ubl-security message

Subject: Draft 10 of the UBL Digital Signature Profile for review

Hello UBL Security Subcommittee,

Attached is an edited version of the UBL Digital Signature Profiles 1.0
Draft 09 of 19 January 2011.  I have labeled it Draft 10.  Both the XML
(DocBook) source and generated PDF are attached, together with a diff
file showing precisely the changes between the two drafts.

Please review this new draft carefully, keeping in mind that the editor
(me) has very little knowledge of digital signature technology and can
easily introduce technical errors in the process of working with the
language.

This document is intended to form part of UBL 2.1 and will be included
in UBL 2.1 PRD2.  In order to keep to our projected schedule for PRD2, I
am setting a one-week review cycle for the draft attached.  If any
member of the Security SC sees something that needs to be corrected or
added to this draft, please register the change to this mail list before
COB Sunday 27 March 2011.

UBL 2.1 PRD3, currently scheduled for 3Q2011, will offer one more
opportunity to modify the Digital Signature Profile, but since many
implementers will be looking to PRD2 for the technical direction we are
taking in UBL 2.1, it is important that we try to keep such
modifications to a minimum.  I would therefore appreciate the attention
of every SC member to this draft.

Best regards,

Jon Bosak
Chair, OASIS UBL TC

7,8c7,8
< <!ENTITY standard "Committee Draft 09">
< <!ENTITY stage "cd09">
---
> <!ENTITY standard "Committee Draft 10">
> <!ENTITY stage "cd10">
15c15
< <!ENTITY pubdate "19 January 2011">
---
> <!ENTITY pubdate "20 March 2011">
257c257
<   <section id="INTRO" role="informative">
---
>   <section id="INTRO" role="non-normative">
262,264c262,264
<       creating orders or invoices. In some countries, existing
<       legislation requires the invoices to be electronically
<       signed.</para>
---
>       creating orders or invoices. In some countries, digitally signing
>       electronic invoices is required by law.</para>

266c266,267
<       use such signatures in a document. There are a number of standard
---
>       use such signatures in a document. (See current UBL documentation
>       for more regarding these terms.) There are a number of standard
274,278c275,305
<       <para>The implementation of the extension used in the enveloped
<         profile also serves as a model of a typical UBL extension. Those
<         wishing to create their own UBL extension can mimic the schema
<         and namespace structures used here.</para>
<     </note>
---
>       <para>The implementation of the extension used in the "enveloped"
>         profile described below also serves as a model of a typical UBL
>         extension. Those wishing to create their own UBL extension can
>         mimic the schema and namespace structures used here.</para>
>         </note>
>
>     <para><xref linkend="b_xmldsig"/> is a general framework for
>       digitally signing XML documents.  ETSI TS 101 903, also known as
>       <xref linkend="b_XAdES"/>, is an XML electronic signature standard
>       that can be used to create different XML Advanced Electronic
>       Signatures.  XAdES extends XMLDSig for use with advanced and
>       qualified electronic signatures as specified in European Union
>       Directive <xref linkend="b_1999-93-EC"/>. Use of XAdES is not
>       limited to Europe, as it is being adopted by many countries
>       outside the EU, and, at the time of publication of this
>       specification, it is undergoing standardization in ISO TC 154 as
>       ISO/CD 14533-2.</para>
>
>    <para>One important benefit of XAdES is that it allows the
>       addition of information and timestamps that extend the validity
>       of a signature beyond the expiration or revocation of the
>       electronic certificates involved in signature verification or
>       the obsolescence of the underlying cryptographic keys and
>       algorithms.  By extending XMLDSig with additional embedded
>       syntax and processing, XAdES satisfies the European Commission
>       Directive on a Community Framework for Electronic Signatures as
>       well as other use cases requiring long-term preservation of
>       signed documents. XAdES contains several modules that permit
>       various levels of security, such as non-repudiation with
>       timestamps, certification data, and certification
>       archives.</para>
280,302c307,308
<     <para>TS 101 903 is a XML electronic signature standard that can be
<       used to create different XML Advanced Electronic Signatures <xref
<         linkend="b_XAdES"/>. As XMLDSig is a general framework for
<       digitally signing XML documents, XAdES extends XMLDSig for use
<       with advanced and qualified electronic signature in the meaning of
<       European Union Directive 1999/93/EC. Use of XAdES is not limited
<       to Europe as it being adopted by many countries outside the EU
<       and, at the time of publication of this specification, it is under
<       standardization process in ISO TC 154 [ISO/CD 14533-2]. One
<       important benefit from XAdES is that electronically signed
<       documents validity can be extended for long periods, longer than
<       the expiration of the electronic certificates involved in
<       signature verification and also if underlying cryptographic keys
<       and algorithms security becomes inadequate.</para>
<     <para>XAdES extends XMLDSig with additional embedded syntax and
<       processing necessary to satisfy the European Commission Directive
<       on a Community Framework for Electronic Signatures as well as
<       other use-cases requiring long-term preservation of signed
<       documents. XAdES itself contains several modules that permit
<       various levels of security such as non-repudiation with time-
<       stamps, certification data and certification archives.</para>
<     <para>The technical work of standardization of electronic signatures
<       was supported by the European Commission and mandated to the
---
>     <para>The work of standardizing electronic signatures was
>       supported by the European Commission and assigned to the
308,324d313
<     <!--
< <para>The goals of UBL Security Subcommittee, according to its Charter, are:</para>
<
< <itemizedlist>
< </listitem>
< </listitem>
< </listitem>
< </listitem>
< </listitem>
< </itemizedlist>
< -->
<
326,328c315,320
<       profiles (approaches) to signing UBL documents: enveloped and
<       detached. Each of those approaches uses XMLDSig that may or may
<       not include XAdES features.</para>
---
>       profiles that represent two approaches to signing UBL documents:
>       enveloped and detached. Each of these approaches uses XMLDSig in a
>       way that may or may not include XAdES features. In other words,
>       the mechanisms implemented here can be used not only to implement
>       XAdES in these two ways but also to implement other signature
>       technologies based on XMLDSig as well.</para>
333a326
> <!--
341a335
> -->
357,365c351,358
<                 of integrity, message authentication and/or signer
<                 authentication. (However, this specification sometimes
<                 uses the term signature generically such that it
<                 encompasses Authentication Code values as well, but this
<                 specification is careful to make the distinction when
<                 the property of signer authentication is relevant to the
<                 exposition.) A signature may be (non-exclusively)
<                 described as detached, enveloping, or enveloped <xref
<                   linkend="b_xmldsig"/>.</para>
---
>                 of integrity and message authentication and/or signer
>                 authentication. (This specification sometimes also uses
>                 the term signature generically in a way that encompasses
>                 Authentication Code values as well, but care has been
>                 taken to make the distinction clear when signer
>                 authentication is relevant.) A signature may be
>                 (non-exclusively) described as detached, enveloping, or
>                 enveloped <xref linkend="b_xmldsig"/>.</para>
373c366
<               <para>The processing of a data from its source to its
---
>               <para>The processing of data from its source to its
564d556
<
574a567,570

> http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31999L0093:en:HTML

621c617
<               <?nospell-end?><title><ulink
---
>               <?nospell-end?><citetitle><ulink
623c619
<               >Canonical XML Version 1.0</ulink></title>
---
>               >Canonical XML Version 1.0</ulink></citetitle>
627c623
<               37</abbrev><title><ulink
---
>               37</abbrev><citetitle><ulink
630c626
<               Recommendation</ulink></title> 2010-09-27</bibliomixed>
---
>               Recommendation</ulink></citetitle> 2010-09-27</bibliomixed>
634c630
<               <?nospell-end?><title><ulink
---
>               <?nospell-end?><citetitle><ulink
636c632
<               Path Language (XPath) Version 2.0</ulink></title>
---
>               Path Language (XPath) Version 2.0</ulink></citetitle>
641c637
<           al <?nospell-end?><title><ulink
---
>           al <?nospell-end?><citetitle><ulink
643c639
<               (XPointer) Version 1.0 Working Draft</ulink></title>
---
>               (XPointer) Version 1.0 Working Draft</ulink></citetitle>
647,648c643,644
<               <title><ulink url="http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/";>XSL
<               Transformations (XSLT) Version 2.0</ulink></title>
---
>               <citetitle><ulink url="http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/";>XSL
>               Transformations (XSLT) Version 2.0</ulink></citetitle>
654c650
<       <title>Referenced namespaces</title>
---
>       <title>Referenced Namespaces</title>
656,659c652,655
<         specification, and the prefixes used only as documentary
<         conventions.</para>
<       <table rules="all">
<         <title>Referenced namespaces</title>
---
>         specification. The prefixes on the left are only documentary
>         conventions; their choice is not constrained by XML.</para>
>         <title>Referenced Namespaces</title>
713,714c709,710
<     <section>
<       <title>Overview (informative)</title>
---
>     <section role="non-normative">
>       <title>Overview</title>
730c726
<           <para>Non-reputability (or content commitment): the document
---
>           <para>Non-repudiation (or content commitment): the document
737c733
<             a proof that the signature (and thereof the signed document)
---
>             a proof that the signature (and therefore the signed document)
743c739
<         rules and syntax to provide integrity, message authentication,
---
>         rules and syntax to provide integrity and message authentication
751,753c747,750
<         following technology neutral requirements that an electronic
<         signature has to meet to have specific legal validity and have
<         an Advanced Electronic Signature (AdES):</para>
---
>         following technology-neutral requirements that an electronic
>         signature must meet to be considered an Advanced Electronic
>         Signature (AdES) and have legal validity:</para>

774,775c771,772
<         Creation Devices for signing operations. QS is equivalent to
<         handwritten signature in Europe provided it is based on a QC
---
>         Creation Devices for signing operations. In Europe, QS is
>         equivalent to handwritten signature provided it is based on a QC
778c775,780
<           <xref linkend="b_1999-93-EC"/> defined framework.</para>
---
>         the framework defined in <xref linkend="b_1999-93-EC"/>.</para>
>
>       <para>XAdES extends XMLDSig to support AdES, but its adoption is
>         not limited to an EU context, as similar requirements are in
>         place in other countries. The introduction to <xref
>         linkend="b_XAdES"/> reads, in part,</para>
780,783d781
<       <para>XAdES extends XMLDSig to support AdES but its adoption is
<         not limited to EU context, as similar requirements are in place
<         in other countries. The introduction to XAdES reads, in
<         part,</para>
785,788c783,786
<         <para><xref linkend="b_XAdES"/>: The XML advanced electronic
<           signatures defined in the present document will be built by
<           incorporating to the XML signatures as defined in XMLDSIG one
<           new <literal>ds:Object</literal> XML element containing the
---
>         <para>The XML advanced electronic signatures defined in the
>           present document will be built by incorporating to the XML
>           signatures as defined in XMLDSIG one new
>           <literal>ds:Object</literal> XML element containing the
792,797c790,795
<       <para>That XAdES is completely embedded in XMLDSig ensures the UBL
<         profiles for XMLDSig are sufficient to support XAdES. These
<         profiles also support other existing or future extensions of
<         XMLDSig that are completely embedded in XMLDSig syntax.
<         Accordingly, these UBL digital signature profiles may be
<         identified as using XAdES extensions to XMLDSig or not.</para>
---
>       <para>That XAdES is completely embedded in XMLDSig ensures that
>         the UBL profiles for XMLDSig are sufficient to support
>         XAdES. These profiles also support other existing or future
>         extensions of XMLDSig that are completely embedded in XMLDSig
>         syntax.  These other possible UBL digital signature profiles may
>         or may not use the XAdES extensions to XMLDSig.</para>
801,809c799,811
<         the implementation of security measures required for an AdES
<         that are therefore out of the scope of this document and may
<         depend on local regulations in place and specific provisions set
<         by the CA issuing the certificates supporting the signature. The
<         implementer has to determine the set of requirements that
<         applies to the specific context of use and determine accordingly
<         the suitability if the standards and the specific profiles to be
<         used: an explicit advice is given to reference directly to any
<         regulation applicable to the specific context of use.</para>
---
>         the implementation of security measures required for an AdES,
>         which are out of scope for this document.</para>
>
>       <para>Implementation may depend on local regulations in place and
>         specific provisions set by the authority issuing the
>         certificates supporting the signature. The implementer has to
>         determine the set of requirements that apply to the specific
>         context of use and determine accordingly the suitability of the
>         standards and the specific profiles to be used.  XAdES can help
>         in fulfilling legal requirements, but this is not just a matter
>         of correctly applying a technical standard.  Users are advised
>         to examine the regulations applicable to their specific context
>         of use.</para>
813,814c815,816
<     <section>
<       <title>XML Signature Types (informative)</title>
---
>     <section role="non-normative">
>       <title>XML Signature Types</title>
816,818c818,819
<       <para>An XML signature maybe (non-exclusively) described (as per
<         XMLDSig and XAdES) as detached, enveloping, or enveloped
<         types.</para>
---
>       <para>An XML signature may be (non-exclusively) described (per
>         XMLDSig and XAdES) as detached, enveloping, or enveloped.</para>
822,824c823,826
<             is over content that is external to the
<               <literal>&lt;ds:Signature></literal> element, and can be
---

>             applies to content that is external to the
>             <literal>&lt;ds:Signature></literal> element and can be
828,831c830,834
<             it also includes the instance where the
<               <literal>&lt;ds:Signature></literal> and signed data
<             object reside within the same XML document but are sibling
<             elements.</para>
---
>             it also includes the case where the
>             <literal>&lt;ds:Signature></literal> and signed data object
>             are sibling elements residing within the same XML document.
>             </para>

832a836

834,836c838,841
<             signature is over content found within a
<               <literal>&lt;ds:Object></literal> element of the signature
---

>             signature applies to content found within a
>             <literal>&lt;ds:Object></literal> element of the signature
839c844
<               <literal>&lt;ds:Reference></literal> (via a URI fragment
---
>             <literal>&lt;ds:Reference></literal> (using a URI fragment
840a846

841a848

843,847c850,855
<             is over the XML content that contains the
<               <literal>&lt;ds:Signature></literal> as an element.
<             Enveloped signature(s) implementations must take care not to
<             include the signature in the calculation of the signature
---

>             signature applies to the XML content that contains
>             <literal>&lt;ds:Signature></literal> as an element.
>             Implementations of enveloped signature(s) must take care not
>             to include the signature in the calculation of the signature
849c857,858
<         </listitem>
---

>           </listitem>
854,855c863,876
<     <section>
<       <title>XAdES (informative)</title>
---
>     <section role="non-normative">
>       <title>XAdES</title>
>
>       <para>A compliant implementation of XAdES guarantees wide
>         acceptance in implementing legal regulations, such as EC
>         Directive <xref linkend="b_1999-93-EC" />, and supports best
>         practices in <?nospell-start?>eInvoicing<?nospell-end?>,
>         <?nospell-start?>eProcurement<?nospell-end?>, and
>         <?nospell-start?>eBusiness<?nospell-end?> in general as set
>         forth by relevant standard bodies such as CEN <xref
>         linkend="b_cwa15580"/> and <xref linkend="b_cwa15579" />.</para>
>
>       <para>The UBL implementation of XAdES provides the following
>       additional properties:</para>
857,858d877
<       <para>A compliant implementation implementing XAdES guarantees the
<         following properties:</para>
861,884c880,894
<           <para>Wide acceptance in implementing legal regulations, such
<             as EC Directive [99/93/EC], and good practices to support
<             <?nospell-start?>eInvoicing<?nospell-end?>,
<             <?nospell-start?>eProcurement<?nospell-end?> and
<             <?nospell-start?>eBusiness<?nospell-end?> in general as set
<             forth by relevant standard bodies such as CEN <xref
<               linkend="b_cwa15580"/> and <xref linkend="b_cwa15579"
<             />;</para>
<         </listitem>
<         <listitem>
<           <para>A signed UBL document should be processed correctly by
<             any UBL software (possibly not XMLDSig/XAdES aware) and by
<             any XMLDSig/XAdES verification software (possibly not UBL
<             aware);</para>
<         </listitem>
<         <listitem>
<           <para>No change required for presently defined UBL or
<             XMLDSig/XAdES syntaxes; and</para>
<         </listitem>
<         <listitem>
<           <para>Support any XMLDSig/XAdES form leaving to the
<             implementer the choice of the most appropriate one according
<             to its specific legal framework or application
<             context.</para>
---
>           <para>A signed UBL document will be processed correctly by any
>             compliant UBL software (including UBL software that is not
>             XMLDSig/XAdES aware) and by any compliant XMLDSig/XAdES
>             verification software (including software that is not UBL
>             aware)</para>
>         </listitem>
>         <listitem>
>           <para>No change is required for currently defined UBL or
>             XMLDSig/XAdES syntaxes</para>
>         </listitem>
>         <listitem>
>           <para>The extension mechanism specified here supports any
>             XMLDSig/XAdES form, leaving to the implementer the choice of
>             the most appropriate one according to the specific legal
>             framework or application context.</para>
890c900
<       <para>The basic forms are:</para>
---
>       <para>The two basic forms are:</para>
893c903
---
897,899c907,909
<             up on XAdES-BES and includes a security policy identifier
<             that specify the rules followed to validate the
---
>             on XAdES-BES to include a security policy identifier
>             that specifies the rules followed to validate the
907,909c917,919
<       <para>The other forms are listed here after and can be built both
<         by the signature generator and/or the signature verifier
<         extending one of the basic forms.</para>
---
>       <para>The other forms extend one of these two basic forms and can
>         be built by the signature generator or the signature verifier.
>         They are: </para>
914,917c924,927
<             timestamp is added to enforce non-repudiation and as an
<             anteriority proof. This envelope allows ascertaining the
<             validity of a signature in case the signer certificate
<             becomes revoked;</para>
---
>             timestamp is added to enforce non-repudiation and as a proof
>             of anteriority. This envelope allows ascertaining the
>             validity of a signature in case the signer certificate is
>             later revoked;</para>
920,923c930,933
<             signed document a complete reference to verification data
<             (certificates and revocation lists) to support long term
<             signature verification;</para>
---
>             the signed document a complete reference to verification
>             data (certificates and revocation lists) to support
>             long-term signature verification;</para>
926,928c936,938
<             on XAdES-C references to protect against eventual future
<             certificates compromise;</para>
---
>             timestamps to XAdES-C references to protect against eventual
>             compromise of future certificates;</para>
931,933c941,943
<             but adding real certificates and revocation lists instead of
<             just references; and</para>
---
>             similar to XADES-X but adds real certificates and revocation
>             lists instead of just references; and</para>
936,940c946,950
<             (periodically, as required) timestamps for very long-time
<             storage to extend the validity period, considering also
<             possible weakening of the algorithms used to sign the
<             document and related certificates in the storage
---
>             timestamps (periodically, as required) to extend the
>             validity period for very long-time storage, taking into
>             account a possible weakening of the algorithms used to sign
>             the document and related certificates during the storage
945,948c955,958
<       <para>It is out of the scope of this specification to indicate the
<         suitability of any specific XAdES form for a UBL document as
<         this is a matter of specific context of use, agreement between
<         parties and local regulations.</para>
---
>       <para>This specification does not recommend any specific XAdES
>         form for a UBL document, as this choice depends on the specific
>         context of use, agreements between the parties, and local
>         regulations.</para>
954c964,965
<       <para>This document specifies two profiles:</para>
---
>       <para>This document specifies two profiles for use in digitally
>       signing UBL documents:</para>
959,960c970,971
<               Profile</emphasis> One or more signatures are added to the
<             UBL document inside a single, identifiable and dedicated UBL
---
>             Profile:</emphasis> One or more signatures are added to the
>             UBL document inside a single identifiable and dedicated UBL
962,966c973,977
<             have a different identifier so they can be distinguished by
<             the one that contains the document signature(s). This
<             profile is defined such as the UBL content processing can be
<             separated from electronic signature processing, both in the
<             issuing side and in the receiving side, and specialized
---
>             have different identifiers so that they can be distinguished
>             from the one that contains the document signature(s). This
>             profile is defined such that UBL content processing can be
>             separated from electronic signature processing, both on the
>             issuing side and on the receiving side, and specialized
968c979
<             application doesn't need to be electronic signature aware
---
>             application doesn't need to be electronic signature aware,
971c982
<             business objects in the UBL document may reference a
---
>             business object in the UBL document may reference a
976c987
<               Profile</emphasis> The signature is outside the UBL
---
>             Profile:</emphasis> The signature is outside the UBL
982,984c993,995
<             modification to the UBL document and is applicable by
<             compatible implementations with other signature methods not
<             explicitly referenced by this profile.</para>
---
>             modification to the UBL document and is compatible with
>             other signature methods not explicitly referenced by this
>             profile.</para>
992c1003
<         specific signature profile can be divided in the following
---
>         specific signature profile can be divided into the following
997c1008
---
1001,1010c1012,1020
<             digital signature on the key document exchanged, e.g. on
<             orders. Another important legal requirement is on the
<             long-term document preservation, for a storage period that
<             in general is specific in any country and can span many
<             years: there is a requirement to guarantee the integrity and
<             authenticity of all fiscally relevant document archived and
<             this requirement can be met with digital signatures when
<             proper XAdES forms are used. This requirement is addressed,
<             for example, by <xref linkend="b_cwa15580"/> for electronic
<             invoices.</para>
---
>             digital signature on the key document exchanged, e.g., on
>             orders. Another important legal requirement is long-term
>             document preservation, for a storage period that in general
>             is specific in each country and can span many years. The
>             requirement to guarantee the integrity and authenticity of
>             all fiscally relevant archived documents, as specified, for
>             example, by <xref linkend="b_cwa15580"/> for electronic
>             invoices, can be met with digital signatures when proper
>             XAdES forms are used.</para>
1013c1023
---
1015c1025
<             business transaction (e.g. non-repudiation of a commercial
---
>             business transaction (e.g., non-repudiation of a commercial
1022c1032
---
1025c1035
<             the signed document remains a valid UBL document the
---
>             the signed document remains a valid UBL document, the
1040,1045c1050,1056
<       a UBL document are based on XMLDSig. These profiles and their
<       associated methods decouple the UBL document to be signed from any
<       specificity in the digital signature standard adopted within
<       XMLDSig. The XAdES standard is an example of a standard use of
<       XMLDSig. UBL users may use any standard built on XMLDSig or simply
<       use XMLDSig as it stands without any extensions.</para>
---
>       a UBL document are based on <xref linkend="b_xmldsig" />. These
>       profiles and their associated methods decouple the UBL document to
>       be signed from any specificity in the digital signature standard
>       adopted within XMLDSig. The XAdES standard is an example of a
>       standard use of XMLDSig. UBL users may use any standard built on
>       XMLDSig or simply use XMLDSig as it stands without any
>       extensions.</para>
1051c1062
<     <para>Both profiles support co-signatures, i.e. a UBL document can
---
>     <para>Both profiles support co-signatures, i.e., a UBL document can
1053,1057c1064,1069
<       time. Both profiles support countersignatures, i.e. a UBL document
<       can have its signatures signed by another signature. The enveloped
<       signature profile supports a final signature, i.e. a UBL document
<       once signed with a final signature cannot have any other signature
<       added without invalidating the final signature.</para>
---
>       time. Both profiles support countersignatures, i.e., a UBL
>       document can have its signatures signed by another signature. The
>       enveloped signature profile supports a final signature, i.e., a
>       UBL document once signed with a final signature cannot have any
>       other signature added without invalidating the final
>       signature.</para>
1063c1075
<       signature(s) are embedded in the UBL document (that syntactically
---
>       signature(s) are embedded in the UBL document (which syntactically
1138c1150
<           contain the signature information, and IETF/W3C-specified
---
>           contain the signature information and IETF/W3C-specified
1187,1189c1199,1201
<           <para>Creators of other extensions should review the UBL
<             specification documentation for guidelines regarding
<             following this schema design pattern.</para>
---
>           <para>Creators of other UBL extensions using this one as a
>             model should review the UBL specification documentation for
>             guidelines regarding this schema design pattern.</para>
1204c1216
<           can be any value, but for convenience the URI of a URN
---
>           can be any value, but for convenience a URI consisting of a URN
1220c1232
<           can be any value, but for convenience the URI of a URN
---
>           can be any value, but for convenience a URI consisting of a URN
1290,1301c1302,1315
<               <literal>&lt;sac:SignatureInformation></literal> elements
<             is simply a document that is co-signed. By the appropriate
<             use of the <literal>&lt;ds:Reference></literal> element, all
<             such signatures are signing the content of the document but
<             not each other. A countersigning document signature signs
<             signatures already present in the document at the time it is
<             countersigned. A digital countersignature
<               <literal>&lt;ds:Signature></literal> includes additional
<               <literal>&lt;ds:Reference></literal> elements, each
<             pointing to either the <literal>&lt;ds:Signature></literal>
<             element being signed or its respective
---
>              <literal>&lt;sac:SignatureInformation></literal> elements
>              is simply a document that is co-signed. By the appropriate
>              use of the <literal>&lt;ds:Reference></literal> element,
>              all such signatures are signing the content of the document
>              but not each other. A <emphasis
>              role="italics">countersigning</emphasis> document
>              signature, on the other hand, signs signatures already
>              present in the document at the time it is countersigned. A
>              digital countersignature
>              <literal>&lt;ds:Signature></literal> includes additional
>              <literal>&lt;ds:Reference></literal> elements, each
>              pointing to either the <literal>&lt;ds:Signature></literal>
>              element being signed or its respective
1304,1311c1318,1327
<         <note>
<           <para>The XAdES specification supports an alternative
<             countersignature approach where a
<               <literal>&lt;ds:Signature></literal> element pointing to
<             the countersigned <literal>&lt;ds:SignatureValue></literal>
<             is embedded in the <literal>&lt;ds:Object></literal> of the
<             countersigning signature.</para>
<         </note>
---
>          <note>
>            <para>The XAdES specification supports an alternative
>              countersignature approach where a
>                <literal>&lt;ds:Signature></literal> element pointing to the
>              countersigned signature's
>                <literal>&lt;ds:SignatureValue></literal> is embedded in the
>                <literal>&lt;ds:Object></literal> of the countersigning
>              signature. The inclusion of an alternative method in this
>              specification does not prohibit this approach.</para>
>          </note>
1316c1332,1333
<         <title>Digital Signature Transformation</title>
---
>         <title>Digital Signature Transformation (Enveloped
>         Signatures)</title>
1319,1321c1336,1338
<             <literal>URI=</literal> attribute of
<             <literal>&lt;ds:Reference></literal>. Using the empty string
<           indicates that the entire document (i.e. the enveloping UBL
---
>           <literal>URI=</literal> attribute of
>           <literal>&lt;ds:Reference></literal>. Using the empty string
>           indicates that the entire document (i.e., the enveloping UBL
1339,1342c1356,1359
<           will invalidate all signatures already in the extension. The
<           choice to make is in regard to the support of adding
<           additional signatures after adding the signature with the
<           transformation expression.</para>
---
>           will invalidate all signatures already in the extension in
>           either case; the choice to be made is in regard to support for
>           adding additional signatures after adding the signature with
>           the transformation expression.</para>
1376c1393
<         <para>Multiple separate items of extra-document content (e.g.
---
>         <para>Multiple separate items of extra-document content (e.g.,
1378,1380c1395,1397
<           included in the same signature by having sibling
<             <literal>&lt;ds:Reference></literal> elements with other
<             <literal>URI=</literal> attribute values. For example, to
---
>           included in the signature by adding sibling
>           <literal>&lt;ds:Reference></literal> elements with other
>           <literal>URI=</literal> attribute values. For example, to
1388c1405
<           XPointer <xref linkend="b_xpointer"/> address for
---
>           <xref linkend="b_xpointer"/> address for
1394,1395d1410
<
<
1403,1411c1418,1426
<       <para>This profile supports one or more signatures to be applied
<         to a UBL document from outside of the document itself in some
<         other resource.</para>
<
<       <para>It is important to note that there are no obligations
<         imposed on a UBL document to be externally signed with a
<         detached signature. Such a signature, in any kind of signature
<         container, can digitally sign the content of a UBL document with
<         or without reflecting such in the document itself.</para>
---
>       <para>This profile supports the application to a UBL document of
>         one or more signatures located outside of the document itself in
>         some other resource.</para>
>
>       <para>It is important to note that externally signing a UBL
>       document with a detached signature imposes no requirements on the
>       UBL document itself. Such a signature, in any kind of signature
>       container, can digitally sign the content of a UBL document
>       regardless of whether this is reflected in the document.</para>
1416,1420c1431,1434
<           <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:dsig:detached</literal>
<         is reserved to indicate the detached signature is as defined in
<         this profile, that being a IETF/W3C XML digital signature. The
<         URI
<           <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:dsig:detached:xades</literal>
---
>         <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:dsig:detached</literal>
>         is reserved to indicate that the detached signature is an
>         IETF/W3C XML digital signature. The URI
>         <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:dsig:detached:xades</literal>
1429c1443
<         a <literal>&lt;cac:DigitalSignatureAttachmen></literal>
---
>         a <literal>&lt;cac:DigitalSignatureAttachment></literal>
1432c1446
<       <para>A complete example of the
---
>       <para>A complete example of a
1456,1469c1470,1491
<             <literal>&lt;ds:Reference></literal> element pointing to the
<           UBL document, all such signatures are signing the content of
<           the document but not each other. A countersigning document
<           signature signs signatures already created for and external to
<           or present in the document at the time it is countersigned. A
<           digital countersignature <literal>&lt;ds:Signature></literal>
<           includes additional <literal>&lt;ds:Reference></literal>
<           elements, each pointing either to the
<             <literal>&lt;ds:Signature></literal> element or
<             <literal>&lt;ds:SignatureValue></literal> element child of
<           the signature being signed. That pointer is to an external
<           file for a detached signature. That pointer is to the
<             <literal>Id=</literal> attribute of the target
<           element.</para>
---
>           <literal>&lt;ds:Reference></literal> element pointing to the
>           UBL document from a detached signature file, all such
>           signatures are signing the content of the document but not
>           each other. A <emphasis
>           role="italics">countersigning</emphasis> document signature,
>           on the other hand, signs signatures already created for and
>           external to or present in the document at the time it is
>           countersigned. A digital countersignature
>           <literal>&lt;ds:Signature></literal>, which may be located
>           internal to the UBL document or in an external file, includes
>           additional <literal>&lt;ds:Reference></literal> elements, each
>           pointing either to the <literal>&lt;ds:Signature></literal>
>           element or <literal>&lt;ds:SignatureValue></literal> element
>           child of the signature being signed.  In the first case, where
>           the signature is detached, the
>           <literal>&lt;ds:Reference></literal> element points to the
>           external file for that signature; in the second case, where
>           the signature is enveloped, the
>           <literal>&lt;ds:Reference></literal> element points to the Id=
>           value of either the <literal>&lt;ds:Signature></literal> or
>           <literal>&lt;ds:SignatureValue></literal> element for that
>           signature.</para>
1479c1501,1502
<           signature.</para>
---
>           signature. The inclusion of an alternative method in this
>           specification does not prohibit this approach.</para>
1483c1506
<         <title>Digital Signature Transformation</title>
---
>         <title>Digital Signature Transformation (Detached Signatures)</title>
1518,1523c1541,1555
<         <para>Because of the UBL extension scaffolding being added for a
<           signature and for non-signature extensions, it is not possible
<           to protect from invalidation a detached signature for a UBL
<           document that does not already have an enveloped signature. In
<           this case of having no preexisting enveloped signature, the
<           entire document must be signed in the detached
---
>         <para>A non-final transformation algorithm used in the detached
>           signature signs all content outside of any enveloped
>           signatures in the UBL document.  When the UBL document does
>           not already have an enveloped signature, one cannot be added
>           without invalidating the detached signature.  In effect, the
>           entire document has been signed and cannot change, but the
>           addition of the scaffolding for a signature constitutes a
>           change.  However, when the UBL document already has an
>           enveloped signature, other signatures can be added without
>           invalidating the detached signature, because the scaffolding
>           doesn't change when other signatures are added within the
>           existing scaffolding; the non-final transformation algorithm
>           does not include the signatures found in the existing
>           scaffolding.  When there is no preexisting enveloped
>           signature, the entire document must be signed in the detached
1526d1557
<
1528c1559
<           XPointer <xref linkend="b_xpointer"/> address SHOULD be used
---
>           <xref linkend="b_xpointer"/> address SHOULD be used
1533d1563
<
1578,1585c1608,1610
<       this specification requires:</para>
<     <itemizedlist>
<       <listitem>
<         <para>the conformant processing of all contained
<             <literal>&lt;ds:Signature></literal> elements per <xref
<             linkend="b_xmldsig"/>.</para>
<       </listitem>
<     </itemizedlist>
---
>       this specification requires the conformant processing of all
>       contained <literal>&lt;ds:Signature></literal> elements per <xref
>       linkend="b_xmldsig"/>.</para>
1588,1599c1613,1620
<       specification requires:</para>
<     <itemizedlist>
<       <listitem>
<           when present, of each signature business objects whose
<           signatures are outside of the UBL document has either
<             <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:dsig:detached</literal>
<           or
<             <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:dsig:detached:xades</literal>
<           as its value.</para>
<       </listitem>
<     </itemizedlist>
---
>       specification requires that the
>       <literal>&lt;cbc:SignatureMethod></literal> element, when present,
>       of signature business objects whose signatures are outside of the
>       UBL document has either
>       <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:dsig:detached</literal>
>       or
>       <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:dsig:detached:xades</literal>
>       as its value.</para>
1602c1623
<       <title>XAdES conformance</title>
---
>       <title>XAdES Conformance</title>
1605,1611c1626,1628
<         specification requires:</para>
<       <itemizedlist>
<         <listitem>
<           <para>the valid expression and processing of the XAdES syntax
<             found in an XMLDSig per <xref linkend="b_XAdES"/></para>
<         </listitem>
<       </itemizedlist>
---
>         specification requires the valid expression and processing of
>         the XAdES syntax found in an XMLDSig per <xref
>         linkend="b_XAdES"/>.</para>
1619c1636
<     <para>The following individuals have participated in the creation of
---
>     <para>The following OASIS members have participated in the creation of
1621d1637
<     <para>Participants: </para>

cd10-UBL-DSig-1.0.pdf

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl"
                 href="file:///z:/oasis/spec-0.5/stylesheets/oasis-specification-html.xsl"?>
<!DOCTYPE article
 [
<!--the document properties-->
<!ENTITY standard "Committee Draft 10">
<!ENTITY stage "cd10">
<!ENTITY name "UBL-DSig">
<!ENTITY version "1.0">
<!ENTITY pversion "NONE">
<!ENTITY this-loc     "http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/&stage;-&name;-&version;";>
<!ENTITY previous-loc "http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.0";>
<!ENTITY latest-loc   "http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/&name;-&version;";>
<!ENTITY pubdate "20 March 2011">
]>
<article status="&standard;">
  <articleinfo>
    <productname>&stage;-&name;</productname>
    <productnumber>&version;</productnumber>

    <releaseinfo role="OASIS-specification-this"
      >&this-loc;/&name;-&version;.html</releaseinfo>
    <releaseinfo role="OASIS-specification-this"
      ><?nospell-start?>&this-loc;/&name;-&version;.pdf<?nospell-end?></releaseinfo>
    <releaseinfo role="OASIS-specification-this-authoritative"
      ><?nospell-start?>&this-loc;/&name;-&version;.xml<?nospell-end?></releaseinfo>

    <!--
      <releaseinfo role="OASIS-specification-previous"
         >&previous-loc;/UBL-2.0.html</releaseinfo>
      <releaseinfo role="OASIS-specification-previous"
         >&previous-loc;/UBL-2.0.pdf</releaseinfo>
      <releaseinfo role="OASIS-specification-previous"
         >&previous-loc;/UBL-2.0.xml</releaseinfo>
-->

    <!-- generic form of above
      <releaseinfo role="OASIS-specification-previous"
         >&previous-loc;/&name;-&version;.html</releaseinfo>
      <releaseinfo role="OASIS-specification-previous"
         >&previous-loc;/&name;-&version;.pdf</releaseinfo>
      <releaseinfo role="OASIS-specification-previous"
         >&previous-loc;/&name;-&version;.xml</releaseinfo> -->

    <releaseinfo role="OASIS-specification-latest"
      >&latest-loc;/&name;-&version;.html</releaseinfo>
    <releaseinfo role="OASIS-specification-latest"
      >&latest-loc;/&name;-&version;.pdf</releaseinfo>
    <releaseinfo role="OASIS-specification-latest-authoritative"
      >&latest-loc;/&name;-&version;.xml</releaseinfo>

    <!-- generic form of above
      <releaseinfo role="OASIS-specification-latest"
         >&latest-loc;/&name;-&version;.html</releaseinfo>
      <releaseinfo role="OASIS-specification-latest"
         >&latest-loc;/&name;-&version;.pdf</releaseinfo>
      <releaseinfo role="OASIS-specification-latest-authoritative"
         >&latest-loc;/&name;-&version;.xml</releaseinfo> -->

    <title>UBL Digital Signature Profiles &version;</title>

    <releaseinfo role="committee">
      <!--<ulink
url="http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl";>OASIS Universal
Business Language TC</ulink><?lb?>-->
      <ulink
        url="http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=ubl-security";
        >OASIS Universal Business Language Security SC</ulink>
    </releaseinfo>

    <authorgroup>

      <editor>
        <firstname>Oriol</firstname>
        <surname><?nospell-start?>Baus&#224;
          Peris<?nospell-end?></surname>
        <affiliation>
        </affiliation>
      </editor>
      <editor>
        <firstname>Andrea</firstname>
        <surname><?nospell-start?>Caccia<?nospell-end?></surname>
        <affiliation>
        </affiliation>
      </editor>
      <editor>
        <firstname>Roberto</firstname>
        <surname><?nospell-start?>Cisternino<?nospell-end?></surname>
        <affiliation>
        </affiliation>
      </editor>
      <editor>
        <firstname>G. Ken</firstname>
        <surname>Holman</surname>
        <affiliation>
        </affiliation>
      </editor>
      <editor>
        <firstname>Juli&#225;n</firstname>
        <surname><?nospell-start?>Inza<?nospell-end?></surname>
        <affiliation>
        </affiliation>
      </editor>
      <othercredit>
        <firstname>Andrea</firstname>
        <surname><?nospell-start?>Caccia<?nospell-end?></surname>
        <affiliation>
        </affiliation>
      </othercredit>
      <othercredit>
        <firstname>Juli&#225;n</firstname>
        <surname><?nospell-start?>Inza<?nospell-end?></surname>
        <affiliation>
        </affiliation>
      </othercredit>
    </authorgroup>
    <pubdate>&pubdate;</pubdate>
    <legalnotice role="related">
      <title>Related Work</title>
      <para>This specification relates to all versions of OASIS
        Universal Business Language (UBL) 2.x.</para>
    </legalnotice>

    <legalnotice role="namespaces">
      <title>Declared XML Namespaces</title>

      <simplelist>
        <member>
          urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:CommonSignatureComponents-2 </member>
        <member>
          urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:SignatureAggregateComponents-2 </member>
        <member>
          urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:SignatureBasicComponents-2
        </member>
      </simplelist>
    </legalnotice>

    <abstract>
      <para>This specification defines two profiles for digitally
        signing Universal Business Language (UBL) 2.x documents and a
        standard digital signature extension for use with the enveloped
        profile.</para>
      <para>The profiles are based on IETF/W3C XML Digital Signatures,
        with specific provisions to use XAdES extensions when the
        electronic signing of UBL documents addresses special advanced
        legal and technical requirements.</para>
    </abstract>
    <legalnotice role="status" id="STATUS">
      <title>Status</title>
      <para>This document was last revised or approved by the UBL TC on
        the above date. The level of approval is also listed above.
        Check the current location noted above for possible later
        revisions of this document. This document is updated
        periodically on no particular schedule.</para>
      <para>Technical Committee members should send comments on this
        specification to the Subcommittee's email list. Others should
        send comments to the Subcommittee by using the "Send A Comment"
        button on the Subcommittee's web page at <ulink
          url="http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=ubl-security";
          >http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=ubl-security</ulink>.</para>
      <para>For information on whether any patents have been disclosed
        that may be essential to implementing this specification, and
        any offers of patent licensing terms, please refer to the
        Intellectual Property Rights section of the Technical Committee
        web page at <ulink
          url="http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/ipr.php";
          >http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/ipr.php</ulink>.</para>
    </legalnotice>

    <legalnotice role="notices">
      <title>Notices</title>
      <para>Copyright &#169; OASIS&#174; Open 2011. All Rights Reserved. </para>
      <para>All capitalized terms in the following text have the
        meanings assigned to them in the OASIS Intellectual Property
        Rights Policy (the "OASIS IPR Policy"). The full Policy may be
        found at the OASIS website.</para>
      <para>This document and translations of it may be copied and
        furnished to others, and derivative works that comment on or
        otherwise explain it or assist in its implementation may be
        prepared, copied, published, and distributed, in whole or in
        part, without restriction of any kind, provided that the above
        copyright notice and this section are included on all such
        copies and derivative works. However, this document itself may
        not be modified in any way, including by removing the copyright
        notice or references to OASIS, except as needed for the purpose
        of developing any document or deliverable produced by an OASIS
        Technical Committee (in which case the rules applicable to
        copyrights, as set forth in the OASIS IPR Policy, must be
        followed) or as required to translate it into languages other
        than English.</para>
      <para>The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will
        not be revoked by OASIS or its successors or assigns.</para>
      <para>This document and the information contained herein is
        provided on an "AS IS" basis and OASIS DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES,
        EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY
        THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY
        OWNERSHIP RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR
        FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.</para>
      <para>OASIS requests that any OASIS Party or any other party that
        believes it has patent claims that would necessarily be
        infringed by implementations of this OASIS Committee
        Specification or OASIS Standard, to notify OASIS TC
        Administrator and provide an indication of its willingness to
        grant patent licenses to such patent claims in a manner
        consistent with the IPR Mode of the OASIS Technical Committee
        that produced this specification.</para>
      <para>OASIS invites any party to contact the OASIS TC
        Administrator if it is aware of a claim of ownership of any
        patent claims that would necessarily be infringed by
        implementations of this specification by a patent holder that is
        not willing to provide a license to such patent claims in a
        manner consistent with the IPR Mode of the OASIS Technical
        Committee that produced this specification. OASIS may include
        such claims on its website, but disclaims any obligation to do
        so.</para>
      <para>OASIS takes no position regarding the validity or scope of
        any intellectual property or other rights that might be claimed
        to pertain to the implementation or use of the technology
        described in this document or the extent to which any license
        under such rights might or might not be available; neither does
        it represent that it has made any effort to identify any such
        rights. Information on OASIS' procedures with respect to rights
        in any document or deliverable produced by an OASIS Technical
        Committee can be found on the OASIS website. Copies of claims of
        rights made available for publication and any assurances of
        licenses to be made available, or the result of an attempt made
        to obtain a general license or permission for the use of such
        proprietary rights by implementers or users of this OASIS
        Committee Specification or OASIS Standard, can be obtained from
        the OASIS TC Administrator. OASIS makes no representation that
        any information or list of intellectual property rights will at
        any time be complete, or that any claims in such list are, in
        fact, Essential Claims.</para>
      <para>The name "OASIS" is a trademark of <ulink
          url="http://www.oasis-open.org";>OASIS</ulink>, the owner and
        developer of this specification, and should be used only to
        refer to the organization and its official outputs. OASIS
        welcomes reference to, and implementation and use of,
        specifications, while reserving the right to enforce its marks
        against misleading uses. Please see <ulink
          url="http://www.oasis-open.org/who/trademark.php";
          >http://www.oasis-open.org/who/trademark.php</ulink> for above
        guidance.</para>
    </legalnotice>

  </articleinfo>
  <section id="INTRO" role="non-normative">
    <title>Introduction</title>

    <para>There are certain circumstances in which it becomes necessary
      to electronically sign UBL documents. This can be the case when
      creating orders or invoices. In some countries, digitally signing
      electronic invoices is required by law.</para>

    <para>UBL has an ABIE to define signatures and a number of ASBIEs to
      use such signatures in a document. (See current UBL documentation
      for more regarding these terms.) There are a number of standard
      initiatives in the electronic signature area that are being
      adopted or recommended by different organizations or bodies. This
      specification standardizes the use of the XML Signature
      Specification <xref linkend="b_xmldsig"/> in and for UBL documents
      and recommends their association with the UBL BIEs.</para>

    <note>
[...]

      Information and Communication Technologies Standards Board
      (ICTSB), a round table of most European IT standards bodies and
      some international standards bodies such as the IETF and
      W3C.</para>

    <para>This UBL Digital Signature Profiles specification defines two
      profiles that represent two approaches to signing UBL documents:
      enveloped and detached. Each of these approaches uses XMLDSig in a
      way that may or may not include XAdES features. In other words,
      the mechanisms implemented here can be used not only to implement
      XAdES in these two ways but also to implement other signature
      technologies based on XMLDSig as well.</para>

    <para>Using UBL Digital Signature Profiles one can conform to, for
      example, the UN/CEFACT Signed Digital Evidence Interoperability
      Recommendation <xref linkend="b_rec37"/>.</para>

<!--
    <note>
      <title><emphasis>Temporary note (not for final
          publication)</emphasis></title>
      <para><emphasis>The above reference to the UN/CEFACT
          recommendation may be removed if the recommendation has not
          been adopted by the time this specification is
          finalized.</emphasis></para>
    </note>
-->

    <section id="TERMINOLOGY">
      <title>Terminology</title>
      <section id="DEFS">
        <title>Terms and Definitions</title>
        <variablelist>

          <varlistentry>
            <term>
              <emphasis role="bold">Digital Signature</emphasis>
            </term>
            <listitem>
              <para>Formally speaking, a value generated from the
                application of a private key to a message via a
                cryptographic algorithm such that it has the properties
                of integrity and message authentication and/or signer
                authentication. (This specification sometimes also uses
                the term signature generically in a way that encompasses
                Authentication Code values as well, but care has been
                taken to make the distinction clear when signer
                authentication is relevant.) A signature may be
                (non-exclusively) described as detached, enveloping, or
                enveloped <xref linkend="b_xmldsig"/>.</para>
            </listitem>
          </varlistentry>
          <varlistentry>
            <term>
              <emphasis role="bold">Transform</emphasis>
            </term>
            <listitem>
              <para>The processing of data from its source to its
                derived form. Typical transforms include XML
                Canonicalization <xref linkend="b_c14n"/> and XSLT <xref
                  linkend="b_xslt20"/>.</para>
            </listitem>
          </varlistentry>
        </variablelist>
        <para>The keywords MUST, MUST NOT, REQUIRED, SHALL, SHALL NOT,
          SHOULD, SHOULD NOT, RECOMMENDED, MAY and OPTIONAL, when they
          appear in this document, are to be interpreted as described in
            <xref linkend="rfc2119"/>.</para>
      </section>
      <section id="ABBR">
        <title>Symbols and Abbreviations</title>
        <variablelist>

          <varlistentry>
            <term>
              <emphasis role="bold">ABIE</emphasis>
            </term>
            <listitem>
              <para>Aggregate Business Information Entity</para>
            </listitem>
          </varlistentry>
          <varlistentry>
            <term>
              <emphasis role="bold">AdES</emphasis>
            </term>
            <listitem>
              <para>Advanced Electronic Signature</para>
            </listitem>
          </varlistentry>
          <varlistentry>
            <term>
              <emphasis role="bold">ASBIE</emphasis>
            </term>
            <listitem>
              <para>Association Business Information Entity</para>
            </listitem>
          </varlistentry>
          <varlistentry>
            <term>
              <emphasis role="bold">BBIE</emphasis>
            </term>
            <listitem>
              <para>Basic Business Information Entity</para>
            </listitem>
          </varlistentry>
          <varlistentry>
            <term>
              <emphasis role="bold">BIE</emphasis>
            </term>
            <listitem>
              <para>Business Information Entity</para>
            </listitem>
          </varlistentry>
          <varlistentry>
            <term>
              <emphasis role="bold"
                ><?nospell-start?>C14N<?nospell-end?></emphasis>
            </term>
            <listitem>
              <para>Canonicalization</para>
            </listitem>
          </varlistentry>

          <varlistentry>
            <term>
              <emphasis role="bold"
                ><?nospell-start?>DSig<?nospell-end?></emphasis>
            </term>
            <listitem>
              <para>Digital Signature</para>
            </listitem>
          </varlistentry>

          <varlistentry>
            <term>
              <emphasis role="bold">QC</emphasis>
            </term>
            <listitem>
              <para>Qualified Certificate</para>
            </listitem>
          </varlistentry>
          <varlistentry>
            <term>
              <emphasis role="bold">QS</emphasis>
            </term>
            <listitem>
              <para>Qualified Signature</para>
            </listitem>
          </varlistentry>
          <!--
               <varlistentry>
                  <term>
                     <emphasis role="bold">SSCD</emphasis>
                  </term>
                  <listitem>
                     <para>Secure Signature Creation Device</para>
                  </listitem>
               </varlistentry>
-->
          <varlistentry>
            <term>
              <emphasis role="bold"
                ><?nospell-start?>XAdES<?nospell-end?></emphasis>
            </term>
            <listitem>
              <para>XML Advanced Electronic Signature <xref
                  linkend="b_XAdES"/></para>
            </listitem>
          </varlistentry>

          <varlistentry>
            <term>
              <emphasis role="bold">XML</emphasis>
            </term>
            <listitem>
              <para>Extensible Markup Language</para>
            </listitem>
          </varlistentry>

          <varlistentry>
            <term>
              <emphasis role="bold"
                ><?nospell-start?>XMLDSig<?nospell-end?></emphasis>
            </term>
            <listitem>
              <para>XML Digital Signature <xref linkend="b_xmldsig"
                /></para>
            </listitem>
          </varlistentry>

          <varlistentry>
            <term>
              <emphasis role="bold">XPath</emphasis>
            </term>
            <listitem>
              <para>XML Path Language (an XML data model and addressing
                language) <xref linkend="b_xpath20"/></para>
            </listitem>
          </varlistentry>
          <varlistentry>
            <term>
              <emphasis role="bold">XSLT</emphasis>
            </term>
            <listitem>
              <para>Extensible Stylesheet Language Transformations (a
                transformation language) <xref linkend="b_xslt20"
                /></para>
            </listitem>
          </varlistentry>
        </variablelist>
      </section>
    </section>
    <section id="NORMATIVE">
      <title>Normative References</title>
      <para/>
      <bibliography id="normbibl">
        <title/>

        <bibliomixed id="rfc2119">
            <ulink url="http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2119.html";>Key words
              for use in RFCs to Indicate Requirement Levels</ulink>
          </citetitle>
        </bibliomixed>

        <bibliomixed id="b_XAdES">
            <ulink
              url="http://uri.etsi.org/01903/v1.4.1/ts_101903v010401p.pdf";
              >XML Advanced Electronic Signatures. ETSI TS 101 903
              V1.4.1</ulink>
          </citetitle> 2009-06 </bibliomixed>

        <bibliomixed id="b_xmldsig">
            <ulink
              url="http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/REC-xmldsig-core-20020212/";
              >XML-Signature Syntax and Processing. W3C Recommendation
              12 February 2002</ulink>
          </citetitle>
        </bibliomixed>

      </bibliography>
    </section>
    <section id="INFORMATIVE">
      <title>Non-Normative References</title>
      <para/>

      <bibliography id="infobibl">
        <title/>

        <bibliomixed id="b_1999-93-EC">
            <ulink
              url="http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31999L0093:EN:NOT";
              >Directive 1999/93/EC of the European Parliament and of
              the Council of 13 December 1999 on a Community framework
              for electronic signatures </ulink>

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31999L0093:en:HTML

          </citetitle>
        </bibliomixed>

        <bibliomixed id="b_asig">
            <ulink
              url="http://webapp.etsi.org/WorkProgram/Report_WorkItem.asp?WKI_ID=31946";
              >Electronic Signatures and Infrastructure; Associated
              Advanced Electronic Signatures</ulink>
          </citetitle> ETSI work in progress </bibliomixed>

        <bibliomixed id="b_cwa15579">
            <ulink
              url="ftp://ftp.cenorm.be/PUBLIC/CWAs/e-Europe/eInvoicing/CWA15579-00-2006-Jul.pdf";
              >E-invoices and digital signatures</ulink>
          </citetitle>
        </bibliomixed>

        <bibliomixed id="b_cwa15580">
            <ulink
              url="ftp://ftp.cenorm.be/PUBLIC/CWAs/e-Europe/eInvoicing/CWA15580-00-2006-jul.pdf";
              >Storage of Electronic Documents</ulink>
          </citetitle>
        </bibliomixed>

        <bibliomixed id="b_odfp">
            <ulink url="http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.0";>OASIS
              Standard, Open Document Format for Office Applications
              (<?nospell-start?>OpenDocument<?nospell-end?>) Version 1.2
              - Part 3 Packages, </ulink>
          </citetitle> December 2006 </bibliomixed>

        <bibliomixed id="rfc3161">
            <ulink url="http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc3161.html";>Internet
              X.509 Public Key Infrastructure Time-Stamp Protocol (TSP)
            </ulink>
          </citetitle>
        </bibliomixed>

        <bibliomixed id="b_c14n"><abbrev>XML
          C14N</abbrev><?nospell-start?>John Boyer
              <?nospell-end?><citetitle><ulink
              url="http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xml-c14n-20010315";
              >Canonical XML Version 1.0</ulink></citetitle>
          2001-03-15</bibliomixed>

        <bibliomixed id="b_rec37"><abbrev>UN/CEFACT Rec.
              37</abbrev><citetitle><ulink
              url="http://www.unece.org/cefact/cf_plenary/plenary10/ECE_TRADE_C_CEFACT_2010_14E.pdf";
              >Signed Digital Evidence Interoperability
              Recommendation</ulink></citetitle> 2010-09-27</bibliomixed>

        <bibliomixed id="b_xpath20"><abbrev>XPath
          2.0</abbrev><?nospell-start?>Anders Berglund, et al
              <?nospell-end?><citetitle><ulink
              url="http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-xpath20-20070123/";>XML
              Path Language (XPath) Version 2.0</ulink></citetitle>
          2007-01-23</bibliomixed>

        <bibliomixed id="b_xpointer"
          ><abbrev>XPointer</abbrev><?nospell-start?>Steven DeRose, et
          al <?nospell-end?><citetitle><ulink
              url="http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr/";>XML Pointer Language
              (XPointer) Version 1.0 Working Draft</ulink></citetitle>
          2002-08-16</bibliomixed>

        <bibliomixed id="b_xslt20"><abbrev>XSLT 2.0</abbrev>Michael Kay
              <citetitle><ulink url="http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/";>XSL
              Transformations (XSLT) Version 2.0</ulink></citetitle>
          2007-01-23</bibliomixed>

      </bibliography>
    </section>
    <section>
      <title>Referenced Namespaces</title>
      <para>The table below lists the namespaces referenced in this
        specification. The prefixes on the left are only documentary
        conventions; their choice is not constrained by XML.</para>
        <title>Referenced Namespaces</title>
        <tgroup cols="3">
          <thead>
            <row>
              <entry>Prefix</entry>
              <entry>Namespace</entry>
              <entry>Reference</entry>
            </row>
          </thead>
          <tbody>
            <row>
              <entry><ulink url="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#";
            </row>
            <row>
              <entry><ulink url="http://uri.etsi.org/01903/v1.3.2#";
            </row>
            <row>
              <entry><literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:
                  xsd:CommonExtensionComponents-2</literal></entry>
              <entry>UBL extension namespace</entry>
            </row>
            <row>
              <entry><literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:
                  xsd:CommonSignatureComponents-2</literal></entry>
              <entry>UBL signature extension apex namespace</entry>
            </row>
            <row>
              <entry><literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:
                  xsd:SignatureAggregateComponents-2</literal></entry>
              <entry>UBL signature extension aggregate namespace</entry>
            </row>
            <row>
              <entry><literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:
                  xsd:SignatureBasicComponents-2</literal></entry>
              <entry>UBL signature extension basic namespace</entry>
            </row>
          </tbody>
        </tgroup>
    </section>
  </section>

  <section>
    <title>XML Digital Signatures</title>
    <section role="non-normative">
      <title>Overview</title>

      <para>Digital signatures, when appropriate rules and functions are
        used, can support the following properties for a
        document:</para>
      <itemizedlist>
        <listitem>
          <para>Integrity: the document has not been modified since it
            was signed.</para>
        </listitem>
        <listitem>
          <para>Authenticity: the identity of the party creating the
            signature that applies to the document is certified.</para>
        </listitem>
        <listitem>
          <para>Non-repudiation (or content commitment): the document
            signer cannot deny its involvement in creating and/or
            approving the document (depending on the context and signer
            role).</para>
        </listitem>
        <listitem>
          <para>Anteriority: associating a time-stamp to the signature,
            a proof that the signature (and therefore the signed document)
            existed before a certain point in time.</para>
        </listitem>
      </itemizedlist>

      <para><xref linkend="b_xmldsig"/> defines XML Signature processing
        rules and syntax to provide integrity and message authentication
        and/or signer authentication services for data of any type,
        whether located within the XML that includes the signature or
        elsewhere. <xref linkend="rfc3161"/> specifies a standard format
        for time-stamping that can be used with XMLDSig and
        XAdES.</para>

      <para>The <xref linkend="b_1999-93-EC"/> directive defines the
        following technology-neutral requirements that an electronic
        signature must meet to be considered an Advanced Electronic
        Signature (AdES) and have legal validity:</para>

      <itemizedlist>
        <listitem>
          <para>it is uniquely linked to the signatory;</para>
        </listitem>
        <listitem>
          <para>it is capable of identifying the signatory;</para>
        </listitem>
        <listitem>
          <para>it is created using means that the signatory can
            maintain under his sole control; and</para>
        </listitem>
        <listitem>
          <para>it is linked to the data to which it relates in such a
            manner that any subsequent change of the data is
            detectable.</para>
        </listitem>
      </itemizedlist>

      <para>The Qualified Signature (QS) is also defined as an AdES
        based on Qualified Certificates (QC) and Secure Signature
        Creation Devices for signing operations. In Europe, QS is
        equivalent to handwritten signature provided it is based on a QC
        issued by an accredited Certificate Service Provider. These
        references are provided only for informational use and refer to
        the framework defined in <xref linkend="b_1999-93-EC"/>.</para>

      <para>XAdES extends XMLDSig to support AdES, but its adoption is
        not limited to an EU context, as similar requirements are in
        place in other countries. The introduction to <xref
        linkend="b_XAdES"/> reads, in part,</para>

        <para>The XML advanced electronic signatures defined in the
          present document will be built by incorporating to the XML
          signatures as defined in XMLDSIG one new
          <literal>ds:Object</literal> XML element containing the
          additional qualifying information.</para>

      <para>That XAdES is completely embedded in XMLDSig ensures that
        the UBL profiles for XMLDSig are sufficient to support
        XAdES. These profiles also support other existing or future
        extensions of XMLDSig that are completely embedded in XMLDSig
        syntax.  These other possible UBL digital signature profiles may
        or may not use the XAdES extensions to XMLDSig.</para>

      <para>It is important to note that XAdES and XMLDSig define
        digital signature processing rules and syntax but do not cover
[...]

            identified via a URI or transform. Consequently, the
            signature is "detached" from the content it signs. This
            definition typically applies to separate data objects, but
            it also includes the case where the
            <literal>&lt;ds:Signature></literal> and signed data object
            are sibling elements residing within the same XML document.
            </para>

        </listitem>

        <listitem>

            signature applies to content found within a
            <literal>&lt;ds:Object></literal> element of the signature
            itself. The <literal>&lt;ds:Object></literal> (or its
            content) is identified via a
            <literal>&lt;ds:Reference></literal> (using a URI fragment
            identifier or transform).</para>

        </listitem>

        <listitem>

            signature applies to the XML content that contains
            <literal>&lt;ds:Signature></literal> as an element.
            Implementations of enveloped signature(s) must take care not
            to include the signature in the calculation of the signature
            value.</para>

          </listitem>

      </itemizedlist>
[...]

      <para>XAdES defines a set of forms that extends XMLDSig and allows
        adding to the signature some validation data.</para>
      <para>The two basic forms are:</para>
      <itemizedlist>
        <listitem>
            satisfies the minimum requirements for AdES; and</para>
        </listitem>
        <listitem>
            on XAdES-BES to include a security policy identifier
            that specifies the rules followed to validate the
            signature.</para>
        </listitem>
      </itemizedlist>

      <para>A conformant XAdES signature generation and verification
        implementation supports at least XAdES-BES or XAdES-EPES.</para>

[...]

            period.</para>
        </listitem>
      </itemizedlist>

      <para>This specification does not recommend any specific XAdES
        form for a UBL document, as this choice depends on the specific
        context of use, agreements between the parties, and local
        regulations.</para>

    </section>

    <section>
      <title>UBL Signature Profiles</title>
      <para>This document specifies two profiles for use in digitally
      signing UBL documents:</para>

      <itemizedlist>
        <listitem>
          <para><emphasis role="bold">Enveloped Signature
            Profile:</emphasis> One or more signatures are added to the
            UBL document inside a single identifiable and dedicated UBL
            Extension. Other UBL extensions MAY be present provided they
            have different identifiers so that they can be distinguished
            from the one that contains the document signature(s). This
            profile is defined such that UBL content processing can be
            separated from electronic signature processing, both on the
            issuing side and on the receiving side, and specialized
            applications can be devoted to each function. The UBL
            application doesn't need to be electronic signature aware,
            and the electronic signature application does not need to be
            involved in the management of the UBL syntax. A signature
            business object in the UBL document may reference a
            particular electronic signature in the extension.</para>
        </listitem>
        <listitem>
          <para><emphasis role="bold">Detached Signature
            Profile:</emphasis> The signature is outside the UBL
            document content in another information resource. Some
            mechanism has to be defined by the implementer to send or
            make available the signature to the recipient. This method
            of signing may be identified in the UBL document. This
            approach can be useful to avoid or minimize any kind of
            modification to the UBL document and is compatible with
            other signature methods not explicitly referenced by this
            profile.</para>
        </listitem>
      </itemizedlist>
    </section>

    <section>
      <title>Requirements for Digital Signatures in UBL</title>
      <para>The main requirements to be addressed when choosing a
        specific signature profile can be divided into the following
        categories:</para>

      <itemizedlist>
        <listitem>
            some countries a digital signature is required on electronic
            invoices. It can also be compulsory in electronic
            procurement, especially in a cross border context, to have
            digital signature on the key document exchanged, e.g., on
            orders. Another important legal requirement is long-term
            document preservation, for a storage period that in general
            is specific in each country and can span many years. The
            requirement to guarantee the integrity and authenticity of
            all fiscally relevant archived documents, as specified, for
            example, by <xref linkend="b_cwa15580"/> for electronic
            invoices, can be met with digital signatures when proper
            XAdES forms are used.</para>
        </listitem>
        <listitem>
            digital signature can reduce the risks associated with a
            business transaction (e.g., non-repudiation of a commercial
            order, proof-of-origin and integrity of an invoice) and its
            use can be provided for in the interchange agreement between
            parties. The choice of the signature format and its
            application is a key element for interoperability.</para>
        </listitem>
        <listitem>
            presence of the digital signature should not add any
            specific constraints on UBL document content processing. If
            the signed document remains a valid UBL document, the
            signature can be verified at any stage of the process: it
            should be possible to validate a signed document at any time
            "as is" by UBL and XAdES verifiers.</para>
        </listitem>
      </itemizedlist>

    </section>

  </section>

  <section>
    <title>Profiles for UBL Digital Signatures</title>

    <para>The two profiles for adding one or more digital signatures to
      a UBL document are based on <xref linkend="b_xmldsig" />. These
      profiles and their associated methods decouple the UBL document to
      be signed from any specificity in the digital signature standard
      adopted within XMLDSig. The XAdES standard is an example of a
      standard use of XMLDSig. UBL users may use any standard built on
      XMLDSig or simply use XMLDSig as it stands without any
      extensions.</para>

    <para>Managing XML signatures inside of a UBL document is described
      in <xref linkend="enveloped"/>. Managing XML signatures outside of
      a UBL document is described in <xref linkend="detached"/>.</para>

    <para>Both profiles support co-signatures, i.e., a UBL document can
      be independently cosigned by multiple signers in any order and
      time. Both profiles support countersignatures, i.e., a UBL
      document can have its signatures signed by another signature. The
      enveloped signature profile supports a final signature, i.e., a
      UBL document once signed with a final signature cannot have any
      other signature added without invalidating the final
      signature.</para>

    <para>The choice of the most suitable profile should take into
      account mainly the specific document processing and delivery
      infrastructure.</para>
    <para>The main advantage of the enveloped profile is that the
      signature(s) are embedded in the UBL document (which syntactically
      remains a valid UBL document). This means that the transport of
      the signatures is guaranteed by the UBL document delivery
      infrastructure.</para>
    <para>The detached signature profile has a simpler preparation phase
      and signature procedure but specific means to send or make
      available the signature(s) to the recipient have to be
      implemented. A standard container like <xref linkend="b_odfp"/>
      can be used to associate the UBL document with its signature(s).
      Work is in progress in ETSI on Associated Signatures <xref
        linkend="b_asig"/> to specify standard containers for
      associating a document with related detached advanced electronic
      signature(s) that apply to it.</para>
    <para>Archiving of UBL documents also can be an important issue to
      consider, as document preservation has specific
      requirements.</para>

    <section id="enveloped">
      <title>Enveloped XML Signatures in UBL Documents</title>
      <para>This profile supports one or more signatures to be applied
        to a UBL document and embedded in the UBL document itself inside
        a dedicated extension. This profile can be used with all UBL
        documents under their respective
          <literal>&lt;ext:UBLExtensions></literal> extension
        point.</para>

      <note>
          sample document in the UBL 2.1 distribution illustrates the
          embedding of three extensions in a single document, one of
          which is the signature extension. </para>
      </note>

      <para>The user MAY choose to indicate in a
          <literal>&lt;cac:Signature></literal> element that the
        signature details are found in the signature extension. The URI
          <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:dsig:enveloped</literal>
        is reserved as a value for
          <literal>&lt;cbc:SignatureMethod></literal> to signal this.
        The URI
          <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:dsig:enveloped:xades</literal>
        MAY be used as a value for
          <literal>&lt;cbc:SignatureMethod></literal> to signal when
        XAdES is in use. Additionally, the user MAY include a
          <literal>&lt;cbc:ID></literal> child of
          <literal>&lt;cac:Signature></literal> for referencing purposes
        from the enveloped signature. The identifier used can be any
        value, but for convenience the URI of a URN beginning with
          <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:signature:</literal>
        and ending with the local name of the parent of the signature
        business object and optionally followed with a colon and number,
        as in the
          <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:signature:IssuerEndorsement</literal>
        example, is reserved for this purpose for UBL users. As with all
        identifier references, the referenced identifier SHOULD exist
        and be unique across all such identifier values. An example is
        as follows:</para>

      <programlisting><![CDATA[ <cac:Signature>
   <cbc:ID>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:signature:Invoice</cbc:ID>
   <cbc:SignatureMethod
>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:dsig:enveloped</cbc:SignatureMethod>
   <cac:SignatoryParty>
     <cac:PartyIdentification>
       <cbc:ID>MyParty</cbc:ID>
     </cac:PartyIdentification>
   </cac:SignatoryParty>
 </cac:Signature>
]]></programlisting>

      <section>
        <title>Enveloped Signature Syntax</title>

        <para>There are two distinctive levels of syntax present:
          UBL-specified scaffolding under the extension point used to
          contain the signature information and IETF/W3C-specified
          information for each digital signature.</para>

        <para>One or more signature extensions in a given document MAY
          each contain one or more sets of signature information. The
          standard UBL-specified scaffolding for a given signature
          extension begins with the
            <literal>&lt;ext:UBLExtension></literal> element. The
          extension's role as a UBL signature extension is indicated
          with a child <literal>&lt;ext:ExtensionURI></literal> element
          with the
            <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:dsig:enveloped</literal>
          value. The
            <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:dsig:enveloped:xades</literal>
          value MAY be used to indicate the use of XAdES in the
          extension. Other extension metadata elements defined in UBL
          are allowed to be included for the convenience of users
          without changing the meaning or use of the extension.</para>

          metadata SHOULD be unique so that each extension can be
          uniquely identified. For the convenience of users, a URI with
          the URN beginning with
            <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:signature:</literal>
          and ending with a number value is reserved for this purpose
          for UBL users, and MAY be used. The value
            <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:signature:3</literal>
          is a suitable example.</para>

          element is the extension scaffolding that contains the UBL
          signature scaffolding. The apex element of the UBL signature
          information is
            <literal>&lt;sig:UBLDocumentSignatures></literal>. Note that
          three namespaces are used for signature information, in
          parallel with the UBL design of having a document namespace,
          aggregate namespace and basic namespace. The apex element is
          in the
            <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:CommonSignatureComponents-2</literal>
          namespace, a parallel to a UBL document namespace.
          Signature-related aggregate entities are in the
            <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:SignatureAggregateComponents-2</literal>
          namespace. Signature-related basic entities are in the
            <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:SignatureBasicComponents-2</literal>
          namespace. Accordingly, there are three W3C Schema fragments
          in the distribution accommodating these three
          namespaces.</para>

        <note>
          <para>Creators of other UBL extensions using this one as a
            model should review the UBL specification documentation for
            guidelines regarding this schema design pattern.</para>
        </note>

        <para>In each extension with signature information, the
            <literal>&lt;sig:UBLDocumentSignatures></literal> apex
          element contains one or more individual
            <literal>&lt;sac:SignatureInformation></literal> aggregates.
          One aggregate is used to contain the information related to a
          single IETF/W3C digital signature.</para>

        <para>An aggregate MAY be identified for referencing purposes
          using the common library <literal>&lt;cbc:ID></literal>
          element. Such an identifier MAY be used in scenarios where a
          particular signature needs to be identified external to the
          document, e.g. in workflow applications. The identifier used
          can be any value, but for convenience a URI consisting of a URN
          beginning with
            <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:signature:</literal>
          and ending with a number value is reserved for this purpose
          for UBL users. An example is
            <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:signature:3</literal>.
          As with all identifiers, each SHOULD be unique across all
          identifier values.</para>

        <para>An aggregate MAY make reference to an existing
            <literal>&lt;cac:Signature></literal> business object in the
          same UBL document. When needed, the
            <literal>&lt;sbc:ReferencedSignatureID></literal> basic
          element is used to point to the <literal>&lt;cbc:ID></literal>
          identifier value of the referenced
            <literal>&lt;cac:Signature></literal>. The identifier used
          can be any value, but for convenience a URI consisting of a URN
          beginning with
            <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:signature:</literal>
          and ending with the local name of the parent of the signature
          business object and optionally followed with a colon and
          number, as in the
            <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:signature:IssuerEndorsement</literal>
          example, is reserved for this purpose for UBL users. As with
          all identifier references, the referenced identifier SHOULD
          exist and be unique across all such identifier values.</para>
          child of the aggregate. It MAY be absent from the document,
          thus supporting workflow scenarios where the element is added
          by a subsequent process after the UBL scaffolding is added by
          an earlier process. However, the signature information is
          semantically incomplete without the IETF/W3C-defined element.
          To support countersignatures countersigning this signature,
          either this element or its
            <literal>&lt;ds:SignatureValue></literal> child element MUST
          use the <literal>Id=</literal> attribute with a value unique
          from other attributes of schema type <literal>ID</literal> in
          the instance.</para>
        <para>A skeleton example of a single signature corresponding to
          the example <literal>&lt;cac:Signature></literal> above is as
          follows:</para>
        <programlisting><![CDATA[<ext:ExtensionContent>
  <sig:UBLDocumentSignatures xmlns:sig=
    "urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:CommonSignatureComponents-2"
    xmlns:sac=
 "urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:SignatureAggregateComponents-2"
    xmlns:sbc=
     "urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:SignatureBasicComponents-2">
    <sac:SignatureInformation>
      <cbc:ID>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:signature:1</cbc:ID>
      <sbc:ReferencedSignatureID
>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:signature:Invoice</sbc:ReferencedSignatureID>
      <ds:Signature xmlns:ds="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#"; Id=...>
        <ds:SignedInfo>
          <ds:Reference URI=...>
            <ds:Transform>
            </ds:Transform>
          </ds:Reference>
        </ds:SignedInfo>
        <ds:SignatureValue Id=...>
        </ds:SignatureValue>
        <ds:KeyInfo>
        </ds:KeyInfo>
        <ds:Object>
        </ds:Object>
       </ds:Signature>
    </sac:SignatureInformation>
  </sig:UBLDocumentSignatures>
</ext:ExtensionContent>
]]></programlisting>

        <note>
          <para>The XAdES specification contains all qualifying XAdES
            information in a single <literal>&lt;ds:Object></literal>
            element located as shown above.</para>
        </note>

        <note>
          <para>A document with multiple
[...]

        <para>The content to be signed is indicated in the
          <literal>URI=</literal> attribute of
          <literal>&lt;ds:Reference></literal>. Using the empty string
          indicates that the entire document (i.e., the enveloping UBL
          instance) is what is being signed:</para>

        <programlisting><![CDATA[<ds:Reference URI="">
]]></programlisting>

        <para>A requirement when using digital signatures is to express
          in XPath that address that qualifies all nodes in the
          referenced content to be included in the calculation of the
          digital signature hash. For a signature added to a document to
          remain valid, none of the information can change, nor can any
          information be added or removed from that portion of the
          document included in the hash calculation.</para>

        <para>One of two such transformation expressions SHOULD be used
          in the UBL signature extension; choose the appropriate one to
          meet the objectives of the signature being added to the
          document. Adding non-signature information to the UBL document
          will invalidate all signatures already in the extension in
          either case; the choice to be made is in regard to support for
          adding additional signatures after adding the signature with
          the transformation expression.</para>

        <para>The following transformation element in a digital
          signature flexibly prevents the signature being invalidated by
          the subsequent addition of other signatures within the
          extension:</para>

        <programlisting><![CDATA[   <Transform
     Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xpath-19991116";>
    <XPath xmlns:sig=
"urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:CommonSignatureComponents-2">
      count(ancestor-or-self::sig:UBLDocumentSignatures |
             here()/ancestor::sig:UBLDocumentSignatures[1]) >
      count(ancestor-or-self::sig:UBLDocumentSignatures)
    </XPath>
   </Transform>
]]></programlisting>

        <para>The following transformation element in a digital
          signature is inflexible and thus would be considered a "final"
          signature to be added to the document. Such a signature will
          be invalidated by the subsequent addition of other signatures
          to the document:</para>

        <programlisting><![CDATA[   <Transform
     Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xpath-19991116";>
    <XPath xmlns:ds="http://www.w3.org/2000/09/xmldsig#";>
      count(ancestor-or-self::ds:Signature |
             here()/ancestor::ds:Signature[1]) >
      count(ancestor-or-self::ds:Signature)
    </XPath>
   </Transform>
]]></programlisting>

        <para>Multiple separate items of extra-document content (e.g.,
          attachments) or embedded IETF/W3C signature content MAY be
          included in the signature by adding sibling
          <literal>&lt;ds:Reference></literal> elements with other
          <literal>URI=</literal> attribute values. For example, to
          countersign another signature in the same UBL document, make a
          local reference to that signature's unique identifier as
          in:</para>

        <programlisting>&lt;ds:Reference URI="#<emphasis>{Id attribute of ds:Signature}</emphasis>"></programlisting>

        <para>To sign only a portion of a UBL document, an appropriate
          <xref linkend="b_xpointer"/> address for
            <literal>URI=</literal> SHOULD be used because UBL business
          object elements do not have attributes of type ID. This
          requires XPointer awareness on the part of the digital
          signature tools being used.</para>

      </section>

    </section>

    <section id="detached">
      <title>Detached XML Signatures for UBL Documents</title>

      <para>This profile supports the application to a UBL document of
        one or more signatures located outside of the document itself in
        some other resource.</para>

      <para>It is important to note that externally signing a UBL
      document with a detached signature imposes no requirements on the
      UBL document itself. Such a signature, in any kind of signature
      container, can digitally sign the content of a UBL document
      regardless of whether this is reflected in the document.</para>

      <para>If a user knows the document will have a detached conformant
        IETF/W3C XML digital signature, the user MAY choose to signal in
        their UBL document that it is so signed. The URI value
        <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:dsig:detached</literal>
        is reserved to indicate that the detached signature is an
        IETF/W3C XML digital signature. The URI
        <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:dsig:detached:xades</literal>
        MAY be used as a value to signal when XAdES is in use. The value
        is used in the <literal>&lt;cbc:SignatureMethod></literal> child

      <para>If the location of the digital signature is known, the user
        MAY choose to indicate the location in a
          <literal>&lt;cbc:URI></literal> child element of a
          <literal>&lt;cac:ExternalReference></literal> child element of
        a <literal>&lt;cac:DigitalSignatureAttachment></literal>
        element.</para>

      <para>A complete example of a
          <literal>&lt;cac:Signature></literal> business object in the
        UBL instance is:</para>

      <programlisting><![CDATA[ <cac:Signature>
   <cbc:ID>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:signature:Invoice</cbc:ID>
   <cbc:SignatureMethod
>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:dsig:detached</cbc:SignatureMethod>
   <cac:SignatoryParty>
     <cac:PartyIdentification>
       <cbc:ID>MyParty</cbc:ID>
     </cac:PartyIdentification>
   </cac:SignatoryParty>
   <cac:DigitalSignatureAttachment>
     <cac:ExternalReference>
       <cbc:URI>sigFile.xml</cbc:URI>
     </cac:ExternalReference>
   </cac:DigitalSignatureAttachment>
 </cac:Signature>
]]></programlisting>

      <note>
        <para>A document with multiple detached signatures is simply a
[...]

        <para>The content to be signed is addressed in the
            <literal>URI=</literal> attribute of

        <programlisting><![CDATA[<ds:Reference URI="myInvoice.xml">
]]></programlisting>

        <para>An option when using detached digital signatures is to
          express in XPath that address that qualifies all nodes in the
          referenced content to be included in the calculation of the
          digital signature hash. For a signature calculated for a
          document to remain valid, none of the signed information can
          change, nor can any information be added or removed from that
          portion of the document included in the hash
          calculation.</para>

        <para>Consider the need to create a detached signature for a UBL
          file in which there already exists an enveloped signature. The
          following transformation element in a digital signature
          flexibly prevents the signature being invalidated by the
          subsequent addition of any signatures using the enveloped
          profile within the extension of the document being
          signed:</para>

        <programlisting><![CDATA[   <Transform
     Algorithm="http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xpath-19991116";>
    <XPath xmlns:sig=
"urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:CommonSignatureComponents-2">
      count(ancestor-or-self::sig:UBLDocumentSignatures)=0
    </XPath>
   </Transform>
]]></programlisting>

[...]

    <title>Conformance</title>
    <para>Claiming syntax conformance to the enveloped profile of this
      specification requires:</para>
    <itemizedlist>
      <listitem>
        <para>the schema-valid expression of a UBL extension when the
          UBL Signature apex element is the apex of the
          extension;</para>
      </listitem>
      <listitem>
          present in the UBL extension and has either
            <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:dsig:enveloped</literal>
          or
            <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:dsig:enveloped:xades</literal>
          as its value;</para>
      </listitem>
      <listitem>
        <para>the value in all uses of
            <literal>&lt;sbc:ReferencedSignatureID></literal>, when
          present, correlates to a corresponding
            <literal>&lt;cbc:ID></literal> element of a
            <literal>&lt;cac:Signature></literal> element in the same
          instance; and</para>
      </listitem>
      <listitem>
          when present, of signature business objects whose signatures
          are in the UBL extension has either
            <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:dsig:enveloped</literal>
          or
            <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:dsig:enveloped:xades</literal>
          as its value.</para>
      </listitem>
    </itemizedlist>

    <para>Claiming processing conformance to the enveloped profile of
      this specification requires the conformant processing of all
      contained <literal>&lt;ds:Signature></literal> elements per <xref
      linkend="b_xmldsig"/>.</para>

    <para>Claiming syntax conformance to the detached profile of this
      specification requires that the
      <literal>&lt;cbc:SignatureMethod></literal> element, when present,
      of signature business objects whose signatures are outside of the
      UBL document has either
      <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:dsig:detached</literal>
      or
      <literal>urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:dsig:detached:xades</literal>
      as its value.</para>

    <section>
      <title>XAdES Conformance</title>

      <para>When conformance to XAdES in a UBL document is chosen, this
        specification requires the valid expression and processing of
        the XAdES syntax found in an XMLDSig per <xref
        linkend="b_XAdES"/>.</para>

    </section>
  </section>

  <appendix role="non-normative">

    <title>Acknowledgments</title>
    <para>The following OASIS members have participated in the creation of
      this specification and are gratefully acknowledged.</para>
    <itemizedlist>
      <listitem>
        <para><?nospell-start?>I&#241;igo Barreira, iZenpe S.A.,
          ETSI/ESI member<?nospell-end?></para>
      </listitem>
      <listitem>
        <para><?nospell-start?>Oriol Baus&#224; Peris, Invinet Sistemes
          2003, S.L.<?nospell-end?></para>
      </listitem>
      <listitem>
        <para><?nospell-start?>Andrea Caccia, Associazione Italiana
          Tesorieri d'Impresa, ETSI/ESI member<?nospell-end?></para>
      </listitem>
      <listitem>
        <para><?nospell-start?>Roberto Cisternino,
          JAVEST<?nospell-end?></para>
      </listitem>
      <listitem>
        <para><?nospell-start?>Juan Carlos Cruellas, Centre
          d'aplicacions avan&#231;ades d'Internet (UPC), ETSI/ESI
          member<?nospell-end?></para>
      </listitem>
      <listitem>
        <para>G. Ken Holman, Crane Softwrights Ltd.</para>
      </listitem>
      <listitem>
        <para><?nospell-start?>Juli&#225;n Inza, Albalia
          Interactiva<?nospell-end?></para>
      </listitem>
    </itemizedlist>

  </appendix>