ubl message

Subject: Re: UBL: Codelists for UBL 1.1

Dear Marty,

I decided to send this response to the UBL list, since I have some
questions about the 1.0 code list paper that others might have useful
answers to.

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:25:48 EDT, <Burnsmarty@aol.com> wrote:

> Do you think that you capture the abstract model in a schema itself. Or,
> just representing the table of attributes in XML?

My thought was the the 'canonical' representation of a code list would be
a custom XML format for that purpose.  Any amount of that information
could also be embedded in the XML Schema, but I don't see a Schema as
being an appropriate source format.

> If we represent the data model
> in section 3 of the codelist document in schema. Then an instance of the
> table  of 4.5.1 could be constructed in a form and an XSLT could
> translate the
> data set  into the schema. Is this what you had in mind?

Yes, precisely.

> If we are talking about the same thing, then could these be the next
> steps:
> 1) Construct schema for metamodel of code list schema
> 2) Create XSLT that renders a sample code list description in the form
> of a
> table for inclusion in the code list paper.
> 3) Create a transform that generates the code list schema from the xml
> data
> set.
> 4) Construct one or more additional transforms into alternate schema --
> RelaxNG, database (comma delimited text?), etc...
> In addition, we need to resolve in the ubl community the requirements  of
> extensibility.
> What do you think?

Sounds good.  I am currently working on 1), via a paper I am presenting at
XML 2004 (in DC) on 'Why are simple code lists so complex'.  The have put
my talk on right after Jon's UBL talk.  My model is more general than UBL
requires, but I want it to cover other specifications that I am involved
with.

One issue I have though is with the descriptions of the code list metadata
in 'wd-ublclsc-codelist-20040420.pdf'.  They just don't appear to make
sense by themselves as written in this document.  I should have done a
better job of proofreading, but in any case, I find they just don't make
sense to me now.  Specifically, in sections 3.2 & 3.3:

1. Why is there both a 'name' and a 'CodeListName'?  My interpretation of
this table is that it is metadata that applies to the code list as a
whole, not to individual codes, so these two fields would seem to me to be
same.

2. What is the difference between the 'CodeListURI' and the
'CodeListSchemeURI'?  The descriptions are no help at all, although in
section 4 the suggestion in one place is that the former is a URN, while
in another place it seems that the former is a URL pointing to some
downloadable representation/description of the code list.  The latter
seems to be a URI used as a unique identifier for the code list.

3. There is just the one 'LanguageID' for the entire code list.  Does this
means that all human readable information for a code list is in the one
language?  So we need to create multiple code lists just to publish the
same code list with different language descriptions?  I hope not, since
that would certainly be the wrong approach, having multiple identifiers
for the same code list.

4. Why is the preferred namespace prefix an 'ID'?  The last thing you want
a prefix to be is an identifier, since UBL documents should work
regardless of the namespace prefixes that are used.

Also, in 'UBL-SpecializedDatatypes-1.0.sxc', the description of a code
'name' says it can be used on its own if there is no code context, but I
don't know what a 'context' is, and how it applies here (I'm sure somebody
can tell me, though.  :-) ).

Thanks,

	Cheers,
		Tony.
--
Anthony B. Coates
London Market Systems Limited
33 Throgmorton Street, London, EC2N 2BR
http://www.londonmarketsystems.com/
mailto:abcoates@londonmarketsystems.com
Mobile/Cell: +44 (79) 0543 9026
[MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language), http://www.mddl.org/]
[FpML Arch WG Member (Financial Products Markup Language),
http://www.fpml.org/]
This Email may contain confidential information and/or copyright material
and is intended for the use of the addressee only.
Any unauthorised use may be unlawful. If you receive this Email by mistake
please advise the sender immediately by using the reply  facility in your
e-mail software.
Email is not a secure method of communication and London Market Systems
Limited cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of
this message or any attachment(s). Please examine this email for virus
infection, for which London Market Systems Limited accepts no
responsibility. If verification of this email is sought then please
London Market Systems Limited.