ubl message

Subject: FW: [xml-dev] Problems restricting UBL's AddressType complexType

 I find it amusing that UBL is being faulted for using local element
declarations.  I thought we had agreed that in version 2.0, all element
declarations would be global.  Is this a mistake?

Mark Crawford
SAP Standards Architect
Office: 703 670-0920
Mobile: 703 485-5232
Chair: ISO 15000-5 ebXML Core Components
Lead, UN/CEFACT Core Components Harmonization Project
Vice Chair UN/CEFACT Applied Technologies Group
Chair UN/CEFACT XML Syntax Working Group

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Kay [mailto:mike@saxonica.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 5:12 AM
To: 'Allison Bloodworth'; xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Problems restricting UBL's AddressType
complexType

You might find the Saxon error message slightly more informative:

>java com.saxonica.Validate -t -s
http://groups.sims.berkeley.edu/EventCalendar/UCBAddress.xsd

Error on line 8 of
http://groups.sims.berkeley.edu/EventCalendar/UCBAddress.xsd:
  The content model of the complex type UCBAddressType is not a valid
restriction of the
  content model of the type AddressType. Restricted type allows element
ID
where the base
  type does not

This is a namespace problem. In the base type, the ID element is in the
UBL
namespace. In the derived type, it's in no namespace.

I've never found a satisfactory answer to this problem. Basically, if
you're
trying to define a restriction of a type containing local element
declarations, then your derived type has to be in the same namespace as
the
original - which means in this case that you have to define a new type
in a
namespace that you don't own.

Of course it would have been more helpful if the authors of the UBL base
schema had made the element declarations global.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/