ubl message

Subject: Substitution groups for customising code lists

Jon asked me to send this to the list.

 ------- Forwarded message -------
From: abcoates@londonmarketsystems.com
To: jon.bosak@sun.com, Burnsmarty@aol.com
Subject: Re: Tomorrow's discussion of code lists
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:02:28 +0100

Jon, Marty, I'm at the CSW XML Summer School in Oxford, and phone
difficulties mean I won't be able to phone in today.  I'll leave technical
details to Marty, but I had a look over the weekend at the issue of
providing "hooks" for substitution groups for code lists, and I came to the
following conclusion:

Supporting substitution groups as a mechanism for customising UBL code lists
means that UBL will have to *passively contain* substitution group
definitions, one for each code list.  However, it is important to understand
that the UBL Schemas will not *actively use* substitution groups, that they
will only passively contain them.  What that means is that the UBL Schemas
will contain substitution group definitions in a way which *does not change*
the way documents are validated by the UBL Schemas.

I believe this is an acceptable compromise.  The one negative aspect to this
is that the UBL Schemas will require XML Schema validators to behave
consistently when faced with this trivial passive usage of substitution
groups.  Although we haven't tested this yet, I believe we will have no
trouble testing this as part of our normal testing, and I think the risks
are minimal.  That said, we need to finalise that actual proposed code list
Schema structure and test it ASAP, to give people confidence.

Cheers, Tony.

--
Anthony B. Coates
London Market Systems Limited
33 Throgmorton Street, London, EC2N 2BR, UK
http://www.londonmarketsystems.com/
mailto:abcoates@londonmarketsystems.com
Mobile/Cell: +44 (79) 0543 9026
[MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language), http://www.mddl.org/]
[FpML Arch WG Member (Financial Products Markup Language),
http://www.fpml.org/]
This Email may contain confidential information and/or copyright material
and is intended for the use of the addressee only.  Any unauthorised use may
be unlawful. If you receive this Email by mistake please advise the sender
immediately by using the reply  facility in your e-mail software.  Email is
not a secure method of communication and London Market Systems Limited
cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this
message or any attachment(s). Please examine this email for virus infection,
for which London Market Systems Limited accepts no responsibility. If
verification of this email is sought then please request a hard copy. Unless
otherwise stated any views or opinions presented are solely those of the
author and do not represent those of London Market Systems Limited.