ubl message

Subject: RNG schemas for UBL

Hello UBL TC,

When we started UBL in OASIS two years ago, we inherited from the
ad hoc UBL planning group a very early NDR decision to avoid the
use of XSD features that would prevent the realization of UBL in
other schema syntaxes, in particular Relax NG, which is an ISO
standard that many people prefer to XSD.  Relax NG compatibility
was dropped as a formal NDR requirement some time ago, but it
remains a desirable goal.

The IEC ISO ITU UN/ECE eBusiness MoU Management Group, which has
maintained UBL on its continuing agenda for two years now,
is on record with the following recommendations:

   02/07 (6.4 of N0113): It is recommended that RELAX NG, ASN.1,
   and XSD be considered as important and to some extent
   complementary candidates for XML schema definitions.

   02/08 (6.4 of N0113): It is recommended that groups producing
   XML schemas for Ebusiness should consider parallel
   specification using at least two of the above in order to
   maximize the tools available to developers, and in order to
   benefit from efficient binary encoding (currently available
   only in ASN.1).

I was happy to be able to report to the MoU/MG at its meeting near
Detroit 24-25 November that UBL has included an ASN.1 binding
since version 0.7 and that a team has been formed under the
direction of Professor Naito at the Osaka Institute of Technology
to create Relax NG equivalents of the UBL 1.0 XSD schemas.

Professor Naito has just reported the results of early work by his
team in the message to the UBL LCSC and TTSC below.  I am copying
it to the UBL list in an attempt to stop cross-posting between
SCs, a subject that will be taken up in tomorrow's coordination
call, and in order to put Naito-san's work in front of a wider
audience that includes some Relax NG experts so that they can
evaluate his approach.

Since we have no SC devoted to Relax NG practices for UBL, and
since Relax NG alignment is not a formal requirement for UBL, I
suggest that people interested in the subject forward this message
to other interested parties and correspond with Professor Naito
directly for the moment regarding the questions raised in his
message.

In the future, I hope that Professor Naito will continue to update
us on his progress by posting to the public ubl-dev list that will
be announced shortly so that this important project receives the
widest possible exposure.

Jon