ubl message

Subject: Ballot: UBL 2.0 Committee Draft for public review

Hello UBL TC,

This message is to announce the start of balloting UBL 2.0 as an
OASIS Committee Draft.  Please read the following for an
explanation of what this means and where we are in the overall
process.

Balloting opens at 1 p.m. New York time Sunday 8 January 2006 and
closes at 1 p.m. New York time Sunday 15 January 2006.  Since
quick approval would be advantageous to our release schedule, I
urge you to log in now to the UBL TC site and click on "Ballots"
to record your vote.  DO NOT use the UBL mailing list for voting;
use the web site.  Note that you will need to log in using your
OASIS password in order to vote.

DOCUMENT LOCATION

The most recent version of the candidate UBL 2.0 CD is available
to members of the TC at

   http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ubl/download.php/16110/wd-UBL-2.0.zip

Note that this file is visible only to members of the UBL TC.

RECENT CHANGES

The draft located at the URL above (with index.html file dated 8
January 2006) differs from the 4 January build chiefly in (a) the
addition of a disclaimer warning people that the current draft is
not yet ready for implementation and (b) the designation of your
chair and vice chair (myself and Tim McGrath) as "editors."  We
couldn't figure out a better way of assigning public
responsibility for the package assembly and index.html prose.  If
anyone thinks that this is a bad idea, let us know and we'll
discuss it during this week's TC calls; changing it could be
easily done if we decided on an alternative, since this would fall
into the category of "editorial" work authorized by the text of
the ballot resolution given further down in this message.

PURPOSE

It's important to be clear on the significance of this ballot.
People who were with the project during UBL 1.0 development may
experience confusion over the meaning of the term Committee Draft,
which means something different now than it did when we voted UBL
1.0 as a Committee Draft back in 2004.

In the OASIS process in effect during 1.0 development, a Committee
Draft referred to a finished product of the TC that was ready for
general adoption.  Such a product had (at least in our case)
already been through several public reviews and represented a
finished specification that could then be submitted to the OASIS
membership for consideration as an OASIS Standard.

This status still exists in the OASIS process, but following a
revision to the process that took effect in April 2005, a document
at this ready-to-use stage is now called a Committee
Specification.  The term Committee Draft was recycled to refer to
what in UBL 1.0 development we called a Working Draft, the main
procedural difference being that a Committee Draft is a Working
Draft that has been cleared to *begin* public review.  In other
words, in approving the present document as a Committee Draft,
we're roughly where we were in UBL 1.0 development when we began
public review of UBL 0.7.

The important thing to understand here is that a vote to approve
the current draft as a Committee Draft does *not* signify that we
think that UBL 2.0 is ready to be implemented.  It just means that
we're ready to expose the work to the public and ask for their
input.  This is why we're proposing to release it even with a
bunch of issues already identified.  Our announcement of the
beginning of this first public review will, of course, contain a
disclaimer to this effect.

BALLOT TEXT

The question to be voted on reads as follows:

   Resolved,

   1. That the OASIS UBL TC approves the UBL 2.0 draft
      specification currently located at

      http://www.oasis-open.org/apps/org/workgroup/ubl/download.php/16110/wd-UBL-2.0.zip

      as an OASIS Committee Draft.

   2. That the UBL TC chairs and secretaries are authorized to
      make such editorial and formatting changes to the approved
      document as may be required for publication as an OASIS
      Committee Draft.

   3. That the UBL TC chairs and secretaries are authorized to
      submit the approved Committee Draft for OASIS public review
      together with the adjunct materials required by the OASIS
      standardization process.

   4. That the UBL TC chairs and secretaries are authorized to
      make such further editorial and formatting changes to the
      approved Committee Draft as may be requested by OASIS
      Administration to meet the requirements of the OASIS public
      review process.

VOTING REQUIRED

Participation in a CD ballot is not optional for voting members of
the TC.  OASIS rules require "yes" votes from a majority of the
entire voting membership of the TC in order to approve a Committee
Draft.  An abstention or a failure to vote may prevent passage of
the resolutions on the ballot, and a failure to vote will count
against your standing as a voting member of the TC.

enabled the ballot interface to accept abstentions.  You should
understand, however, that in an absolute majority vote such as
this one, an abstention has exactly the same effect as a vote to
disapprove.

Jon Bosak
Chair, OASIS UBL TC