ubl message

Subject: Minutes: UBL TC Atlantic Call June 2 2004

Dear all
please find attached a copy of the Minutes of the Atlantic call for the
UBL TC.
Next week's call will take place at the same time and on the same
number.

The Atlantic call will be held every week at a time corresponding to 8
a.m. Wednesday in San
Francisco and 4 p.m. Wednesday in London, is scheduled for the
convenience of members in the eastern U.S. and Europe.

     STANDING INFORMATION FOR UBL CONFERENCE CALLS
     U.S. domestic toll-free number: (866)839-8145
     Int. access/caller paid number: (865)524-6352
     Access code: 5705229
Regards
Mavis
UBL TC Atlantic Call Minutes June 2 2004

1. Welcome and Roll Call by the moderator Mavis Cournane

Jon Bosak
Ken Holman
Paul Thorpe
Anne Hendry
Mavis Cournane
Sally Chan
Lisa Seaburg
Sylvia Webb
Bill Meadows
Stephen Green
Mark Crawford
Jessica Glace
Sue Probert
Michael Dill

2. Calendar review (see http://ibiblio.org/bosak/ubl/calendar.htm)
Jon will take responsibility for maintaining the calendar.

One addition to the Calendar is the MoUMG meeting to be held Nov 22-23 in the US, it is not know where yet.
June 21-25 ATG meeting, Mark, Sue, Gunther will attend.
The EIDX meeting will have a section on semantic standardization and is trying to get UDEF, CCTS and ontology speakers on this. Mark will attend.

9-13 August TBG 17 Interim meeting  Stig will attend

For Extreme UBL is outside scope.
13-17 Sept CEFACT Forum, Jon and Mark will attend
6-10 December TBG 17 Interim Meeting -
6-10 December TMG Interim Meeting -
The CEFACT Forum will be held in March 2005 possibly

The UBL Plenary could be moved from Nov to Dec 13-17 .

Action: Jon will mail the UBL list to find out if this is feasible.

3. Event reports
14 May Hong Kong meeting. JB felt it went well. Alot of the presentations were recieved with interest. There were presentations with people involved with getting Chinese Gov an HK up to speed with ecommerce. The question was whether the government should be going with
proprietary standards or open standards.  The presentations leaned
toward open standards.

An additional event was the Enterprise Application Integration Conference in Banff. JB did a tutorial on UBl

4. Liaison reports
MC is liaision to ATG. They continue to progress design rules, and will be reviewing the UBL code list document at the upcoming Waldorf meeting, and trying to finalize a CEFACT CCT and unqualified schema modules.

SP is the liaison to UNCEFACT, there is nothing new to report here.

KH is the secretary for SC 34 relaxing compact syntax just went in yesterday for amendment to ISO 190757 Part 2. Schematron will be an ISO standard within months. part 4 is a namespace dispatching language.
Jon will ask the TC to approve ken as the official liaison to SC 34.

Action item: Jon will try to work out the list of liaisons and see if anything new needs to be added.

The Human Interface SC is meeting is at 15:00 UTC on June 3rd. They will start off on a charter, and a list of modifications to the formatting specifications.

KH was congratulated on the creation of the stylesheets. People are interested in one step HTML presentations as opposed to 2 steps. The formatting specs need to be beefed up with test cases.
JB: We are adding input to output. All the work with stylehsheets will need to have some counterpart for input like XFORMS. We have to line up somebody that will do the similar things with XFORMS that Ken has done with stylesheets. The Human Interface SC will draw up a formal input specification.

5. Schedule for November UBL TC meeting
We will propose Dec 13-17 in SFO.

6. Corrections to UBL 1.0 CD (Chee-Kai's list; capitalization in
      definitions)
It was determined that Chee-Kai was correct about there being some errors, however, it is unclear yet if both the spreadsheet and the schemas need to be corrected or just the spreadsheet.
It was pointed out that this has  large ramifications. We are not going to turn around on June 12 at the end of Public Review and declare ourselves done.

SG: We have not got an exact match between spreadsheet and the schemas and that is a weakness. For the model we relied on the change log, not much work goes in to this. We are not sure everything is done in the spreadsheets has been properly reflected in the change log. Somethings might have slipped through.
JB: We have to fix stuff, that is a major fork in the road.
This means that procedurally there is not a whole lot of difference between changing one or many things. We will have to re-vote the CD.
We can change the spreadsheet, that is still enough of a change that we will be required to revote the CD.

JB: We need someone to compile a list of bugs, and other people for proposing bug fixes.

Action items:
Anne Hendry will compile a list of suspected bugs, upload it to
kavi, and post a link to ubl-dev for their information.  We will
review the list during a regular TC call after the close of the
public comment period to determine appropriate actions.
Michael Dill will regenerate the spreadsheet from the existing data model using the EDIFIX tool and provide it to Stephen Green for further editing on Monday June 7th.
Stephen Green will edit the spreadsheets and provide them to Mavis Cournane for diffing on Fri June 11th.
Mavis Cournane will have the results of the diffing ready by June 16th.
This process should help the QA process to see where the spreadsheets depart from each other.
7. Other issue tracking (just identification)
Set up a template for standing agenda items:
deferred

8. Action item tracking (ditto)
deferred

9. Work team reports (just a placeholder)
deferred

10. Appointment of a person to maintain the page for proposed
      additions and approved additions to the 1.0 library and
      doctypes for 1.1
Action item:

Bill Meadows will do this.

11. Phone conference matrix (TBD)
Action Item:
Jon will put this info in one place at a persistent URL.

12. Work plan for CCTS schemas

JB: We have CCTS schemas that are not identical to what OAG is doing, we do have a list of semi-agreements on what needs to be done. The problem is that we have a group in UBL that has certain opinions on how this should go, ditto in OAG and in ATG. As far as I can tell, there is a minority who object to turning this over to ATG to produce a standard set of schemas and OAG and UBL will use it at the next convenient release. But what is the review process for this, we would want to be able to review it publicly the instant they were done in June. The next problem is participation in the ATG and whether there is critical mass. A third problem due to the undecided state of CEFACT IPR policy some companies are having to pull out from participation.
MC: The IP thing is up in the air.
JB: It might be possible for an ad hoc group to come up with a work around for this in terms of reaching alignment between OAG and UBL. I would like to have the input that we currently have as UBL taken in to account at the meeting i.e. what Tim has worked out with Garrett. Garrett is going to be at this meeting in Waldorf.
Conclusion: UBL input previously compiled by Tim in discussions
with Garret will be seriously considered in Walldorf.  UBL will be
invited to review the output from the meeting in Walldorf as soon
as the results have been written up so that UBL can continue to
participate in the process.

The following agenda items were not addressed in today's meeting
and will be carried forward to next week:

   COML proposal from CrimsonLogic

   Proposed additions to Party types (Oriol Bausa)

   Scheduling use case discussions