ubl-security message

Subject: Re: [spam] Re: [ubl-security] A Simpler Solution [was: Questions regarding the XAdES Profile]

At 2010-08-27 17:42 +0200, Roberto Cisternino wrote:
> > f) - Do not introduce ambiguity in the solution.
>
>this can be solved easely, I just described how we can use existing
>cac:Signatures to solve main issues.
>I skipped other specific things here that have been already described before.

And I believe those specific things that were described before were
shown to fall short of what is required for a solution.  You and I
had email exchanges on some of these months ago.

Forgive me, Roberto, but my request to this list today was for
*specific* direction on how the Security SC wants me to change the
already proposed extension schemas to deliver to Jon in the shortest
possible time.

> > Other UBL extensions are first-class parts of the UBL document and
> > should, I believe, never be excluded from the signature.  When I sign
> > a document, the signature area is excluded, but anything that isn't
> > signature related (which includes all extensions) I believe must be
> > signed and protected.  If I have line item extensions under another
> > extension point, I would not want them excluded from the signature.
>
>I agree, but this can be solved in two ways:
>
>a) Sign just extensions containing signatures

I think not, because we have to sign business objects, not
signatures.  Because of the "here()" function in the W3C
specification, and the hunt for a common ancestor, we cannot have
separate extensions each containing signature information.

>b) add a separate ext:UBLSignatureExtension to solve ambiguities

I would need to see your details to understand this, as I don't know
where you are going with it.

> > I'm unclear on your point here.
>
>cac:Signature is about metadata for the signature, also it is used in
>different document contexts not just the root (see CoO) so I think could
>be still valuable its usage in UBL.
>I proposed to remove any cac:Signature from the signed content (through an
>xpath filter) to allow people using cac:Signature extensively at any time
>in the document life-cycle.

This direction is not consistent with how I've seen signature hash
functions in ODF and OCF.  Implementers may find such a transform
expression a challenge.  How would you write the necessary hash
transformation expression?

>This is possible because cac:Signature will not invalidate anymore any
>previous signature.
>So we can avoid inserting too much rules to limit its usage or deprecate
>it in some way.
>My opinion is UBL is correct with cac:Signature from the business point of
>view, so we should just find the way to play signature in an easy way for
>software developers.

My interpretation of the cac:Signature children (metadata) is that
they would only apply if you were *not* using XAdES.  It duplicates
the information found in the W3C Digital Signature
specification.  And, as soon as a single signature is applied to the
document, this metadata cannot change for other signatures or it
invalidates the first signature.

Somewhere back in this thread it was observed that cac:Signature is
structured the way it is to accommodate many kinds of signatures, and
only the identifier is useful (and stable) when using XAdES and W3C
Digital Signatures.

When you propose to remove cac:Signature from the signed content,
which descendants of cac:Signature do you expect to be using or
modifying in the life cycle of applying multiple signatures?  Here is the list:

  ID An identifier for the Signature.
  Note Free form text about the signature or the circumstances where
the signature has been used.
  ValidationDate Specifies the date when the signature was approved.
  ValidationTime Specifies the time when the signature was approved.
  ValidatorID Identifies the organization, person, service or server
that has validated the signature.
  CanonicalizationMethod The mathematical logic method used by the Signature.
  SignatureMethod The method of signature.
  SignatoryParty An association to the signing Party.
  DigitalSignatureAttachment Refers to the actual encoded signature
(e.g., in XMLDSIG format).
  OriginalDocumentReference

>Sorry Ken if I just provided a macro solution but I know I am not the only
>one so I am sure you and others can help to refine my idea if well
>accepted.

The time for macro solutions was a year ago when these specifications
were being conceived, or even a month ago when we saw the need for
packaging coming up, not after PRD1 packaging has already begun.

I will soon be late supplying to Jon the W3C Schema fragment
supporting the decisions of the Security SC.

I need explicit direction as soon as possible regarding what exactly
is to replace the current proposed mechanisms and
expressions.  Please tell me what I change for Jon ... he is waiting
for me to deliver the schemas.

A number of the issues brought up in the last 48 hours are issues
that were brought up months ago and already answered or addressed.  I
think the time for macro solutions is long passed.  We need something
that can be tested by our users.

--
XSLT/XQuery training:   after http://XMLPrague.cz 2011-03-28/04-01
Vote for your XML training:   http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/i/