ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] TBG 17

Dimension is used for a variety of different expressions, length, width (breadth), height(depth), thickness, weight, diameter, etc.  UBL uses it for Measurement Dimension for an Item Identification and as plain Dimension for Transport Equipment.

Dimension. Attribute. Identifier tries to formalise the values for the measurable attribute, or feature, for the dimension.  Whereas, Dimension. Description. Text is purely a descriptive string of text.

i take this to mean that if we wanted to describe shoe sizes, the value of Dimension. Description. Text might be "Foot Length" but Dimension. Attribute. Identifier would have values such as "womens".

i take this to mean that if we wanted to describe jackets, the value of Dimension. Description. Text might be "Chest", "Waist" and "Hips" and the value of Dimension. Measure would be things like "32 Inch" or "61 cms".  However we could also describe jackets using a Dimension. Attribute. Identifier such as "UK Womens" and Dimension. Measure would be "10".

Of course we could call Attribute. Identifier a decription, it is just we thought it would help industry standardization to encourage predictable identifier values whenh specifying dimensions.