ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Minutes UBL TC Atlantic call

On 08/04/2004 11:03 AM, Anne Hendry wrote:
> Hi Eduardo,
>
> Jon took an AI to put a finalized proposal to the list between now and
> the Pacific call which would be a summary of your proposal with the
> choice of the ndr option being the reduced description (the first ndr
> option you mentioned).  Mark will take an AI to update the rule(s) -
> there are several sections this would impact.  As i recall, what Jon
> puts out  should contain your examples as well, at least definitely for
> the parts of the URN that we specify values for (specification-id, type,
> sub-type, and document-id), and rfc 3121 will be noted as the definitive
> source for the overal structure, as you proposed.  We did discuss pretty
> much all the aspects you mentioned in your suggestions.  Many of the
> currently implemented schema urns will change as a result.
>
> *** there was an unresolved question as to whether or not there is
> really a need to specify the version for the specification-id, given
> that there is a version for the document-id.   Most on the call felt
> not..  If you could provide your thoughts on this before (or during) the
> Pacific call today that would be great.

It depends -- I would agree that at face falue there is no need to specify
whether document-id CoreComponentParameters1.0 is related to ubl1.0 or ubl2.0
so we should use simply ubl in specification-id. However, if these namespaces
were to be used in the manner in which namespace names are being used almost
uniformly in the industry, that is as pointers at a location where a user
can retrieve the schema whose namespace name this is, then I believe it makes
a lot of sense to specify whether we're talking ubl2.0 rather than ubl1.0, if
nothing more than to facilitate the construction of catalogs for URN resolution.
What can I do? I'm old fashioned, and I think that i's and t's should be
dotted and crossed; but I'm also flexible, and if people believe it's not
needed, so be it.