ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Global vs. Local -- Gunther's Recommendation

Hi Stig,

I don't mean to be a pain, and as I indicated, I can easily see how
local elements simulate properties of OO classes most directly.  But can
I ask you to comment, given your experience, on the issues I raised in
my message of the 14th?  I'm really trying to understand what the
technical deficits of global elements are.  In particular:

- What problems would/did you experience in doing an OO mapping if the
elements were global?

- What maintenance or packaging problems would/did you experience if the
elements were global?

- Have you created any new document types using datatype or element
piece-parts from your original library, and if so, how did you find the
"interface" between the native/foreign element switching in the instances?

Thanks,

	Eve

Stig Korsgaard wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Having carefully considered the arguments around Local vs. Global my opinion
> is that I support the recommendation and arguments of Gunther by using local
> defined elements instead of global defined elements. We are alreday using
> the Venetian Blind design style in several national projects in Denmark
> including Finance and Government. And especially the possibility of only
> having elements declared global if there is a reason behind it has through
> experience proved to be beneficial.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Stig Korsgaard
> M.Sc.E., Standardisation Coordinator
> Danish Bankers Association
> Tel: +45 33 70 10 83
> Cell: +45 21 21 82 34
> Fax: +45 33 93 02 60
> E-mail: stk@finansraadet.dk
Sun Microsystems                            cell +1 781 354 9441
Web Technologies and Standards               eve.maler @ sun.com