Subject: Re: SV: [ubl-psc] UBL PSC TC- Schema Generation

At 2009-10-09 14:20 +0300, Fulya Tuncer wrote:
>Actually the thing that I wanted to ask is that if an ABIE includes
>both elements with v 2.0 and elements with v 2.1. then what should
>"Current Version"
>of that ABIE be? For example, in the enclosed order change document
>document, the current version of header ABIE is declared as v2.0,
>although it includes v2.1 element.

My recollection, Fulya, is that the UBL version column tells the
reader the version at which the row was introduced into the
model.  So in your example it would not change from 2.0 when adding
new contents for 2.1.

It would be redundant to update every ABIE to the latest version for
every change, as that does not convey any new information:  you
already know an ABIE was updated for 2.1 if any of its members are
2.1, but if you changed the ABIE version column you would lose the
version that that ABIE was introduced.

So, by marking each row by the version that that row was introduced
into the model, then you know two things:  when it was introduced,
and (by looking at its members) when it's contents were last
changed.  This way an ABIE would stay at version 2.0 while its
members include 2.1 and 2.2 and others.

I guess the question remains, however, regarding BBIEs and
ASBIEs:  should a new version change the cardinality of an old
version, then perhaps the version number *should* change for that
row.  This tells the model reader when *this* version of the leaf was
introduced into the model (in order to compare an earlier
version).  But I can argue either way just as strongly.  One could
alternatively say that changing the cardinality is just like changing
a member, so leave the version as the version it was introduced.

So I am confident in my answer for ABIEs but not so for ASBIEs and BBIEs.

If I were forced to make a decision, I would leave the old version
number for ASBIEs and BBIEs so that that column *always* represents
the version at which a row was introduced into the table.

How do others feel?

--
Upcoming: hands-on code list, UBL, XSLT, XQuery and XSL-FO classes
in Copenhagen Denmark and Washington DC USA, October/November 2009