ubl message

Subject: [no subject]

There has been some confusion on two points: HK vs. PRC and
tourist vs. travel visas.

1. HK vs. PRC

   The visa requirements for visiting the People's Republic of
   China outside of the Hong Kong Administrative Region are quite
   different from the requirements for visiting Hong Kong itself.
   If you intend to continue the trip into mainland China, you
   will need to look into this as a separate question.

2. Tourist vs. Business

   The document posted at the web site above does not make this
   distinction.  Instead, it says:

      you will need a visa or entry permit to work, study,
      establish or join in any business or to take up residence in
      the HKSAR.

   Clearly "work" as used here means a job for hire in Hong Kong.
   That's not what we're doing, so it seems to me that we're OK to
   enter without a visa.  However, I'd like to accept HKU's offer
   to send us an official letter of invitation from CECID that we
   can print out and take with us just to be on the safe side.  I
   will forward the PDF version of that letter as soon as I
   receive it.

Jon