns but what value does
formally identifying these give us? they are not terribly re-usable
because they are containers for one specific type of document.  for
example, an OrderLine cannot be re-used as an InvoiceLine.  they are not
universal patterns.  in some ways it is unfortunate that UBL chose the
procurement business context for its initial library.  the
Header-Line(s)-Summary is replaced by
Header-Good(s)-TransportEquipment(s) -Summary or just Header on its own
or just TransportEquipment(s) in things like Transport documents.  once
we move away from provurement, it soon gets very messy.  So we come to a
situation where we would have difficulty formalising an approach to
identify these structures (outside their already known business
associations) and the results would not gain more re-usability.
i have given a fair amount of thought as to why these structures are
appealling on first examination.  the two answers i can come up with are
that 'this is how the printed documents always look' or 'it helps with
containership processing'.  not surprisingly, these are related factors.
 however, i think the former has little bearing on e-business electronic
documents and the latter (which i understand is an XML issue) seems to
be debatable.

I think the situation we now have is that we favour not committing to an
approach we are unsure is necessary.

If i cast your example in pseudo-UBL it would look like this...

<PurchaseOrder aka Order>
        Date
        Purchaser
        Shipping Address