ubl message

Subject: UBL 2.0 schedule

Hello UBL TC,

Attached you will find the first draft of a schedule for UBL 2.0.
Please review and be ready to discuss in this week's TC meetings.

Note the following:

 - The attachment is a zip file that's been renamed with a "zzz"
   extension to smuggle it past email filters.  The zip file
   contains both the openoffice spreadsheet I'm actually working
   with, which can be read using free OASIS Standard software from
   openoffice.org, and an Excel version of the same file
   (generated by openoffice) for the benefit of those who prefer
   to pay through the nose for proprietary software.

 - The basic organizing principle on which this schedule is based
   is the division of the content deliverables into two phases.
   Phase one includes the original UBL 1.0 order-to-invoice
   documents plus the three (or so) new pre-order documents and
   the three (or so) new post-invoice documents needed to satisfy
   European e-procurement and taxation requirements. The specific
   document types to be added in phase one to implement what we've
   been calling the "extended process model" are expected to be
   agreed on by the end of the coming week.  Phase two adds trade
   documents developed with the help of our members in Hong Kong
   and catalog documents developed with the help of our members in
   Denmark.  These additions are considered highly desirable for
   UBL 2.0 but will be included in the UBL 2.0 release only if we
   can do so without slipping the delivery schedule.

 - Each column in the spreadsheet stands for one week.  The dates
   used for column headers are simply the Mondays that begin each
   week and do not necessarily set the specific day in the week on
   which a given milestone is expected to be met.

 - Green indicates F2F TC meetings.  The ones listed for 2006 are
   just placeholders that I've inserted at what seem to be logical
   intervals in the schedule, but we need to consider these dates
   in light of other events and the general availability of
   participants before we can consider them set.  Please take a
   look at these dates and let us know if you see any conflicts.

 - Yellow indicates weeks in which the TC is idle due to travel or
   holidays.  Work is assumed to continue in tracks that do not
   require direct TC participation.

 - A lot of this still needs to be filled out.  In particular, I
   have not yet attempted to schedule tasks in the Semantic
   Harmonization and SBS tracks, and a lot of details need to be
   supplied for the Human Interface tracks.  I am relying on our
   subcommittees and ad hoc teams to work backwards from the major
   milestones and complete these rows in the schedule.

Jon

sked0618.zzz