ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Global vs. Local -- Gunther's Recommendation

I'm very sorry for the delay, but I attach some comments on Gunther's
paper, done as Word "yellow note" comments.  I hope to discuss these in
the NDR call today.  I don't think I've followed Jim's guidelines to the
letter, but I hope that I have followed them in spirit!

	Eve

Jim Wilson wrote:
> UBL Team,
>
> Greetings from cold, cold Kansas City. Moments ago Gunther delivered to
> me his much-anticipated Global vs. Local recommendation. Jon suggested
> and the TC agreed to a moderated discussion of Gunther's recommendation
> on this list. We're getting a bit of a late start, so everyone needs to
> be more constructive than ever when posting over the next few days. We
> have a 2 March deadline to complete this discussion unless Lisa or Jon
> directs me to extend it.
>
> I've attached Gunther's document. I converted his original Word document
> to PDF with line numbers and bookmarks. Included in the PDF are the
> minutes from the last NDRSC discussion on the topic for your convenience
> (refer to the archives for more information). I also included Gunther's
> original Word document in case you want to check for better image
> quality. Sorry about the attachment size, but I'm sure you understand in
> this case.
>
> Review the following ground rules and then weigh in with your opinions.
> By the way, I'm the moderator.
>

> Discussion Guidelines
> ----------------------------
>
> 1. Focus on Gunther's recommendation and supporting arguments. Do not
> rehash past discussions unless they are relevant to Gunther's
> recommendation and supporting arguments.
>
> 2. Validate Gunther's discussion of "the global problem" (my term).
> Consider whether or not the problem really exists and the degree to
> which the problem would impact stakeholders--end users especially.
>
> 3. Validate that Gunther's recommendation addresses the problem.
>
> 4. Consider whether or not Gunther's recommendation, if accepted, would
> introduce new problems. If so, what are their implications? Which set of
> problems minimizes negative impact on the stakeholders?
>
> 5. Be sure that you DO NOT somehow reply and include the attached file.
>
> 6. Refer to numbered sections, pages, and line numbers when appropriate.
> Yes, I know, it's common sense.
>
> 7. Moderator suggestions are welcome when sent to jim.wilson@kcx.com.
>

> Best regards,
> Jim Wilson
>
> 816-525-2000 work
> 816-516-8847 mobile
> jim.wilson@kcx.com

Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 354 9441
Web Technologies and Standards               eve.maler @ sun.com

wd-ublndrsc-codelist-03_las_20030306-elm.doc