ubl message

Subject: UBL meeting update

We currently have 24 people registered for the first UBL TC
meeting.  This is consistent with earlier attendance at UBL Group
meetings and, in light of recent events, a pretty good turnout.
See http://oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/200110/reg.htm for a
current list.

I have secured a room on the Sun campus in Menlo Park that will
accommodate 28 people.  If we get more than that, then I will have
to look for hotel space in San Francisco.  So if you've been
meaning to register but haven't done so yet, please do it now
rather than waiting until it's too late for me to get a larger
room.  Given that the meeting location is not certain yet, you
should probably wait a week or two to book hotel accommodations.
I have been assured by local hoteliers that finding rooms will not
be a problem.

If you want to participate in the UBL work but can't attend the
first meeting, don't worry.  Most of the actual work will take
place not in the TC itself but in its subcommittees, and these
subcommittees will probably meet almost entirely by phone.  Given
the travel problems that we all face right now, I expect that the
TC will become in essence a steering committee mainly populated by
the chairs of the subcommittees plus whoever else is dedicated
enough to attend in person.

If you want to become a member of the TC itself but you can't
attend the first meeting, make a note to contact me immediately
following the first meeting with a request to become a member.  If
you're eligible to participate in OASIS TC work (meaning that you
are an individual OASIS member or an employee of an OASIS member
organization), then you will automatically become a voting member
of the TC after two more TC meetings or 60 days, whichever comes
first.

If you just want to participate in the technical work, simply
monitor the ubl mail list after the week of 29 October for a
description of the subcommittees formed at the first meeting and
contact the chairs of the subcommittees you want to work with
directly.  We will be adopting rules for the conduct of the
subcommittees at the meeting 29 October.

Jon Bosak
Chair, UBL Group
Designated Chair, UBL TC