ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] CLSC: Draft paper on code list data models: draft-coates-codeListDataModels-0p1

At 2003-12-02 14:55 +0800, Chin Chee-Kai wrote:
>On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, Tim McGrath wrote:
>
> >>we must avoid building the NDRs for code lists before we have the
> >>semantics right.
>
>I tend to agree.  I'll go a bit stronger even, that we
>don't call it Naming & Design Rules anymore, but instead, call it
>Code List Construction Specification.

I don't see a difference.

>What we need are constructive specs rather than constraining
>rules to tell us how, given a finite set of code values, to
>render the code values in a systematic, unambiguous and
>consistent manner into a code list schema for that given set
>of code values.

But I interpret NDR items as being just that: specifications on how schema
expressions are constructed from semantic components.

>Agree as well.  I think one most important outcome of CLSC is
>to tell us how to construct a code list schema when given a
>finite set of code values, whether they are from external (to
>UBL), or internal.

Ummmmmmm ... but NDR dictates schema construction ... we can go to NDR with
the Code List SC data model, satisfying the requirements of Library Content
SC, and have NDR prescribe the schema syntax compatible with the rest of
the UBL model expression in schema syntax.  If we don't then how can we
ensure that what gets produced meshes properly with the rest of the system
built around the NDR rules?

>One starting point would certainly be the Code List Catalogue, which is a
>master list of various code lists used in UBL.

Indeed!

>Knowing in advance that UBL itself will not register
>the entire universe of all code lists, the same "master list" model
>could be re-used and implemented in other organisations managing
>several lists as well.

Yes, the Code List SC data model should be flexible enough, as indicated in
Tony's position paper, that any organization needing perhaps a W3C schema,
perhaps a data base table, perhaps a DTD fragment, perhaps a Java class
definition can all satisfy their own respective expressions with an
underlying agreement on what means what.

--
Next public European delivery:  3-day XSLT/2-day XSL-FO 2004-01-??
Instructor-led on-site corporate, government & user group training

ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 0-13-140374-5                               Definitive XSL-FO
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-11-X               Practical Formatting Using XSL-FO
Member of the XML Guild of Practitioners:     http://XMLGuild.info
Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc