ubl message

Subject: RE: [ubl] urgent ndr rules question/clarification

At 2005-02-25 06:46 -0800, Sylvia Webb wrote:
>the requirements of our customers who prefer
>to use the real modeling features of EDIFIX and not spreadsheets.

It might be unfair to characterize the use of spreadsheets as "not a real
modeling methodology" ... I have long held up the UBL collaboration
technique of the use of spreadsheets as a tremendous democratizing and
community-encompassing methodology.

Consider my experience in other deployments unrelated to UBL:

As an independent consultant it pains me to hear communities of users blame
my peers for engineering a solution in which the consultant is the
indispensable wizard who is the only one who understands the opacity of W3C
Schema (notwithstanding my efforts to proselytize the transparency of
RELAX-NG).

Schema expression aside, even though RELAX-NG is easier than W3C Schema,
many communities of users have had far longer experience with office
productivity tools than with schema expression languages.

In future opportunities I will be sure to try to convince such communities
that automating the transliteration of an office productivity tool output
into normative schema expressions will democratize the process and allow
subject matter experts to participate in the process with more of a feeling
of understanding, that I anticipate would lead to more of a feeling of
ownership and commitment to the final result, regardless of how the final
result is expressed normatively.

This is missing when focusing on the stuff of wizards.

And I will continue to use UBL as an example of such a successful deployment.

Male Breast Cancer Awareness  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc