ubl message

Subject: Minutes of Pacific UBL TC call 8|9 May 2006

MINUTES OF PACIFIC UBL TC MEETING
00:30 - 02:30 UTC TUESDAY 9 MAY 2006

ATTENDANCE

   Jon Bosak (chair)
   Stephen Green
   Andy Schoka (returning from Leave of Absence)
   Sylvia Webb

   JB: Note that, as usual, we will not be holding these phone
   conferences the week before or the week after the TC meeting in
   Brussels.  The next Pacific TC call will take place 6 June 2006
   (the evening of 5 June in the Americas).

   SW: We may need to hold an Atlantic working session next week.

STANDING ITEMS

   Additions to the calendar:
      http://ibiblio.org/bosak/ubl/calendar.htm

      JB: Gave back-to-back UBL presentations at the "XML for the
      Financial Industry" conference in Manhattan 3 May.  Well
      received.  Presented the two-phase validation concept for
      the first time and gave a plug for genericode; later talked
      to leaders of MDDL and FPL (FIX) about moving genericode
      forward as a standard.  TonyC, GKH, and I have agreed to
      participate in an OASIS TC for this purpose; we're now
      looking for other participants, especially members from
      OASIS organizations (necessary to begin the TC).

   Liaison report: ebBP TC

      SG: Pim, Monica, and Sacha are giving talks and a tutorial
      at this week's OASIS symposium.  ebBP CS may have to go for
      another ballot.  Monica contacted Kama about the
      CrimsonLogic work; KR sent a very good package for the COO
      business process that will serve as a statement of use.

      AS: Found a new white paper from Dale Moberg and Monica
      Martin about BPSS; good for people needing background.  Also
      an announcement in OASIS News mentions UBL and SBS.

      SG: There will also be a talk at OMG regarding ebBP.

   Subcommittee report: SBSC

      SG: Lots of discussion on ubl-dev; conclusion is that the
      SBS is probably not the best place for data type
      restrictions.  There may be a case for something like the
      code list methodology.

      AS: Similarly, CEFACT is struggling with TDED, which defines
      elements specifically by length and type.

      SW: What drives users and commercial software is in the
      NDRs, not in other supplementary documentation.  We're
      finding nothing that would prevent users from doing what's
      been discussed by Joe Chiusano.  Implementing restrictions
      etc. would require changes to the NDRs -- not in 2.x!

      JB: Not sure that something like the code list methodology
      is the way to do this.  The key realization of the CL
      methodology is that value checking should be separate from
      structure and vocabulary checking.  But in restricting data
      types we're not value checking.

      SW: There are already mechanisms for agreeing on this kind
      of customization.

      SG: Doing this in schema with redefine would require a
      change of namespace, whereas the CL methodology would allow
      restrictions without changing the namespace [or modifying
      the standard schemas].

      SW: We're talking about getting deep into the individual
      ways in which businesses decide how they are going to
      customize... a can of worms...

      SG: We need to allow the addition of steps without changing
      namespace...  Possibly something like the CL association
      file that caters to other data types.  A [prose]
      description, for example: we want to make sure we can keep
      the whole thing on the system, so we might want to add a
      limit.

      JB: [Realizing that his objection noted above might be
      bogus] I need to think about this.

      SW: We need to keep in mind both those users that develop
      solutions from scratch and those that don't....

      JB: SBS2 still waiting till schemas are done?

      SG: Yes, and examples and process descriptions are waiting
      for new schemas as well.

   Subcommittee report: PSC

      SW: Have not had a [quorate] meeting in last two weeks; just
      ML and SW alone yesterday.  There are still many
      dispositions pending.  These need to be presented to the TC.
      Don't know when this is going to happen.  Notice is out for
      meeting tomorrow.

      JB: Procedurally OK to present SC dispositions to the TC in
      Brussels.

      SW: Hoping to present to the TC before Brussels so that we
      can go into that meeting with a spreadsheet.  May be
      proposing an atlantic TC work session next week, or just
      comments via email.

      JB: Email should be good enough, but we will need to have
      the spreadsheet in front of the TC by this Monday at the
      latest to allow a full week of consideration before taking
      up the dispositions in Brussels.

   Review of Atlantic call

      SG: Given no objections to Mavis's note by Wednesday, we
      will have effectively agreed to change FIXED to DEFAULT for
      code lists.

      SW: qDT?

      SG: See minutes of Atlantic call 26 April.  Genericodes are
      in a codelist directory where codelist schemas used to go.
      Reference the genericode relative URLs as metatdata in the
      list URI supplementary component attributes.

      SW: So what I'm looking for is a set of spreadsheets from
      Peter and will just have to wait.

      SG: TM did post spreadsheets with procurement data.

      JB: So we're still missing transport.

      SG: There may still be changes to values in qDT.

   Schedule review
      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200602/msg00016.html

      JB: A lot hinges on whether we can get the PSC issue
      resolutions in front of the TC by the beginning of next
      week; otherwise we will have to spend part of the Brussels
      meeting finishing this.

      SW: We need all of the issues resolved, not just PSC.

BRUSSELS MEETING PLANNING

      JB: Sent a straw agenda to Tim and Mavis in the expectation
      that they would start filling it out, but haven't heard
      anything back.

      SW: Need the list of attendees.

      JB: It's in past minutes.  [Namely, the minutes of the
      Atlantic TC call 29 March 2006.]

ACTION ITEM REVIEW

   ACTION: JB to find meeting facilities in Montreal for August
   meeting.

      JB: Am now attempting to deal directly with summer residence
      rentals at McGill.

   ACTION: JB to user-test GKH's draft 0.4 (see mail of 20 Feb
   with pointer to the repository).

      JB: Hope to make real progress on this while TC is meeting
      in Brussels.

   ACTION: JB to fit this into the support package schedule: add
   lines for PSC example instances, TSC example instances, 2.0 SBS
   for transport, UBP 2 for procurement, UBP 2 for transport.

      Pending.

Jon Bosak
Chair, OASIS UBL TC