ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Namespace URI string implications

At 2006-06-06 11:43 +0200, roberto@javest.com wrote:
>my name is Roberto Cisternino (ITLSC chair).
>I woult like to give my opinion about this matter.

Thank you!

>One of the main reasons UBL is better than past EDI formats is the
>validation which is made possible using a precise WXS Schema based on
>unique namespaces aware of UBL versions.
>
>e.g. urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:Invoice-1.0
>
>I think an UBL document "instance" should be based on a precise namespace
>URI, then inside the schema there could be a sofisticated re-use of
>components by choosing from 1 or more component collections still
>versioned and identified by a precise namespaceURI.

Do you have a comment regarding only using a new precise namespace
for those information items that are subsequently added to a document model?

>In a different way I think it could be hard or impossible to make generic
>software able to deal with different UBL versions and to transform them
>successfully in case of a technology update.

I have done this in a complete stylesheet of fifteen XSLT
instructions (which includes error checking!).  An example is in the
paper I am preparing.

>Maybe there could be a sort of deprecation system, this way an UBL 2.0
>interface could be able to read UBL 1.0 automatically by following
>deprecation instructions... just an idea (could be heavy)

I believe it would not be heavy if we base the deprecation on the
simple concept of the namespace of an information item.

>We had versions using EDIFact or X12 but the translation between versions
>was hard as documents were often invalid.

I believe this would not be the case for namespace-based processing.

>XSLT transformation is a possibility, but maybe a free UBL update service
>(web service) could be a "must".

I'm glad you would be willing to consider XSLT and I hope that you
find the descriptions in my paper of value.  The filtering stylesheet
would be supplied by UBL as part of a support package or even along
with the schemas.  More detail is coming in the paper.

--
Registration open for XSLT/XSL-FO training: Wash.,DC 2006-06-12/16
Also for XSL-FO/XSLT/XML training:    Birmingham, UK 2006-07-04/13