ubl message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Re: Thoughts on Ken's UBL Customization document - gkholman-ubl-modeling-0.4

Like Stephen, I will not be part of the face-to- face discussion but I
am going through this document with great interest (and agreement).  I
have only got to the end of section 4, but some of the biggest
revelations are that ...

a. The title should be more confident.  I suggest we call this "UBL
Customization: subsets, extensions, versions - validation and
conformance".  I suspect this will be the focus of the way ahead for UBL
and we should grasp the scope from the outset.
b. I get what you mean by serendipity but jay is right, it is the wrong
word. it really describes the ability to extend reach of trading
partnerships without additional programming of interfaces.  It is more
like a 'leveraging investment' potential.
b. the application model you paint in your scenarios is not typical.
what you describe (not unexpectedly) is a common interface approach.  it
describes a new application for creating everyone's documents.  i think
we need an application-to-application scenario.  so it may be better to
view this as Training Company's application needs to create CES, ATS,and
NES invoice documents.  Training Compnay dont normally want to create
their Invoices and suck it into their application - they want their
application to create the Invoice.  They already have their information
inside their application.
c. you say in 4.3 "I'm not familiar with any other scheme that employs
exhaustive enumeration, but I'm feeling more and more confident this is
the way to go. The critical nature of this, though, indicates it should
be one of the higher priority action items when exploring this
approach."  Well 20 years of EDI translation software has been based on
this approach. Check out http://www.edi-center.com/edi-translator.htm.
Basically, what they call an EDI Translator is the application that
tests conformity based on a proprietary version of  what you call an
XPath text report. What they call a map is the XPath instance report.

I will respond later when I have completed the remaining sections.

PS
i am getting a real urge to do some editing and add some diagrams to
make it a bit less technical. Perhaps the next version after the plenary
discussions?

--
regards
tim mcgrath