ubl-ttsc message

Subject: [ubl-ttsc] Update

Dear TTSC:

Despite Gunther's large piece of work, there has been little or no
commentary on it on this list.

Given that we are coming up to the face-to-face next week, I wanted to
summarize where we are with tools issues, and to propose to the group a
basic plan, which should serve as the basis for activity next week.

A few points to note:

(1) The NDR SC has come up with a set of draft rules that are very much in
alignment with the work Gunther has done, regarding the organization of the
core library as a namespace full of globally-declared types, which would
then be used by locally-defined elements. The changes required to Gunther's
tools for naming and full compliance with the NDR draft in other ways will
be fairly straightforward to implement. They anticipate moving to the use of
XML Schema as their working format after the face-to-face, giving us a
deadline for having a workable set of tools.

(2) Within the Library Subcommittee, Tim McGrath has been going over
Gunther's approach, and offering some helpful revisions. On Friday, we will
have a final working set of descriptive attributes for the components to be
described in the UBL library, along with a revised version of Gunther's
proposed use of XML Schema to provide a working format for the face-to-face
meeting.

In short, our major dependencies on these groups are very close to being
met.

I have also been working on an XSL stylesheet for displaying the working
versions of schemas in an XML form, for those who choose to work in an
editing tool other than XML Spy (which Gunther and many members of the
Library SC have been using). I will gladly accept help from anyone who's
more of an XSLT guru than I am.

At the face-to-face meeting, I would like to keep our meeting short and to
the point. Points we should address include:

(1) Meeting with the LCSC to determine what exactly they need from us.
(2) Meting with NDR SC to determine if we can support their full range of
recommendations, as they make more final decisions on open issues.
(3) Determine if the tools we currently have will support the on-going work.
- XML Schema editors and viewers
- XML-to-UML tool (Dave, we're counting on you here)
- Management tools to help the LCSC keep a handle on their library as it is
developed
- Others?
(4) Assign actions

If there are any comments or questions about this, please let me know.
Hopefully, you will be receiving some more info before next week. This group
has been incredibly low-profile, which is OK by me since we're all in other
SCs as well. I just wanted to make sure that we have the minimal bases
covered to support the other groups.

Cheers,

Arofan