Subject: Re: SV: [ubl-psc] Meeting in the UBL PSC

I like Kees's observation that the original order's line item could be copied into the order response's line item.

At 2012-11-16 06:45 +0000, Martin Forsberg wrote:
The issue occurs in the OrderResponse, where a line doesn?t restate the Item, only refer to the order. When accepting an orderline we refer to the order line, use a code saying accept and that?s it.

Would that not violate a practice (not a principle!) that UBL documents are somewhat self-contained? Is there a burden in copying the original order's item details into the order response? In my naïveté I would think the original element and all its descendants could just be copied.

Then the order response would be more standalone (and useful?) allowing someone to act on the items of the order response without having to dereference the original order.

Of course there are times when we have to make a reference and not copy all of the information, but I think this is a case where the order response's copy of the order's line item information is useful and could preclude the need to dereference the referenced original order.

I worry about making too many things optional. I get the impression interoperability is promoted when all parties are obliged to enter more of a minimum of information.

Good luck in your PSC meeting today!

Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm
Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/
G. Ken Holman                   mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com