ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] UBL 1.0 SBS permanent absolute web location (urls)

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Stephen Green wrote:

> Robin
>
> Many thanks for responding to this (and so quickly)
> This helps a lot as now I see the urls for the public
> review draft of the SBS as
> http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/prd-UBL-1.0-SBS-2/xpaths/xml/XPath/Order-XPath.xml,
> etc
> so I can be sure of the url, given the package name.
> Excellent.

Again, Mary needs to be consulted, but in principle,
the server at 'http://docs.oasis-open.org/' lets us
install files and create directories at will, with
no interference from a CMS.

I see nothing wrong with the example URI (filename),
above, given current practices.

But then there's ASIS:

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/16546/ArtifactStandardIdentificationSchemeForMetadata-1.0.1.pdf

The ASIS document or its successor, when approved as
a Policy by the OASIS Board, may require something
different for future contributions, but we are committed
to maintaining all historic URIs, never breaking links.
Period.

*** Reminder: members of the UBL TC should send in comments
to the OASIS list about ASIS.  It has now been clarified that
the language about the ASIS specification being
"recommended not mandated" is just possibly misleading. [1]

Consider yourselves warned, noting that every
resource instantiated in a "file" is an "Artifact",
which must be associated with required metadata.
UBL spec distributions have a lot of files!

If I understand the ASIS specification, Artifact identifier
strings matching filenames MUST be unique (that's not including
the upper URI path portion, but just the final portion, in the
case of a filename, including "." + "form" (form
essentially filename extension)

I understand "unique" to mean "unique" within the TC's
global name space.  Across all versions, all revisions,
all published drafts, for all time.  This impacts file
naming because as you see in lines 480, 520, 529, 537 etc:

"The filename MUST be the ArtifactIdentifer followed by
the optional literal period and form"

I don't have the official interpretation on this, but if
I were a stakeholder in UBL, I would be looking at this
very carefully.

Norm Walsh noted in his review

  "Changing the names of all the stylesheets and
  schemas and included modules, etc., every time the spec is revised
  may have a significant cost in terms of development time."

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200602/msg00004.html

Robin

============= Notes:

[1] Review of ASIS

The draft document and the memo describing the ASIS review [2]
sent on February 6, 2006 declared that use of the ASIS document
would be:

   "recommended and not mandated"

The characterization "recommended and not mandated" has been
clarified in a memo sent to the (not generally open) OASIS
Chairs list:

   "Our Board of Directors plans to consider in March
    whether to make it [ASIS], or portions of it,
    mandatory policy after the current review is completed."

See:
"Draft ASIS under review: mandatory policy? Please review and comment by 1 March"
From James Bryce Clark <jamie.clark@oasis-open.org> on 18 Feb 2006 07:30:34 -0000
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/chairs/200602/msg00037.html

Perhaps you concluded from the words "recommended and not mandated"
that you could safely ignore the draft ASIS document, or delay
review until some later time; if so, you might want to consider
the implications of the new memo to Chairs: "...mandatory policy"
coming from a decision by the OASIS Board.

[2] Membership and Public Review of OASIS Artifact Standard
    Identification Scheme for Metadata

    Posted to members, tc-announce, oasis-member-discuss

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/members/200602/msg00007.html
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/tc-announce/200602/msg00005.html
http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/oasis-member-discuss/200602/msg00000.html