ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Evaluation report on UNECE/CEFACT 2005 - recommendationsfor Trade

well spotted Ken and thanks Stephen for following up.

this report is actually old news.

everything i now say has to be qualifed by saying this is my personal
understanding based on having attended 2 CEFACT forums (that occurred
after this report was tabled). as you would appreciate you can spin
these things any way you wish to make a point - but i will try and be
objective.

the current situation of UN/CEFACT within UN/ECE is that the committee
under which UN/CEFACT operates has been reformed and that UN/CEFACT is
to remain a UN project. However, the UN/ECE now requires UN/CEFACT to be
more accountable and demonstrate its effectiveness.

The CEFACT Quarterly report (Nov 2005) states the situation as ....

> Negotiations within the UNECE Commission started in
> September on a working plan on ECE reform. As of early
> November, the Bureau’s understanding of developments within
> the negotiations is that UN/CEFACT will continue with its present
> mandate but under a proposed new “Committee on Trade”.

(http://www.unece.org/cefact/quarterlyreport/No1_221105.pdf)

Then, in the closing meeting of the CEFACT Forum in vancouver (March
2006) the statement was made that:

> The new Executive Committee means that UN/CEFACT and Forum activities
> will have much greater visibility and opportunities for advancing our
> work with the backing of member states through a stronger UNECE
> governance and funding framework

i think this means the UN has clearly decided it wants to stay in the
eBusiness standards world. arguably the review has benefitted UN/CEFACT
in that it has made the UN aware it actually was in the eBusiness
standards world. Having realized it, they want to stay there and will
hopefully put more resources into making CEFACT more effective.

one way they can be immediately more effective is to leverage the work
of UBL.