ubl message

Subject: RE: [ubl] Creating Qualified Data Types - spreadsheet, EDIFIX and Schema

Tim,

With all due respect, there have been problems with the quality of data in
the Excel spreadsheets from the beginning of efforts to build UBL 2.0.
Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but I also remember that Michael picked
about 200 technical problems from the draft spreadsheets for UBL 1.0.

To date, none of the issues are related to anything that is unique to
EDIFIX.

You wrote books about modeling and UBL. As such you are an expert and as a
consultant you will easily understand the following conceptual issues:

First,

A. UBL adopted the ATG2 XSD schema for unqualified data types.
B. UBL defines itself by following a modeling approach, which uses
spreadsheets.
C. UBL defines a informative set of model spreadsheets which have to be
complete and have to include a spreadsheet for the unspecialized CCTS data
types as UBL wants to use them. Otherwise UBL delivers an incomplete
spreadsheet based model.

Second,
A. The ATG2 unqualified XSD schema CANNOT be auto generated from unqualified
data types as of CCTS 2.01, because they are restricting unqualified data
types as of CCTS 2.01.
B. Qualified CCTS data types are based on the unqualified CCTS data types.
If UBL members want to develop qualified CCTS data types, even in a
spreadsheet, they have to know how the restrictive (compared with CCTS 2.01)
unqualified data types for UBL/ATG2 look like. Otherwise, they could start
to define qualified CCTS data types and to specify supplementary components,
which do not appear in an ATG2 compliant XSD schema for an unqualified data
type.

As I recall you and others had very strong opinions about using spreadsheets
and not other approaches presented to the TC that would minimize these
problems.  IMHO, it is time for everyone who feels so strongly about using
spreadsheets as the master technique for UBL data to step up to the plate
and help create correct spreadsheets that EDIFIX can import to create the
UBL 2.0 data models.

To create UBL data models and schema, EDIFIX needs spreadsheets that are
conformant to ATG2 uDT, CCTS and UBL NDR. EDIFIX has no other special
requirements.

Best regards,
Sylvia