ubl message

Subject: Minutes of Atlantic UBL TC call 15 June 2005

MINUTES OF ATLANTIC UBL TC MEETING
15H00 - 17H00 UTC WEDNESDAY 15 JUNE 2005
   08h00 - 10h00 Wed San Francisco
   11h00 - 13h00 Wed Washington
   16h00 - 18h00 Wed London
   STANDING INFORMATION FOR UBL CONFERENCE CALLS
   U.S. domestic toll-free number: (866)839-8145
   Int. access/caller paid number: (865)524-6352
   Access code: 5705229

ATTENDANCE

   Jon Bosak (chair)
   Peter Borresen
   Mikkel Brun
   Marty Burns
   Mavis Cournane
   Stephen Green
   Anne Hendry
   Zarella Rendon
   Paul Thorpe
   Sylvia Webb

STANDING ITEMS

   Additions to the calendar (http://ibiblio.org/bosak/ubl/calendar.htm)

      CEN/ISSS e-invoicing workshop in Geneva 6/27 -- MikkelB will attend.

   Liaison report: OASIS ebBP TC

      StephenG: The ebBP TC invites the UBL TC to review and
      comment on ebXML BPSS 2.0.1:

         http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/documents.php?wg_abbrev=ebxml-bp

      BrianR is requesting the addition of Schematron as a schema
      type in BPSS; this would fit the use of Schematron in
      implementing the UBL SBS.

   Subcommittee reports

      See minutes of this week's Pacific call.

   Team report: European input

      PeterB: There will be a meeting Monday and Tuesday hosted by
      OGC in London to discuss the extended procurement process
      and finalize the list of documents.

   Team report: Code list

      JonB: MikeG has submitted comments; see minutes of last
      week's Atlantic call.

      AGREED that we will publish line-numbered UBL documents in
      PDF format so that we don't experience problems referencing
      line numbers when commenting.

      MartyB: There were actually two documents, one from MartyB
      and one from TonyC; we disagree on certain points.  Tony
      wants two models, one for UBL and one generic; Marty wants
      just one.  See the email excerpts included with the package
      sent to the list 4/25.  The CL team needs guidance from the
      TC on this.

      ACTION: TC to review the discussion between Marty and Tony
      in the package posted by Marty 4/25; this issue to be put on
      the agenda for next week's Atlantic call.

      ACTION: MavisC to "review the xml-dev thread regarding
      redefine as an alternative to substitution groups and then
      contact Henry Thompson for clarification (MartyB could not
      get Henry's suggestion to work)." [From minutes of the June
      1 Atlantic call]

      ACTION: MartyB to contact MavisC offline to arrange
      participation in next week's NDR editors conference call.

   Review of Pacific and Europe/Asia calls

      No comments on this week's Pacific minutes.  This week's
      Eurasia minutes were not yet available at the time of the
      call.

CATALOG CONTENT PROPOSAL

   MikkelB: There is strong European interest in developing a
   Catalog document.  Denmark needs to produce a Catalog standard
   this year and wants to include it in UBL 2.0.  ITST will employ
   TimM to help with this work and has offered to sponsor the
   development in UBL if the TC accepts it.  Two F2F workshops
   would be held to create Catalog, the first in mid-August to
   consolidate business requirements and scope the output, and the
   second in mid-October to focus on modeling and content.  It
   would be advantageous to everyone if catalog could come as part
   of an OASIS standards and not as a proprietary Danish
   initiative.  ITST is willing to cooperate fully with the UBL TC
   in making this happen.

   JonB: Catalog is a very important document, and it would be
   good to include it in UBL 2.0; the primary concern is whether
   this can be done without negatively affecting the 2.0 delivery
   schedule.  A preliminary look at the schedule in progress
   (draft due out later this week) indicates that this is
   possible, but we cannot put this content on the critical path
   for 2.0 release.

   AGREED: We like the idea of including Catalog in UBL 2.0 and
   approve ITST's plan to proceed with the workshops.  We will
   include Catalog in UBL 2.0 if we can do so without slipping the
   schedule.

ACTION ITEM REVIEW

   ACTION: JonB to ask for a volunteer to serve as liaison to
   TBG17.

   JonB: Note that StigK is the liaison from TBG17 to UBL; this is
   about a liaison from UBL to TBG17.

   StephenG: Under the impression that people involved in the
   TBG17 work cannot also represent UBL.

   SylviaW: Not so; see new process description on the TBG17 site.

   StephenG: Then we should try to get a current TBG17 member,
   SueP for example, to participate in UBL as a liaison.

SCHEDULING POLICY DECISIONS

   JonB: The schedule in progress needs to include resolution of
   some major policy issues.  I see three: Reusable architecture;
   substitution groups; code lists.

   Reusable: Saito-san has shown implementation of the proposal
   from Hangzhou; we need to review and discuss this.

   Substitution groups: MavisC needs to complete her AI [see
   above] and suggest a course of action.

   StephenG: We need to add two other issues. (1) DavidK/SSC need
   to know whether we will be using ATG2 data type schemas in 2.0.
   (2) There is the question of whether we are deferring all
   consideration of minor versioning until after the major
   release.

   MavisC: Before we create the major release, we want to know if
   the minor versioning strategy will work.

   JonB: But what we found out in 1.0 is that we can't know
   whether we have the right methodology for minor versioning
   until we try to create the minor version.  We decided earlier
   that we wouldn't put the minor versioning strategy on the
   critical path for 2.0.

   StephenG: The strategy depends on whether we use substitution
   groups.

   MavisC: As with the customization strategy.

   ACTION: JonB to work minor versioning and customization into
   the draft schedule.

NDR WORK SESSION

   We need to sign off on the changes proposed for the next round
   of schema programming:

      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200506/msg00033.html

   SylviaW: If we can get the schema changes in by next week, we
   should be able to meet the schedule.

   ACTION: NDR editors to discuss DavidK's comments on the
   proposed changes and respond on the list with a spreadsheet
   that has their responses to his comments; TC to review the
   proposed changes together with both sets of comments and be
   prepared to give final approval in next week's Atlantic call.
   NOTE THAT ALL INPUT ON THIS HAS TO BE RECEIVED IN TIME TO BE
   DISCUSSED IN NEXT WEEK'S CALL.

   SylviaW: The checklist at the end of the current NDR draft
   still contains some older versions of the rules; maybe it would
   be best to remove the checklist till all of the changes have
   been made to the main document.

   ACTION: NDR editors to discuss the state of the NDR checklist.

SBSC SUBMISSION

   The SBS package has been submitted by the SBSC:

      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200506/msg00034.html

   AGREED that we will proceed with this on a "no objections"
   basis, i.e., we will trust that the SBSC is doing the right
   thing and rely on interested TC members to tell us if something
   needs changing.

   ACTION: TC to review the package over the next two weeks, with
   all comments back to the SBSC by 4 July.

   ACTION: JonB to review the current TC process and determine
   whether the SBS should be moved forward as a Committee Draft or
   a Committee Specification, the primary requirement being for a
   persistent URL.

ACTIONS THAT GOT AWAY

   For some reason, these AIs from the Atlantic call 1 June
   escaped tracking; they are recorded here so that we can review
   them next week.

   ACTION: MavisC to send input to MarkC for ATG (see item #6 in
   the minutes of the 1 June Eurasia call).

   ACTION: JonB to generate a detailed timeline for UBL 2.0.