ubl message

Subject: Weekly Coordination Call

The 28 January UBL CSC coordination call will take place
8 a.m. California time at the following number:

   STANDING INFORMATION FOR UBL CONFERENCE CALLS
   U.S. domestic toll-free number: (866)839-8145
   Int. access/caller paid number: (865)524-6352
   Access code: 5705229

As usual, the call is officially a CSC conference, but
participation is open to all interested UBL TC members.  All CSC members PLEASE try and join.

Issue 2004-0109-01
   "We have not yet settled on regular times for either the
   Pacific calls,

Status (2004.01.21)
Still open for Pacific Call times.

Discussion (2004.01.21)

      We believe that this summarizes the forgoing: c confirmed that LCSC produce the code list catalogue, CLSC produces model and XSD template, NDR confirms the template, TTSC instantiates the catalogue using the template. Anne raised the question of the LCSC catalogue.  We believe that the LCSC has not had the opportunity to update the catalogue.  Ken confirmed that CLSC addresses the catalogue in his work, but is going back to first principles as a precursor.  At the moment Ken does not believe that there is a need to add columns to meet requirements.  Michael stated that he has raised several questions regarding the code list catalogue.  Mark also pointed out that Stephen had raised questions regarding code list content.  Michael also mentioned that since we are changing from the previous spreadsheet tool to a new model driven tool, there may be some issues and he has a developer reviewing NDR.

Status (2004.01.28) Still Outstanding

    - We need to reach out to external code list agencies to work
      with us; could this
Discussion (2004.01.09)

EbSC might be the right forum.  We should also put forward a proposal to TC154 to work with us.

Issue 2004-0109-01 Conformance Testing Criteria (Renumbered)

    - We need to address the question of conformance testing
      criteria.

Discussion (2004.01.09)

TTSC can't do conformance testing until we know what normative conformance is.  They need clarified detailed definition of normative conformance.  EG says that conformance is others conformance to our approach, not UBL conformance.  There was a general discussion regarding the differences between customizations of the model and customizations of the XSD and which are appropriate.

Decision (2004.01.09)

The consensus is that this needs to be decided at the F2F to get everyone involved and we would focus on fostering a discussion thread between now and the F2F to air the issues.

Status (2004.01.28)  Still Open for fostering discussion thread on conformance

 2003-1212-02 Schema compliance to NDRs

   Issue

      We need an owner for "review of schemas to ensure they
      conform to NDR rules."

   Outcomes (2003.12.12)

      The responsibility for reviewing the schemas for NDR
      compliance clearly belongs to NDR.  The key questions are:

         1. Who in the NDRSC is actually responsible for doing
            this?

         2. How far are they empowered to make judgments on their
            own?  To put it another way: how and when do they
            escalate resolution on particular points to a larger
            group?

   Assignments (2003.12.12)

       - NDRSC to identify and empower someone willing and able to
         perform the NDR compliance function (or report that we
         have a resource problem).

       - NDRSC to specify an escalation plan for rule
         interpretation and conflict resolution.

   Status (2004.01.28)

	Michael Dill has assigned developers to review schema and NDRs.

2003-1212-03 Schema validation

   Issue

      We need a clear assignment of responsibility for validating
      schemas and example instances using various XSD validators
      every time the schemas are modified.

   Assignment (2003.12.12)

      TTSC to decide which validators shall be considered
      authoritative (there should be several) and to fix the
      responsibility for (1) running validation checks using these
      validators after each build and (2) reporting to the TC that
      the build has successfully passed all the checks.

  Status (2004-01-28)  Open

2003-1212-07 Schema generation

   Issue

      I think this refers to the whole question of who's
      responsible for what going into the next build cycle.  But I
      could be wrong; it's Tim's item.

  Status (2004-01-28)  Open

2003-1212-08 NDR document

   Issues

    - Publication/feedback schedule

    - Effect of changes on Beta -> FCS

  Status (2004-01-28)  Open

2003-1212-09 Beta/FCS diff tracking

   Issue

      How to maintain and communicate thoroughly detailed diffs of
      changes between Beta and FCS for input to the UBL
      localization SCs and early implementers

  Status (2004-01-28)  Open

2003-1212-10 Populating the OASIS Registry with UBL artifacts

   Issues

     - What is needed

     - Who can do it

     - Deadline 15 January

   Background

      See the thread beginning at

         http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-csc/200312/msg00028.html

      And further input at

         http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-csc/200312/msg00055.html

	Discussion 2004-01-16

Marion is concerned that there has been no activity on this item and would like to see this addressed.  If the deadline is self imposed then we need to adjust.  If it is an external deadline, then we need to seek an extension.  Marion believes that there are two parts 1) should it be done and 2) what are the activities that need to take place to make this happen. Mark to send message to listserve soliciting opinions.

Status (2004-01-28)  Open

2003-1212-11 UBL compliance

   Issue

      What does it mean to be "UBL compliant"?

   Status

      TTSC (which must answer this question for practical reasons)
      is beginning to analyze the issue and is in the process of
      producing some use cases for further discussion.  I have
      forwarded their latest thinking on this in separate mail to
      the TC list.  But the question cuts across CMSC, LCSC, CLSC,
      and NDRSC, and therefore its resolution is a coordination
      issue.

   Background

      See the TTSC preliminary analysis of use cases:

         http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200312/msg00036.html

      And the 1.0 Beta "Guidelines For The Customization of UBL
      Schemas":

         http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/lcsc/UBLv1-beta/cm/wd-cmsc-cmguidelines-1.0-beta.html

      A paper written by the late Michael Adcock is also felt to
      be relevant to this discussion:

         http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ubl/ubl-lcsc/download.php/4364/Context_NewPaper.doc

  Status (2004-01-28)  Open

2004-0109-01 Code list input from SC4

   Issue

      At the MoU/MG meeting in Detroit 24-25 November 2003, it was
      noted that ISO TC184/SC4 (industrial and product data) has
      done a lot of thinking about vocabularies in areas such as
      materials handling and process control.  We should submit
      our code list catalogue to SC4 via the MoU/MG to see whether
      SC4 has content to contribute.

   Relevant links

      www.tc184-sc4.org
      www.tc184-sc4.org/About_TC184-SC4/About_SC4_Standards/

      The second one gives an overview of the SC4 work.

   Responsibility

      This appears to be a joint CLSC and LCSC item.

Status (2004-01-28)  Open

Mark
Mark Crawford
Research Fellow - LMI XML Lead
W3C Advisory Committee, OASIS, RosettaNet Representative
Vice Chair - OASIS UBL TC & Chair Naming and Design Rules Subcommittee
Chair - UN/CEFACT XML Syntax Working Group
Editor - UN/CEFACT Core Components
______
Logistics Management Institute
2000 Corporate Ridge, McLean, VA 22102-7805
(703) 917-7177 Fax (703) 917-7481
Wireless (703) 655-4810
mcrawford@lmi.org
<http://www.lmi.org/>