ubl message

Subject: RE: [ubl] Proposed withdrawal of my NDR suggestions for ABIE extensibility

At 2006-06-20 13:20 -0700, Sylvia Webb wrote:
>Does this mean that there can be no future minor versions of UBL 2.0?

Not at all, Sylvia, thankfully ... I interpret
David Orchard's general recommendations for XML in a UBL context as follows:

(1) - we leave in the UBL 2 namespace for future minor versions of UBL 2.x

(2) - any new minor versions add only optional
constructs and don't change any existing optional constructs to mandatory

(3) - applications ignore constructs that are in
the UBL 2 namespace that does not recognize

(4) - item (3) is supported by a
translate-before-validate process of stripping a
document of unexpected constructs so that
applications don't have to deal with information items they are not expecting

Items (3) and (4) address Jon's concerns
regarding applications being backward compatible
and not having to change when minor versions are released.

Item (3) does not address Paul Thorpe's issue
regarding heterogeneous network validation
environments for different versions of document
models, unless (4) is implementable in his environment to avoid the problem.

And I think that (1) and (2) are supported by the
existing NDRs, though I'm now looking for chapter
and verse in order to answer your qeustion.  I
note in 2006-05-25 the sentence on lines 687-689:
"The schema set is the versioned entity, all
schema modules within that package are of the
same version, and each version has a unique
namespace" ... I'm assuming that is major version
and not minor version.  Lines 697/698 are
unambiguous about major versions, but I don't see
anything explicit regarding minor versions.  Ah,
found it ... line 819 is explicit regarding minor versions.

I don't see (3) or (4) as NDRs ... they are
implementation guidelines (the leftover subject of my discussion paper).

So, our minor versions (say 2.1) can introduce
new optional elements at the end of ABIEs because
legacy UBL applications (say 2.0) will ignore their presence.

As mentioned before, though, this process will
produce "false positives" in that a 2.0 system
that ignores 2.1 constructs for backward
compatibility will equally ignore
incorrectly-structured or improperly-named 2.1
constructs since these are not being validated or
checked.  They would, then, successfully treat
the 2.0 information in an invalid 2.1 instance
without reporting any 2.1 errors.  I think we can
live with that, since there is no way of knowing
if an unrecognized construct is supposed to be in a unknown document model.

Does this help, Sylvia?

--
Registration open for UBL training:    Montréal, Canada 2006-08-07
Also for XSL-FO/XSLT training:    Minneapolis, MN 2006-07-31/08-04