ubl message

Subject: Minutes of Atlantic UBL TC call 8 June 2005

MINUTES OF ATLANTIC UBL TC MEETING
15H00 - 17H00 UTC WEDNESDAY 8 JUNE 2005

ATTENDANCE

   Jon Bosak (chair)
   Mikkel Brun
   Mavis Cournane
   Stephen Green
   Mike Grimley
   Anne Hendry

ADMINISTRIVIA

   Updated phone matrix (http://ibiblio.org/bosak/ubl/phones.sxc)

   We will skip the Atlantic meeting 6 July as well as the Pacific
   meeting 4|5 July.  The Eurasia call 6 July will take place as
   usual [but we will call this a "work session" for attendance
   purposes -- see separate message to follow].

   The NDR editors will skip their Monday call 13 June but will
   meet Wednesday 15 June before the Atlantic TC meeting.

STANDING ITEMS

   Additions to the calendar (http://ibiblio.org/bosak/ubl/calendar.htm)

      None.

   Liaison reports

      None.

   Subcommittee reports

      No adds to reports in Pacific call.

   Team reports

      None.

   Review of Pacific and Europe/Asia calls

      MavisC: DTTN has agreed to review the Code List proposal.

      JonB: We will expect input from DTTN through ThomasL.

      MavisC: Also note that MikkelB has found a resource to look
      at the Customization guidelines.

      MikkelB: We think we'll have a proposal to review on the TC
      list in two weeks.

ACTION ITEM REVIEW

   ACTION: JonB to review recent TC call attendance and change the
   status of members not attending 2/3 of the meetings from
   "voting" to "nonvoting."

   after today's meeting.

   ACTION: MikkelB to check to see whether PeterB can fill the
   position of UBL liaison to TBG17 and report back on this 8
   June.

   MikkelB: PeterB is busy with other UBL work and will not be
   available for this.

   ACTION: JonB to ask for a volunteer to serve as liaison to
   TBG17.

NDR WORK SESSION

   MavisC and MikeG had their first NDR editors call today and
   worked through a number of issues that were reviewed during the
   TC meeting.  The following summarizes the documents currently
   in play and the decisions reached in the meeting.

Changes to the NDR draft

   At the TC meeting in January, the NDR editors together with
   people attending the meeting worked through all the NDR issues
   outstanding at the time and incorporated them into a new NDR
   draft.  The changes made then are documented in this change
   log:

      http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ubl/download.php/13007/ChangeLog%2006-06-05.txt

   The document that resulted from the changes made in January can
   be found here:

      http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ubl/download.php/12998/NDR-06-06-05.pdf

   AGREED that we accept the changes embodied in this January NDR
   draft unless we hear otherwise by the time of the Atlantic TC
   call next week.

   In their first work session today, the NDR editors made the
   changes recorded in the log at

      http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ubl/download.php/13005/ChangeLog%202005-06-08.TXT

   Summary of the changes:

   (1) Two NDRs (ELD2 and CDT2) have been modified to implement
       the decision to make all elements global.  It appears
       unnecessary to make any changes to the surrounding language.

   (2) In section 3.1.2, a new rule, ELD10, has been added to
       address an issue raised by StephenG in his message dated 25
       April 2005.  We note that we may not yet have achieved
       complete agreement whether all elements in specific
       documents are suitable for Reusable, so this may have to be
       revisited further on.

   A revised draft of the NDR document that incorporates these
   latest changes can be found at

      http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ubl/download.php/13004/NDR-2005-06-08.pdf

   AGREED that while we may need to revisit the second item above
   at some time in the future, we will send the changes made so
   far to DavidK for implementation unless we hear an objection
   before next week's Atlantic TC call.  (The idea here is to take
   advantage of DavidK's current availability so that we get in as
   many of the changes we seem to agree on as we can before he
   goes on vacation.)

Code List review

   MikeG and MavisC reviewed the April Code List proposal and
   reported their findings as follows:

    - Skipped consideration of substitution groups and abstract
      types, as these have been identified as issues we need to
      discuss in July.  Will review the xml-dev thread on this

    - We need to look at the issue of namespace naming conventions
      for external code lists and make it explicit that we are not
      expecting our NDR rules for namespaces to apply to them.  We
      may be adopting ATG2 code list schemas that are integrated
      with their data type schemas.

    - Comments on the Example code list document (1.5.7)

      [I couldn't relate MikeG's comments at this point to the
      line numbers in the file provided by MartyB as
      wd-ublclsc-codelistReqs-20050405a.doc -- hence the delay in
      preparing these minutes.  After a couple of days of
      discussion, Mike and I still couldn't put this together; I
      suspect that we're seeing the effect of differences in the
      way that his environment and mine are set up to deal with
      the display of embedded comments and hyperlinks.  I think
      we're going to have to make it a requirement that documents
      with line numbers be posted only in PDF so that we don't run
      into this problem again (I can generate the PDF from
      proprietary formats if necessary, and of course anyone using
      openoffice can generate PDF directly from the application).
      Mike kindly provided his comments by email; I reproduce them
      here in the hope that line numbers are close enough to
      enable Marty to relate the comments to the relevant passages
      in his copy:

      In section 1.5.7 'Example code list document' there is, as
      one might suspect, an example of a Code List schema:

      Comment 1 (Line 597)- On line two of the example is the
      namespace declaration
      'xmlns:gcl="http://xml.genericode.org/2004/ns/CodeList/0.2/";'. This
      raised the question of whether we should explicitly state in
      the NDR that non-UBL code lists need not conform to our
      namespace naming conventions. Obviously, other
      agencies/organizations/companies may have their own
      conventions that must be adhered to.

      Comment 2 (Line 626) - Around Line 29 there is an element
      named "Value" which has an attribute named "ColumnRef" which
      conveys non-supplementary component information. This breaks
      rule [ATD1]. This also breaks rule [GNR4] which prohibits
      abbreviations/truncations (i.e. 'Ref' vice 'Reference') and
      rule [GNR9] which requires lowerCamelCase naming of
      attributes. In general, we need to decide which of our rules
      external code lists must comply with or, put another way,
      where Code Lists will be allowed as exceptions to the
      rule. (In this particular case, if the 'ColumnRef' attribute
      could be changed to a 'ColumnReference' element it would be
      fine.)

      Comment 3 (Line 651) - Around 25 lines after the previous
      comment target there is an 'AppInfo' section within the
      'Annotation' section. It could just be a typo; however, just
      noting that it breaks rule [GXS12]

      In section 4.1 'Data Model Mapping':

      Comment 4 (Line 1040+) - Item 1. declares use of an
      'Abstract' element. We should probably create a rule
      clarifying our stance on the xsd:abstract construct. It was
      mentioned on the call that this discussion will be tied to
      the 'Substitution Group' discussion(s).]

   AGREED that we will include a discussion of abstract elements
   and element types in our discussion of substitution groups.

   StephenG: Regarding supplementary components, a question for
   MartyB: Could the attribute ColumnRef on the Value element be
   implemented as an element instead? This would avoid breaking
   NDR ATD1.  If not, we will have to make an exception for code
   lists.

   MavisG: Next steps for NDR team will be to get MarkC's input on
   the codelist stuff, then resolve the substitution group issue
   in July.  We hope to have the results of the UBL/eDocs
   feasibility study by next week's call.  Looks like we're on
   schedule.

NEXT WEEK

   Sign off NDR changes noted above so that they can be
   transmitted to DavidK for implementation.

Jon