ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] qDT spreadsheet

here it is back again (for Peter to check into the library).

we need to discuss this further... (Can Jon add it to the agenda and also the PSC and TSC so we get this finalized this week?)

Firstly I discovered that we no longer use AcknowledgementResponseCode (we have dropped it).  So it has gone from the qDT spreadsheet.

Secondly , our models do not specify the use of a UBL code list for AllowanceChargeReasonCode, ChipCode, Currency, Country, LineStatus, Operator, PaymentMeans, SubstitutionStatus  (we dont qualify the general CodeType).  Did we mean to disconnect these from our code lists?  To put this another way:  we only qualify codes for Channel, DocumentStatus, LongitudeDirection and LatitudeDirection. Seems a bit sad after all that debate on code lists methodology  ;-)   I suspect we want to think about updating the models to use more of the code lists we have qualified.

Thirdly, i also think we should update the CodeListURI for all the codes we qualify in UBL 2.0 to have references to our genericcode files.  So the Currency and Country codes,etc should not have a CodeListURI that is a foreign web site - because it wont contain the genericode version (not yet anyway... but maybe one day).  That is, we should provide genericode files for all qualified data types that are codes.

Finally, I added the following qualified code types:

PortCode The set of code values for Trade and Transport Locations
PackagingTypeCode The set of code values for Passengers, Types of Cargo, Packages and Packaging Materials (with Complementary Codes for Package Names)
TransportationStatusCode The set of code values for Trade and Transport Status
TransportModeCode The set of code values for modes of transport
UnitOfMeasureCode The set of code values for Units of Measure Used in International Trade
ContainerSizeTypeCode The set of code values for classifying series 1 freight containers based on external dimensions and specifies the assoziated ratings and, where appropriate, the minimum internal and door opening dimensions for certain types of containers.

I know UnitOfMeasureCode is in the ATG2 schema but we do use this as a standalone BBIE for default measurements.

The good news is I have been able to find the values for most of these from the UN/ECE web site (http://www.unece.org/cefact/recommendations/rec_index.htm).  However, the ContainerSizeType code is not licensed for public distribution (and to see it you have to buy it).  I propose we leave it in the schema and make a note in the genericode file that you need to get the values from ISO.

stephen.green@systml.co.uk wrote:
Here is my part of the qDT spreadsheet stage 1.
I now hand it on to Tim to add Transport codes, etc
and maybe add or remove any procurement codes from
UBL 1.0 if we don't need them or need them.

A note while doing this: I didn't find any candidates
for the XSD 'fixed' attribute, just what I believe
to be appropraite for 'default' so maybe the rule
about fixed isn't needed - perhaps all we need is rule
for default.

I'd note Tony's observation from the Atlantic call that
'default' could be misused or cause problems since it
implies that the supplementary component attribute could
be omitted if it complied with the default. This might
be warned against in what we add for this to the spec
index file: the values should always be explicitly
included in the instance if they are required for some
reason (say a legal reason) since it can't always be
guaranteed that the exactly correct schemas will be
available when the instance document is read.

All the best

Steve