ubl message

Subject: [ubl] Tally of preferences for August UBL meeting

Here are the results of the poll regarding preferences for the
August UBL TC meeting.  You'll recall that the choices were:

   1. 28 July through 1 August 2003 in Montreal

   2. The same week, 28 July through 1 August 2003, at one of these
      locations:

      2a. Menlo Park, California (Sun corporate facilities)

      2b. Washington, D.C. (LMI corporate facilities)

      2c. Boston area (Burlington at Sun facilities or Cambridge
          at MIT facilities)

   3. The week following the Extreme Markup conference, 11 through
      15 August 2003, at one of these locations:

      3a. Menlo Park, California (Sun corporate facilities)

      3b. Washington, D.C. (LMI corporate facilities)

      3c. Boston area (Burlington at Sun facilities or Cambridge
          at MIT facilities)

Many respondents unfortunately did not cooperate in putting their
preferences in a form that could easily be tallied.  As nearly as
I can interpret them, however, the responses stack up like this:

	   prefer          can live with           cannot live with

   1       ........        .........
   2a      ........        ..........              ..
   2b      ...             ..............
   2c      ..              ............            ...
   3a      ......          .......                 .....
   3b      ..              ............            ...
   3c      ..              ..........              .....

I observe the following:

 - The only alternatives everyone can live with are 1 and 2b.

 - I've confirmed that if we hold the meeting in Montreal, we will
   have to pay for projectors and phones.  This could add USD
   100-200 to our individual cost of participation.

Since I'm not sure that everyone was taking this last factor into
account, I'd like to resubmit the question based on just the
remaining choices.  So please answer the following by mail to me
(not the list) no later than COB Tuesday 25 February:

Which of these two alternatives do you prefer for our UBL TC
meeting the week of 7/28-8/1:

   1. Meeting rooms at the Montreal Hilton (the location of the
      Extreme Markup conference the following week), the cost of
      projectors and phones to be borne by the participants, or

   2. Meeting rooms at LMI corporate facilities in Tyson's Corners
      (near Washington, D.C.)

Jon