ubl message

Subject: [ubl] Fwd: OASIS Members to Develop Universal Business Language

See below for the text of a press release from OASIS announcing
the formation of the UBL TC.

Note that this is an OASIS press release, not a UBL TC press
release.  The explicit mention of certain companies is because
they are OASIS sponsors and thus get press releases like this one
as a member benefit.  We will be figuring out our own publicity
policy at the upcoming UBL TC meeting in Menlo Park.

Jon

Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 12:21:46 -0400
From: Carol Geyer <carol.geyer@oasis-open.org>
To: announce@lists.oasis-open.org

OASIS Members Form Technical Committee to Develop Universal
Business Language

Companies Unite on International Standard for XML-Based Electronic
Business Documents

Boston, MA, USA; 17 October 2001 -- OASIS, the XML
interoperability consortium, today announced its members have
formed the OASIS Universal Business Language (UBL) Technical
Committee to define a common XML business document library. UBL
will provide a set of XML building blocks and a framework that
will enable trading partners to unambiguously identify and
exchange business documents in specific contexts. Uniting
disparate efforts underway by companies and standards groups
around the world, the OASIS UBL Technical Committee intends to
enhance and harmonize overlapping XML business libraries and
similar technologies to advance consensus on an international
standard.

"Agreement on a common set of XML business-to-business document
standards is essential for successful electronic commerce," said
Jon Bosak of Sun Microsystems, chair of the OASIS UBL Technical
Committee and organizer of the working group that created
XML. "Our goal in creating UBL is to quickly develop a synthesis
of existing XML business libraries using the OASIS open
collaborative process."

"Anything that supports convergence and reusability of the wildly
proliferating -MLs in every business domain is absolutely critical
to realizing XML's promise," said Rita Knox, analyst, Gartner.
"Custom XML-defined transactions in every line of business
perpetuates proprietary solutions. Vocabulary-level clearinghouses
and repositories are essential to interoperability and an approach
end-users are beginning to understand and are ready to adopt and
support."

"Commerce One is pleased to submit xCBL 3.0, our XML component and
business document library, to the OASIS UBL Technical Committee as
a starting point for this work," said Dr. Mary Loomis, Senior VP
of Engineering. "Our company vision and products have always been
based on open XML specifications to enable interoperability
between business services and B2B marketplaces. Since xCBL's
inception in 1998 we have granted royalty-free licenses to anyone
who wants to use it and will make this submittal to the OASIS UBL
TC royalty-free also. We are confident that OASIS is the
appropriate place to advance the UBL standard, because of the
consortium's broad industry representation and international
focus."

Karl Best, director of technical operations for OASIS, emphasized,
"The consortium urges all organizations that have developed XML
business documents to join this important effort. Our aim is to
encourage the widest possible range of participation in UBL."

Initial members of the OASIS Universal Business Language Technical
Committee include Arbortext, Boeing, Commerce One, SAP, SoftQuad
Software, Sun Microsystems, VerticalNet, Vitria, XML Global and
other OASIS Contributors and Individual members. Information on
joining OASIS can be found on http://www.oasis-open.org/join.

OASIS will host an open mail list,
ubl-comment@lists.oasis-open.org, for public comment on
UBL. Completed work will be freely available to the public without
licensing or other fees.

Industry Support for UBL

"Sun is very supportive of the Universal Business Language (UBL)
being developed at OASIS," said Bill Smith, Director, XML
Technology Center, Sun Microsystems. "UBL will provide a much
needed set of common XML based semantics for business
communications. We see this work as a complementary and very
important component of the XML standards framework being defined
by the industry now for electronic business."

"We are pleased to be a part of the Oasis UBL initiative," said
Hugo Daley, Vice President of Technology Strategy for
Verticalnet. "As a premier provider of software for business
process visibility and event management across enterprise
networks, Verticalnet is committed to advancing open standards
that promote business interoperability. The success of UBL should
radically reduce the cost of deploying our next generation
software for extended enterprise management."

“XML Global is a committed and active supporter of the OASIS
UBL initiative," said Duane Nickull, CTO of XML Global
Technologies, Inc.  "With our company’s leading edge ebXML
work, and experience with registries and business component
taxonomies, I am pleased to be able to offer my services and
insights to the UBL TC with the objective of seeing this
initiative evolve into a workable and effective business
solution.”

About OASIS

OASIS is the XML interoperability consortium, advancing
collaboration, convergence and adoption of open specifications for
structured information exchange. Members themselves set the OASIS
technical agenda, using a lightweight, open process expressly
designed to promote industry consensus and unite disparate
efforts. OASIS is the home for XML conformance, web services,
security, business transactions, electronic publishing, topic maps
and other interoperability specifications development.

OASIS and the United Nations jointly sponsor ebXML, a global
framework for electronic business data exchange. OASIS operates
XML.org, a community clearinghouse for XML application schemas,
vocabularies and related documents. OASIS hosts The XML Cover
Pages, an online reference collection for interoperable markup
language standards.

OASIS has more than 400 corporate and individual members in 100
countries around the world. OASIS sponsors include Accenture,
Access360, Adobe Systems, Agital, Airbus, Altova, Arbortext,
Auto-trol, Aventail, Baltimore Technologies, B-Bop Associates, BEA
Systems, Bentley Systems, The Boeing Company, Bowstreet, Business
Logic Corporation, Chrystal Software, Cincom Systems, Citrix
Systems, Cohesia, Commerce One, Critical Path, CrossLogix, Cyclone
Commerce, DataChannel, Dataloom, Deutsche Post AG, Documentum,
election.com, empolis, Engage, Enigma, Epicentric, Excelergy,
eXcelon, Extricity Software, Fujitsu, Hewlett-Packard, IBM,
Identrus, Informix, Infoteria, Innodata, Intel, Interwoven, IONA,
IPNet Solutions, ITEDO Software, Ivis Group, Jamcracker, Logistics
Management Institute, Mediaplex, Mercator Software, Microsoft,
Neocore, Netegrity, Netscape/AOL, NextPage, NII Enterprise
Promotion Association, Nimble Technology, NIST, Novell,
ObjectSpace, Oblix, OpenNetwork Technologies, Oracle, Pearson
Education, Popkin Software, Republica, Reuters Limited, SAA
Consultants, Sabre, SAP, Securant, SeeBeyond, Silverstream,
SoftQuad Software, Software AG, Sterling Commerce, StreamServe,
Sun Microsystems, Sybase, Tata Consultancy Services, The Tamalpais
Group, Thomas Technology Solutions, Tibco, Unisys, US Defense
Information Systems Agency, VerticalNet, Virtual Access Networks,
Vitria, webMethods, Whitehill Technologies, Xerox, XML Global,
XMLSolutions and Xyvision Enterprise Solutions.

For more information:
Carol Geyer
Director of Communications
OASIS