ubl message

Subject: Information items in 2-prd2-cd minimal instances

As part of the analysis of 2-prd2-cd in the
context of the extension methodology and my
concepts of working with minimal instances of
only mandatory elements, I thought it best to
supplement the XPath report files with a "minimal
mandatory report" for each of the 31 document types:

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/document.php?document_id=19695

Each report enumerates the absolute minimum
mandatory element and attribute information items
for the given document type.  The smallest
instance that would validate with the schema
would be an instance with only (and all) these information items.

The reference numbers at the left are the XPath
reference number from the complete XPath file
that enumerates one of every information item.  I
am unable to put the complete 283Mb XPath package
in the repository, so I've corresponded with
OASIS staff to see how I might do this.

By reviewing the minimal instance information
items, I wonder if the UBL subject matter experts
might detect any faults in the model design.

I was interested to see what information items
are, I believe, those that would need to be
supported in a "minimal implementation" as I
described to Jay in my response quoted below.

While the vast majority of transactions accepted
and processed by a system would be instances
meeting all of the business rules of the
recipient, in a "minimal mode of operation"
selectively engaged by the recipient in order to
transact with a new business partner not meeting
the business rules, the system could act solely
on the minimal mandatory information which is
guaranteed to be found in instances of *all* UBL
implementations.  This suspension of business
rules would not be the norm as eventually the
sender would change their system, or the
transaction with the sender might just be a
one-off, but for that period of time that the
sender does not meet the complete business rules
of the receiver, the receiver could transact
(with the required non-electronic support
information) with the minimal instances.

The question is, are there sufficient mandatory
information items in the minimal document models with which to do this?

I hope this is considered helpful.

--
UBL/XML/XSLT/XSL-FO training:         Vårø, Denmark 06-09-25/10-06
Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/o/bc