ubl message

Subject: UBL TC meeting 1-5 November 2004 in Santa Clara

Hello UBL TC,

As stated earlier, our TC meeting November 1-5 will take place at
Sun's campus in Santa Clara, California, near San Jose.  Here are
some meeting details to aid you in planning.

HOTELS

   Since I am more or less local to Santa Clara (I live about 50
   miles north in Berkeley), I don't have any useful personal
   information regarding hotels.  Here is a list of the hotels
   that our SunU people recommend for people taking courses at the
   Santa Clara facility:

      Biltmore Hotel
      http://www.hotelbiltmore.com/
      2151 Laurelwood Road
      Santa Clara, CA 95054
      408-988-8411

      Embassy Suites
      http://www.embassysuites.com/
      2885 Lakeside Drive
      Santa Clara, CA 95054
      408-496-6400

      Four Points By Sheraton
      http://www.fourpointssvl.com/
      1250 Lakeside Drive
      Sunnyvale, CA 94086
      408-738-4888

      Residence Inn by Marriott - Silicon Valley 1
      http://www.marriott.com/sfosn
      750 Lakeway Drive
      Sunnyvale, CA 94085
      408-720-1000

      The Westin
      http://www.westin.com/
      5101 Great America Parkway
      Santa Clara, CA 95054
      408-986-0700

   One of our managers who works in Burlington (near Boston) but
   visits Santa Clara frequently recommends this inexpensive
   alternative:

      Homestead Suites Sunnyvale/Santa Clara
      http://www.homesteadhotels.com/minisite/default.asp?hotelCode=suv
      1255 Orleans Drive
      Sunnyvale, CA  94089
      408-734-3431

   His rating is "not a top hotel by any means, but comfortable."
   It's not as close as the others, but since you will need to
   rent a car anyway, this probably isn't important.

   An extensive list of area hotels put together by the Santa
   Clara Convention and Visitors Bureau can be found at

      http://santaclara.travelhero.com/index.cfm/state/CA/city/SANTA_CLARA/aid/416/index.html

MAPS

   Attached are a map of Sun locations in the San Francisco Bay
   area (bayarea.pdf) and a map of the Santa Clara campus with
   directions (sca.pdf).  The TC plenaries will be held in the
   Meeting Room above the Agnews Historic Auditorium; this is the
   building shown as SCA03 on the Santa Clara map.  The breakouts
   will be held in The Library at The Mansion; this is the
   building shown as SCA07 on the Santa Clara map.

AIRPORTS

   As shown on the Bay Area map, the Santa Clara campus (SCA) is
   much closer to the San Jose Airport (SJC) than it is to the San
   Francisco Airport (SFO).  But since you will have to rent a car
   anyway, this difference is not as important as the fact that
   SFO has more nonstop connections while SJC is often less
   expensive.  Generally speaking, SFO is a better choice for
   international flights, and SJC is a better choice for flights
   originating in the U.S., but you should check both sets of
   alternatives before deciding which one to use.

   It is also possible to use the Oakland Airport (OAK), which is
   mysteriously omitted from the Bay Area map but is located
   roughly across the bay from SFO.  Since OAK is as far away from
   the meeting as SFO but has as few connections as SJC, it is
   generally not a good choice for Santa Clara, but it might be
   worth checking for bargains.

DIRECTIONS

   Better directions than the ones on the Santa Clara map can be
   found in Eve Maler's notice to a SAML meeting last year
   (thanks, Eve!); I've copied them here:

      Sun Microsystems Campus
      Santa Clara (SCA), CA 95054

      "The Auditorium"   SCA03   4030 Palm Drive
      "The Mansion"      SCA07   4070 George Sellon Circle

      Because the campus is new it is not on many internet map
      searches yet.  We are located on the old Agnews
      Developmental Center campus (Lafayette St. / Montague
      Expressway / Agnew Drive) that still shows on some maps.
      Also, there is apparently a "Palm Drive" down south of 101
      in Santa Clara proper -- don't get confused! The Sun SCA
      campus is NORTH of 101.  It looks like MapQuest is correctly
      pinpointing the SCA03 Auditorium...

         http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?country=US&addtohistory=&address=4030+Palm+Drive&city=santa+clara&state=ca&zipcode=95054&homesubmit=Get+Map

      Directions from San Francisco Airport, SFO (35-90 minutes
      depending on traffic and time of day):

         Take 101 south, approx 23 miles.  Exit at San
         Tomas/Montague Expressway and follow exit signage for
         Montague Expressway which will have you looping up and
         back over 101 on Montague. Follow Montague approx 1/2
         mile (go straight through one traffic signal). Montague
         will go up a slight hill. At top of rise, exit right down
         descending exit ramp to Lafayette Street. Turn right onto
         Lafayette street, go under Montague and straight thru
         first traffic signal.  Take right at second signal into
         the campus at Palm Drive and follow the signs to the
         Auditorium SCA03 / Mansion SCA07.  [Note from the SunU
         staff: "Resist the temptation to go faster than the
         posted speed of 40 mph. Police with radar regularly
         patrol this stretch of road!"]

      Directions from San Jose Airport, SJC (10-20 minutes):

         From the airport terminals follow the signs to Guadalupe
         Parkway north to Freeway 101 north. approx 1.6 miles Exit
         San Tomas/Montague Expressway and bear right to merge
         onto Montague Expressway.  Follow Montague approx 1/2
         mile (go straight through one traffic signal). Montague
         will go up a slight hill. At top of rise, exit right down
         descending exit ramp to Lafayette Street. Turn right onto
         Lafayette street [see warning above], go under Montague
         and straight thru first traffic signal.  Take right at
         second signal into the campus at Palm Drive and follow
         the signs to the Auditorium SCA03 / Mansion SCA07.

      from Oakland Airport, OAK (45-60 minutes):

         From the Airport terminal follow the signs to I-880
         [Nimitz Fwy] South approx 27 miles.  Exit at Montague
         Expressway [South-West] continue approx 3 miles. Turn
         left on Agnews (DeLaCruz is to the right), a new Safeway
         and gentrified strip mall is on the corner. Turn Left
         into the campus and follow the signs around to the other
         side of the campus to Palm Drive and Auditorium SCA03 /
         Mansion SCA07.

MEALS

   Coffee service will be provided each morning, but for lunch we
   will carpool around the campus to the "gentrified strip mall"
   referred to in Eve's directions above.

AGENDA

   As usual, the meeting agenda will be provided a week or two
   prior to the event.

REGISTRATION

   I need to know who's coming so that I can make security
   arrangements.  Please send me mail (off the list) to let me
   know whether to expect you.  As always, observers are welcome
   if notice is given in advance.

Jon Bosak
Chair, OASIS UBL TC

bayarea.pdf