ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Draft 2.0 Schemas with Currency Codes edited to unions

Marty, I'm afraid I don't agree with you that this is a good compromise.
I understand that you have a solution that supports some of our goals.
However, and this is a big point:

----
What is the value of a Schema enumeration that doesn't provide any
validation of instance document values against the enumerated values?
----

As you pointed out, it gives you pop-ups for enumeration values in XML Spy
(and perhaps in some other XML editors too), but I don't see that as a
major requirement or use case.  In fact, I think people would be
scratching their heads about why we would publish enumerated Schema types
that don't perform validation.

If we aren't going to validate the values, let's just leave the values out
of the Schema.  If we have enumerated values in the Schema, let's make
sure that can be used for validation.  I know that the various constraints
that we have picked up are making it difficult to find a workable
solution, but I want to suggest that the guidelines in this paragraph are
ones we have to follow so that we end up with something that the rest of
the world will consider to be sensible.

Fair comment, or not?

Cheers, Tony.

--
Anthony B. Coates
London Market Systems Limited
33 Throgmorton Street, London, EC2N 2BR, UK
http://www.londonmarketsystems.com/
mailto:abcoates@londonmarketsystems.com
Mobile/Cell: +44 (79) 0543 9026
[MDDL Editor (Market Data Definition Language), http://www.mddl.org/]
[FpML Arch WG Member (Financial Products Markup Language),
http://www.fpml.org/]
This Email may contain confidential information and/or copyright material
and is intended for the use of the addressee only.  Any unauthorised use
may be unlawful. If you receive this Email by mistake please advise the
sender immediately by using the reply  facility in your e-mail software.
Email is not a secure method of communication and London Market Systems
Limited cannot accept responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of
this message or any attachment(s). Please examine this email for virus
infection, for which London Market Systems Limited accepts no
responsibility. If verification of this email is sought then please
London Market Systems Limited.