ubl message

Subject: Fw: Status of OASIS IT Implementations

Hello UBL TC,

FYI.

Jon

Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:20:43 -0500
From: Patrick Gannon <patrick.gannon@oasis-open.org>
Subject: [chairs] Status of OASIS IT Implementations
To: chairs@lists.oasis-open.org
Cc: robin.cover@oasis-open.org,
        "'Greg Rundlett'" <greg.rundlett@oasis-open.org>

OASIS TC Chairs,

The OASIS Board of Directors has just concluded our January face-to-face
meeting where, among other topics, we discussed the status of the OASIS IT
Implementation plan.  I would like to convey to you a summary of that
information.

1. Staffing.  Over the past 3 months, we had two of our IT staff leave and
have replaced those positions with very qualified persons.  We have also
budgeted this year to increase our staffing in this group to hire another
software developer.  In addition, Robin Cover has joined us as a full-time
employee serving as Chief Information Architect along with his duties as
Editor of the Cover Pages.  Robin will be setting out our information
architecture and helping to define functional requirements for all future
application systems.

2. Document Management. Developing a solution for storing TC documents that
provides a persistent URI and allows for uploading of documents by TC
members is still a high priority. Our initial plans for deploying last
quarter a secure FTP capability for member uploading into
docs.oasis-open.org proved to be inadequate. The requirements have been
re-written and a prototype interface is being developed.  We will make the
prototype available for review and comments by TC Chairs before we move to
full application development.

3. TC Support Tools.  Over the past 6 months, a number of software tools
were installed in response to requests for OASIS to provide support tools.

Wiki.  The MoinMoin wiki has been installed and configured.  Currently 6 TCs
are using this capability.  If you would like to establish one for your TC,
please send your request to "support@oasis-open.org".

IRC.  An IRC text chat server was installed and is available for use by TCs.
Initial feedback from users has indicated a desire to have additional
features including queue lists and polling on questions.  Further evaluation
is underway to determine a time-frame for adding these features.

Revision Control.  Responding to initial requests for CVS services, a CVS
server was installed in Q3 2005.  After testing and evaluation, it was
decided to install a SVN server instead.  The SVN service was installed in
Q4 and is now available for use in a beta test mode.

Bug Tracking (TC Issues Tracking).  In response to requests for a "bug
tracking" software, IT installed Bugzilla last Q3.  Further evaluation has
revealed that what most TCs need is an issues tracking capability.  Several
Technical Committees are experimenting with issues list tracking (data
collection, linking, publishing) using XML/XSL technologies, in addition to
more traditional approaches (spreadsheets, tables, Wiki pages,
word-processor documents).  The OASIS Technology Services team has a Q1 goal
of assessing the XML/XSL solutions now being prototyped in four TCs, seeking
to recommend one or more of these approaches for general use.

Member Issues Tracking.  We have also seen the need to provide a members
Issues Tracking system to enable OASIS members to submit and track follow-up
to issues related to IT support needs, TC process requests, member services
issues and others. This need is currently being scoped and functional
requirements are to be defined this quarter.

Document Searching.  The Technology Services (IT) department has also made a
high priority to define, develop and deploy a document search capability
this year.  This search service will be designed to enable members and the
public to search for documents and messages across various document
repositories and email archives maintained on OASIS servers.  Requirements
gathering will be conducted in Q1 and early Q2, with development and
deployment to follow.

Focus Areas.  At the request of some TCs, we have developed tools that
enable members to self edit websites that contain news and information about
the adoption of OASIS Standards.  A DITA Focus Area and UDDI Focus Area are
being tested now and will be announced during Q1 2006.  Other TCs will then
be given instructions on how to request and support similar focus areas.
These focus areas are being deployed on the xml.org website.

Software Development Process.  The Technology Services staff has begun
documentation of a software development process document that defines
appropriate procedures to be sure that requirements gathering and
prototype/deployment testing involve the proper set of OASIS members.  While
efforts have been made in the past (and continue today) to involve members
in the design of systems that members will use, we want to do a better job
of formalizing the requirements analysis and testing process to benefit from
input by domain experts and all relevant stakeholders.

More details on the availability of the above mentioned systems will be
provided by my staff in the coming weeks and throughout the year.  If you
have any questions or suggestions, please contact me directly.

Thank you for your active support of the OASIS work.

Best regards,

Patrick Gannon
President & CEO
OASIS
630 Boston Road
Billerica, MA  01821
+1.978.667.5115 x201  - office
+1.978.761.3546       - mobile
Skype: pgannon
www.oasis-open.org

OASIS Symposium: The Meaning of Interoperability, 9-12 May 2006, San
Francisco http://www.oasis-open.org/events/symposium_2006/