ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Transition Statement

Stig,

I just wanted to add for your consideration the following:

I agree with you that open use of content standards can be at odds with standards development organizations (SDO) publishing policies. I also agree that the SDO process, because it is fair and open, can also be tedious and time consuming making "keeping up with the times" difficult.

1) That being said, there is a great deal of activity in ANSI, ASHRAE in North America, and, in IEC for the recognition that content standards in the form of XMLSchema, for example, need to handled in a new way.

I have been directly involved in ANSI C12.19, a communications data model for electricity metering. In that effort, the standards group provided that while the standards document itself would be constrained by the conventional copyright means, the data model in the form of schema would be restricted only by copyright for the purpose of configuration management and version, and without economic strings.

I am aware of similar activities in ASHRAE (American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers). ASHRAE is an SDO under the umbrella of ANSI on behalf of SDOs in the United States.

2) The fact change is not frequent with SDOs provides a key rationale for such content standards to have a very explicit plan for change management -- this includes versioning, and, importantly user extensibility.

Versioning is of course essential to know what you actually have. Extensibility serves two purposes -- allowing the marketplace to accommodate change gracefully through collaborative but explicit extensions; and; providing a robust environment to discover valuable candidates for standardized extensions in future versions of the standard.

Cheers,
Marty

? burnsmarty@aol.com '  +1(301(315-9101È+1(301)257-9101