ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] about the relation with CCTS

I am not sure we would call it a simplification, but you are correct UBL
only defines BIEs not CCs.

Core Components are abstract (syntax-independent) definitions that take
physical form as BIEs.  So we can have a CC for Address that is
expressed as a BIE called Address in UBL and a BIE called Location in
another syntax or another vocabulary.  BIEs share the same basic meaning
as their orginal Core Component but have been contextualized to be used
in specific circumstances.

The problem with this approach is that UBL started before any Core
Components had been defined by the ebXML Core Components group.  UBL
assumed that behind each of our BIEs would be a CC of some kind.  But it
was not our role to define these.

Unfortunately it has taken UN/CEFACT some time to re-organize its
activities and only recently did the UN/CEFACT's TBG17 (the inheritors
of the ebXML CC task) announce their first 21 draft CCs. We submitted
our BIEs to TBG17 as "candidate core components" and are now working
through the process of how we align our submission to be more TBG17
friendly.

So the short answer is, UBL does not (and should not) define CCs - the
world only needs one of these and the UN seems the best place to do this.