ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Abstract type (was: Re: A Codelist Issue)

I don't remember this explicitly being discussed but it was my
understanding that only the issues were being raised (or we'd be there
forever!), and that everyone that had a strong enough interest to object
had done their homework and read the document.  This very explicitly
appears in every version of the code list document going back as far as
I have archived (right now to January) in many places - there is an
entire section on the schema representation.  Step 1 at the start of
section 4 (XML Schema Representation of Code Lists) says "Define an
abstract element for inclusion in extensible schemas ...", then Step 4
says to "Define an element that substitutes for the abstract type to
enable usage in unextended schemas.".

This is slightly irksome about the objection to substitution groups as
well.  I noticed the conflict on the use of substitution groups several
weeks before the f2f and raised it in a clsc meeting as something we'd
have to get ndr review of.  We discussed at the time that there was no
other way to get the required functionality - or no better way.  Then at
the start of the F2F I asked Mike (G) to do a pass over the cl document
with an eye to ndr compliance and mentioned the substitution group use
to him then.  We discussed the possibility of getting approval to use it
in this instance, since there were several other places where the ndr
mentions that other forbidden constructs that would be natural
alternatives to substitution were noted as being possible exceptions for
the case of code lists.  Actually, there are several instances where the
ndr makes exceptions for code lists (eg. xsd:union) and Mike (correct me
here if I'm overstating this, Mike) thought there was a good reason here
to ask for similar dispensation.  Since I didn't participate in the
smaller cl meetings during the rest of the week, I assumed this had been
discussed there as well.  If it wasn't that's becuase I assume the issue
Stephen raised was taking precedence, but regardless, we certainly had
enough warning that this was the construct being used!  Its mention is
throughout the document.

The real issue I see is not that ndr fobids it, but why, so if we can
focus not on the rule, but the reason why this is not a justifyable use
of these constructs if truly there are no other alternatives to provide
functionality we feel is needed (and yes, I agree, the need is still not
completely clear, but after listening to Sylvia and Marty I feel more
stronly it is, as a real use case, similar to Stephen's use case for the
presence of metadata in the instances) then we should udnerstand the
risks vs benefits and what our options are in the face of requirements
we hadn't heard of before, rather than just say 'we have a rule ...'.
 I'm not advocating questioning every rule, but when something like this
comes up that may really be the best alternative we should go a little
deeper on it, I think.

Although I don't recall your final presentation details to the plenary,
given this is so integral to the solution, and discussed in so much of
the document, I would have expected you to have it in your final diagram
you presented to the plenary, yes.

-A