ubl message

Subject: The Unique Identifier rathole - was: Re: [ubl] Missing Schema Annotationsand other schema matters

i dont want to nit pick here but the CCTS only mandates a Unique
Identifier for either BIEs or CCs when it is to be stored in a Registry.

We have been discussing this ad nauseam since 2002.  i dont want to go
over it again (but i will ;-) ).  in terms of outcomes i agree with what
Syvlia says.  we will generate some numbers from EDIFIX and use these in
our schemas but I dont think we are kidding anyone that they will
actually be useful or maintainable.  They are to stop us having this
debate every time we do a review.

CCTS (2.01) defines a Unique Identifier as "The identifier that
references a Registry Class instance in a universally unique and
unambiguous way."  That is, the storage/registry identifier Stephen
noted earlier.  Nothing to do with the defintion of a BIE or CC.  So it
probably best not to call anything a Unique Identifier unless it is the
storage key for a Registry Class.

As far as identifying definitions of BIE and CCs, the CCTS says when
Applying the Naming Convention (Figure 5-4 ) - "Step 6 Assign Unique
Identifier to the New Item" - this suggests its storage into a registry.
However, in section 5.3.1 CCTS goes on to say  "Step 6. Assign a
Temporary Identifier to the new item in the form of a 6 digit
alphanumeric string, chosen at the discretion of the user."   These
temporary identifiers are also used in the examples of core component
catalogues.  But this identifier does not form part of the Core
Components and Data Types Metamodel (Figure 6-1.) of CCTS.  So I am not
sure when we started thinking of  them as being mandatory.

In fact i am not aware anyone (including the TBG groups) who actually
uses these temporary 6 character strings.  I suspect the motivation for
this was  to make harmonization easier. So it is worth noting that the
new TBG17 format now requires a UUID or GUID type identifier (eg.
cdf11383-243a-4b7e-a573-f73c8415743b) of any BIE or CC from its
submitters.  Maybe this will make it into the next CCTS but it isn't in
2.01.

I suspect the reason this is such a grey area is because we dont
actually need another identifier for BIE or CCs.  That is what the
Dictionary Entry Name does.  Commonsense tells us that having 2 "unique"
identifiers is unnecessary and potentially confusing when we try and
maintain these things.  And it doesn't matter if this identifier is
numeric, english terms or hebrew - we only need one of them. And as we
must have a Dictionary Entry Name, lets make it that one.