ubl message

Subject: Minutes of Atlantic UBL TC call 7 June 2006

MINUTES OF ATLANTIC UBL TC MEETING
15:00 - 17:00 UTC WEDNESDAY 7 JUNE 2006

ATTENDANCE

   Jon Bosak (chair)
   Peter Borresen
   Tony Coates
   Mavis Cournane
   Michael Grimley
   G. Ken Holman
   Zarella Rendon
   Andy Schoka
   Paul Thorpe
   Sylvia Webb

STANDING ITEMS

   Additions to the calendar:
      http://ibiblio.org/bosak/ubl/calendar.htm

      PB: TBG1 meeting in Brussels 9 June; NES F2F in Helsinki,
      14-15 June.

   Review of Pacific call

      JB: Regarding UN/CEFACT: should also note new CEFACT IPR
      policy; will allow a number of big software vendors to
      participate.

      AGREED with Pacific call decision to freeze features now and
      put further requests for enhancement into a list for 2.1.

      AGREED with Pacific call decision to keep the next public
      review to the two weeks mandated by the OASIS process.

      AGREED with Pacific call regarding approval of our
      representatives to the UN/UBL collaboration activities, etc.

   Schedule review
      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200602/msg00107.html

      PB: Have created final spreadsheets, but prevented by an
      email problem from sending to the list.  Will send directly
      to SW along with the entire FX data model.  Have also
      generated schemas from the latest spreadsheets, but this was
      using the previous version of FX, so the schemas are not
      compliant with current NDR.

      SW: Have the latest version of FX and will begin testing
      this evening, then send the software update to PB.

      ACTION: PB to try to finish the resoluton list Friday and
      send to the ubl list.

      JB: But the resolution list is not the same as a difference
      list.  We will have to think about that for public review.

      PB: We will need release notes.

      JB: We're about two weeks behind if you count editorial work
      that TM and I have to do.

      GKH: If we created an interim package, I could try it out
      with an upcoming class.

      JB: Let's try this: Roll up a new package with the new
      schemas but the old editorial content, just for test
      purposes; GKH tries that out on his class; TM and JB do the
      editorial work, and by that time we have answers to the
      questions currently pending from SW. (AGREED)

MONTREAL UBL TC MEETING

   JB: The lack of internet access at McGill residences eliminates
   them from consideration.  IDEAlliance has agreed to sponsor
   meeting rooms at the Europa (following the Extreme Markup
   conference there) but still needs to confirm that they are
   available, so don't buy tickets yet.  If the rooms come
   through, then we will need to provide projectors.  Also, we
   probably won't have phone access (though we will have internet
   access).

   GKH: Crane can provide one projector.

   ACTION: JB to check on whether we can get the same hotel rates
   as the Extreme participants.

   GKH/ZR: We stay at the Residence Inn on Peel Street; they take
   pets for an extra fee.

NDR WORK SESSION

   Code list enums

      SW: Have to leave meeting now, so will just make this
      comment: Whatever the TC decides is fine, but this is not
      just a GEFEG issue; 80 percent of the Fortune 500 have
      problems customizing solutions [to go beyond XSD
      validation].

      JB: We will have to discuss this later, then.  I thought the
      plan was to provide scripts so that users could generate
      equivalent (but non-normative) schemas in which all of our
      default code list values were embedded as enums so that they
      could just use XSD validation as in 1.0.

      SW: CCTS compliance is the big issue : if you have enums
      (QDTs) they must be based on UDTs.

      MG: I.e., they should all be restrictions of code type.

      PB: I question the allocation of code lists to QDT and UDT
      in the current spreadsheets. QDT is not used for any but the
      ATG1 lists.

      It was noted that next week's Atlantic call would be missing
      PT, SW, AS, MG, and GKH, and possibly PB as well.

      AGREED to discuss this issue further in email and schedule
      final resolution for the Atlantic call 21 June (at which
      time we hope to have MG, MC, and SW as well as others).

      JB: Note that if users generate alternative schemas with
      enums baked in using scripts we provide as planned, then
      there's no requirement that such schemas have to conform to
      our NDRs.  This is exactly what we've been doing with the
      ASN.1 schemas.

   Namespace URIs revisited (oh no!):

      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200606/msg00004.html
      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200606/msg00005.html
      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200606/msg00006.html
      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200606/msg00007.html
      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200606/msg00008.html
      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200606/msg00009.html

      GKH: We're safe for 2.0; the issue is what to do for 2.1.

      ACTION: GKH to publish his paper on this subject in the next
      day or so.  The TC is to study this, provide feedback in
      email, and arrange to discuss it in a later meeting (not
      next week, but perhaps 21 June) and then resolve it in
      Montreal as a support package issue.

   Acronyms:

      http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200605/msg00083.html

      MC: We agreed earlier that the list of acronyms would be a
      separate document managed by the TC as a whole (not the NDR
      editors).  So we need that list, and it has to go in the
      package, and we need a process for getting acronyms
      approved. TM has made suggestions for acronyms to put on the
      list, but we need to have a process around that.

      MG: ATG rules don't have any of the restrictions we do, so
      they have no acronym list.

      MC: How are we going to manage a list?  How often to update?

      JB: We need someone to volunteer to form the list for our
      review and approval.

      ACTION: JB to ask PSC to generate an initial list.

OTHER BUSINESS

   MC: We haven't had any minutes from PSC meetings.

   JB: The issues list has served that purpose for the last month
   or so; anyone who has actually been interested in the content
   work has had access to that.

   JB: Here's an interesting set of initiatives based on
   UBL and partially funded by the European Union:

      http://services.txt.it/abilities/project.html

Jon Bosak
Chair, OASIS UBL TC