ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Code list schema

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 02:34:11 +0100, <jon.bosak@sun.com> wrote:

> Tony Coates has copied us on his 2004 proposal:
>
>    http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200508/msg00062.html

> I'd like to use the whole schema because it would suit a broad
> range of adopter needs, but I'm worried about our ability to
> construct the XSLT transform from code list instances to
> Schematron assertions, which we've committed to do for UBL 2.0.
> So, two questions:
>
>  - Is it possible to define a simpler schema for use in UBL,
>    instances of which would also validate against the full schema
>    proposed by Tony?
>
>  - Or should we adopt the entire proposed schema but limit our own
>    tools and instances entirely to a subset?

I would suggest that for the moment, UBL should just use the "simple code
list" facilities of the format, and avoid the "derived code list"
facilities.  That is to say, take the whole Schema, but use only what is
required.  I'm keen for UBL & FpML to be using the same code list Schema,
rather than each using a different version, if possible.

> I don't actually like the effect of either of these two
> alternatives on our ability to reference arbitrary compliant
> external code lists.  Would it really be as hard to develop an
> XSLT transform for the general case as I'm fearing?

For simple code lists, we won't have any problems whipping up some XSLT.
However, are we at agreement yet about what we want UBL code list schemas
(W3C XML Schema and/or Schematron) to look like?  We need will need
agreement on that, and then Marty's input on the W3C XML Schema format,
and Ken Holman's input on the Schematron format.

For derived code lists, it may be possible to do something using XSLT 2.0,
but in all honesty, it may be that I need to write something in
Java/C#/etc. to do it.  I haven't fully examined yet what processing needs
to be done, and what will be the easiest thing to write it in.  However,
derived code lists aren't needed immediately, so I think this question can
wait a bit.

Cheers, Tony.
--
Anthony B. Coates
London Market Systems Limited
33 Throgmorton Street, London, EC2N 2BR, UK
http://www.londonmarketsystems.com/
mailto:abcoates@londonmarketsystems.com
Mobile/Cell: +44 (79) 0543 9026
[MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language), http://www.mddl.org/]
[FpML Arch WG Member (Financial Products Markup Language),
http://www.fpml.org/]
This Email may contain confidential information and/or copyright material
and is intended for the use of the addressee only.  Any unauthorised use
may be unlawful. If you receive this Email by mistake please advise the
sender immediately by using the reply  facility in your e-mail software.
Email is not a secure method of communication and London Market Systems
Limited cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of
this message or any attachment(s). Please examine this email for virus
infection, for which London Market Systems Limited accepts no
responsibility. If verification of this email is sought then please
London Market Systems Limited.